Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blown seals on Malibu trailer- The Vault

Agman

I have seen small amounts of rear seal and cap leakage, which is considered normal.  The spring loaded piston at the center of the cap provides a slight amount of pressure to prevent water from entering the hub.  As long as the piston sticks out there is enough grease to properly lubricate the hub, so it also works as a grease level indicator.

Many leaks are caused by expansion of the lubricant when the hub/disc gets very hot.  Excessive heat is often caused by dragging brakes.  Make sure to push the breakaway cable release lever near the ball mount on the underside of the actuator before towing so you know it isn't causing the brakes to drag.  Contaminated brake fluid or air in the system can also cause problems.  It is easy for the brake system to get contaminated with water, especially if the master cylinder gets submerged.  Sometimes towing techniques or hitch height can cause the brakes to drag as well.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

They all move. I cleaned them all real good and I will monitor over the next few short trips. It wasn't new grease so Maybe it was just overfilled?

More likely it got hot can't really overfill them.

ahopkins22LSV
9 hours ago, csleaver said:

I have seen small amounts of rear seal and cap leakage, which is considered normal.  The spring loaded piston at the center of the cap provides a slight amount of pressure to prevent water from entering the hub.  As long as the piston sticks out there is enough grease to properly lubricate the hub, so it also works as a grease level indicator.

Many leaks are caused by expansion of the lubricant when the hub/disc gets very hot.  Excessive heat is often caused by dragging brakes.  Make sure to push the breakaway cable release lever near the ball mount on the underside of the actuator before towing so you know it isn't causing the brakes to drag.  Contaminated brake fluid or air in the system can also cause problems.  It is easy for the brake system to get contaminated with water, especially if the master cylinder gets submerged.  Sometimes towing techniques or hitch height can cause the brakes to drag as well.

As always, thank you. Brakes seem fine but I’ll remember to push the release lever before trips. The brakes feel fine and I’m level to the truck when towing.