Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Brake Setting Dodge Ram

TexasTurner

On 3/26/2019 at 12:10 PM, oldjeep said:

Hmm, I wouldn't say for sure that my 2018 doesn't act the same way.  I turned it off when towing because I didn't like the beeping everytime I put it in reverse. 

That’s exactly what it was! Turned off the parking sensor and it fixed the problem. I’m assuming it’s some sort of accident avoidance system that my 2016 didn’t have. You would assume that the truck would know you had a trailer hooked up somehow. 🤷🏼‍♂️

What @kerpluxal said should work.  Not a bad idea to have a lockout key. I made one..no biggie. Also if the trailer plug isnt in all the way, or is loose for some reason, the lockout solenoid wont get the signal and wont engage. Happened to me before.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:54 PM, TexasTurner said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn’t find the answer on the forum. I just got a new tow rig, 2019 Dodge Ram 1500. Unlike my last Ram this one actually has trailer brakes. I am towing a Malibu 21 MLX and was curious as to what my trailer brake setting should be, there are four options: light electric, heavy electric, light electric over hydraulic, and heavy electric over hydraulic. I seriously have no idea which one to pick or how to set the amount of braking applied, i.e. 4.5, 10.0, 12.0 etc...

The other interesting thing happened a few months ago. I drove a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 while I was getting my truck worked on. I hauled my boat to storage with the loaner (with trailer brakes) and the brakes kept locking up when I was backing into the storage building. I am hoping that this doesn’t happen with this truck. Is there something I need to add or do before backing the trailer? I keep seeing something about wiring up something to the back up light, a reverse lockout key etc. I have no idea what those are or why I would need to do that for a 2018 Boat and 2019 truck. 

Any help would be appreciated!!

Assume you have surge DISC brakes on the trailer?  I was told that Surge Disc brakes require the "5th" pin have power when going into reverse as others mentioned to deactivate the disc brakes.  Do you have reverse lights on the trailer.  Are they going on?     Check the connector with a test light.  One last thing is to check the fuse block to make sure there is a fuse installed.  Saw on another site where that was not the case

Below is from a trailer parts site on troubleshooting brakes "working in reverse"

Brakes work in reverse when you don’t want them to.

The principle of surge brake operation says that the brakes will apply whenever the trailer “pushes” against the truck while in motion. The reverse side effect of this is that in reverse, the truck can “push” against the trailer also causing the brakes to apply. If for instance you were backing up on soft grass or mud, (or uphill) the trailer really doesn’t want to back up easily, but must be forced by the truck. This is enough to apply the trailer brakes. The harder you try to force the trailer, the harder the trailer brakes apply. Trailer surge brake manufacturers deal with this in different ways:

1) Use “Free Backing” brake assemblies on the axle that allow the brakes to disengage only in reverse. This is the most common method.

2) Use an electric solenoid valve that allows the brake fluid to bypass back to the reservoir while in reverse. The electric valve is wired to the reverse lights on the tow vehicle. This ensures the brakes only bypass in reverse. This is the second most common method, usually seen on boat trailers more than other types of trailers. This system usually uses a 5 pin flat plug trailer wiring connector instead of a standard 4 pin electrical connector.

3) Use a mechanical pin to prevent the surge actuator from compressing and building up pressure. This pin is supposed to be used when backing up only, but if left installed can prevent the brakes from operating-even if traveling in forward. This is a very uncommon method.

4) Use a manual valve that bypasses brake fluid to the reservoir. It requires the operator to manually open the bypass valve when in reverse, but to remember to close the valve before towing in forward motion. This is also a very uncommon method.

.   Hope that helps.  Good luck.