Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
eubanks

Surf Setup - 23 LSV

Recommended Posts

eubanks

We just hit the beak-in hours so I took a quick surf set. I guess I underestimated the effort involved to dialing in the setup. I ran 100% ballast mid and bow, about 75% starboard rear, 50% port rear, and surf right. Then we played with speed and wedge. Everything between 10mph and 12 mph and no wedge to vert to ramp wedge. The surf wake was terrible. Small pocket and very little push. I was shocked the stock wake wasn’t better which had me thinking I am doing something wrong. Sorry, this is the only pic I have that my 10 year old daughter took  

 

What is your setup?

 

08664007-48B1-452E-B102-1D0EFF15A138.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NHolladay

I say slam all sacks full.  The beauty if the setup is you no longer need to have the boat weighted to oneside. So the 50 75 split may actually be fighting generating a good wave.  Weight weight and equal weight.  If you have PNP fill those too.  I do not think you will be diappointed.  Let the state of the art systems do the work. Sounds even easier than what you are doing, guessing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eubanks

You might be right. One guy at our dealership had me convinced a little lean is still helpful. Yeah, we have PNP so might just need to get everything at 100% next time. Only had one adult and 2 kids in the boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider

Wow, that looks terrible. Did you have plug n play hooked up and full? Next time, fill all, set speed to somewhere around 11, wedge two clicks up, and adjust from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bbattiste247
Posted (edited)

I have a 2019 25 lsv and I fill it and I also put in 500lbs of additional weight. It took hardly any time dialing in the wave and it is phenomenal. I know the 2019 23 lsv is different than a 2017 23 lsv, but we tried every combination possible. After 170 hours, we finally dialed it in.. with all ballast and pnps full and a 5-600lbs ballast bag in the walkway just below the walk through window. Try that and I guarantee you won't be unhappy! Don't put the weight in the bow because that holds the bow down too much. With weight in the walkway, it puts the weight in the mid section of the boat displacing more water.   

Edited by bbattiste247

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cole2001

Start 100/100 in rear and add subtract weight if you need a little list.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
8 hours ago, SCMike said:

It’s extremly easy to get a great wave out of your boat.  I just fill everything up 100% and surf.  Here is my set up...

1. All hard tanks 100%

2. 600# PNP 100% full both sides

3. Speed = 10.8

4. Wedge = 2 clicks from ramp

thats it. 

This season I’m trying 300# of lead  (100# in the bow and 200# right behind the windshield). It not needed, but I like to tinker and want to see how it impacts the wave. 

:plus1: 

Hit “fill all”. Wait for everything to fill. Set to his speed and wedge 2-3, maybe even 4 for PW3 as the positions changed a bit and go. 

Really all you should be tweaking is your preferred speed and wedge position. Malibu’s recommendation for PNP bags are 570’s fwiw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NWBU
Posted (edited)

Agree with the others on setup. You may still tweak things a little afterwards but that basic setup will get you rolling.

I’d also get a surf rope attached to the tower since that’s going to be a way easier launch, especially for any newbies you guys take out.

Edit: I took this pic with the same setup, and a couple extra folks in the boat.

379202A9-DC40-4A25-B31D-500593F8E262.thumb.jpeg.2f6536fb8820fd58ec4d6d1532e6535e.jpeg

Edited by NWBU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay

How did the M5 do while surfing? Curious what rpm it was running at. 

And your wave experience sounds very much like my demo... I was very worried about the wave after the demo and started a long thread on the topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eubanks
34 minutes ago, gregtay said:

How did the M5 do while surfing? Curious what rpm it was running at. 

It did great with the 2249.  I just took one quick set and did not have the wife checking on the RPM's.  Hopefully I can get that for you soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wdr
33 minutes ago, gregtay said:

How did the M5 do while surfing? Curious what rpm it was running at. 

And your wave experience sounds very much like my demo... I was very worried about the wave after the demo and started a long thread on the topic.

 

 

16 hours ago, eubanks said:

We just hit the beak-in hours so I took a quick surf set. I guess I underestimated the effort involved to dialing in the setup. I ran 100% ballast mid and bow, about 75% starboard rear, 50% port rear, and surf right. Then we played with speed and wedge. Everything between 10mph and 12 mph and no wedge to vert to ramp wedge. The surf wake was terrible. Small pocket and very little push. I was shocked the stock wake wasn’t better which had me thinking I am doing something wrong. Sorry, this is the only pic I have that my 10 year old daughter took  

 

What is your setup?

 

08664007-48B1-452E-B102-1D0EFF15A138.jpeg

From the looks of what you posted weight wise you need to bury the gates or they wont be able to do their jobs. Like others have said, max weight and empty as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wdr

I have 3 hours on my M5 with the 2773 so I can't really comment on speed or rpms just yet. Plus the current was running 4 mph so it really screwed with the observed speed via gps and not the paddle wheel. One thing is for sure, you better hit the "docking mode" when you are trailering up with that prop or you will be in the back of the truck real quick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eubanks
33 minutes ago, wdr said:

From the looks of what you posted weight wise you need to bury the gates or they wont be able to do their jobs. Like others have said, max weight and empty as needed.

Thanks, going to try that...everything at 100%.  I was surprised how little those gates extend outward beyond the side of the boat.  I guess it makes sense and doesn't take much.  I just would have thought that weight setup would have been a halfway decent wake...not completely unsurfable ropeless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eubanks
3 hours ago, NWBU said:

I’d also get a surf rope attached to the tower since that’s going to be a way easier launch, especially for any newbies you guys take out.

Edit: I took this pic with the same setup, and a couple extra folks in the boat.

 

Yeah, we normally surf off the tower but our surf ropes are shorter as the pocket on our old boat was so close to the back of the boat.  People were coiling up lots of rope to get up to the wave so I took out some sections.

 

And your wake is crazy good.  Hard to believe that we just need to add a few more hundred pounds in the rear and it will turn from crap into that, but I sure hope so! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronnie

FWIW, we run just like the Presets are. We tweak the wave with more or less Wedge and speed. I have found that the PnP bags aren't completely full when the rear tanks shut off. You can add more to the bags after that but I have found that it's not needed. If you start sinking your gates too much, you aren't helping the wave. Also, when it's just me and one other person in the boat, I put a 650 Sumo in the walkway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eubanks

Here’s a quick video as we were messing with the speed. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wdr

I have a lot to learn and get used to on this '19. Never had SG or a surf pipe so the whole, I can hear everything is kind of unnerving I guess maybe even a little uninspiring coming from a boat with a louder exhaust. I know it is going to perform well, I just haven't gotten to that point yet. The wife had a couple observations that I thought she was crazy when she said it. Compared to my '10, she said it was a narrower interior. I chalked that up to a black hull and grey GS. Sure enough, @ 3" narrower by the tape measure. Deeper seats for that. And she said it was more weight transfer sensitive laterally. Wasn't for sure on that, but it does kind of seem like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

@eubanks you have plug n play bags right? That wake looks like a wave with no bags. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
G Spot
7 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

@eubanks you have plug n play bags right? That wake looks like a wave with no bags. 

At 50%, there probably isn't much water in the bags. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eubanks
3 minutes ago, G Spot said:

At 50%, there probably isn't much water in the bags. 

Half-full right?  Isn't that the marketing of these new monitoring systems...monitoring the weight of the bag and tank together?  Come on @G Spot!  :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wilster

agree with much of the above.  Fill everything up and then play with speed and wedge.  Start with 10.8 and wedge 2-3 clicks up.  General rules: more speed = longer wave, not as steep, but better for tricks and advanced riders.  Full wedge = steep/short wave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eubanks
18 minutes ago, wdr said:

I have a lot to learn and get used to on this '19. Never had SG or a surf pipe so the whole, I can hear everything is kind of unnerving I guess maybe even a little uninspiring coming from a boat with a louder exhaust. I know it is going to perform well, I just haven't gotten to that point yet. The wife had a couple observations that I thought she was crazy when she said it. Compared to my '10, she said it was a narrower interior. I chalked that up to a black hull and grey GS. Sure enough, @ 3" narrower by the tape measure. Deeper seats for that. And she said it was more weight transfer sensitive laterally. Wasn't for sure on that, but it does kind of seem like it.

Same here.  I've only been in the newer boats at the shows but not much on the water.  There is more side-to-side weight sensitivity than my 2005 for sure.  I made the same remark to my wife.  We will keep some extra lead to balance out the boat.  We've also gotten the narrower comment from family that was on our old boat a lot and we figured it was seat width since the beam is the same as our old boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bbattiste247
45 minutes ago, wdr said:

I have a lot to learn and get used to on this '19. Never had SG or a surf pipe so the whole, I can hear everything is kind of unnerving I guess maybe even a little uninspiring coming from a boat with a louder exhaust. I know it is going to perform well, I just haven't gotten to that point yet. The wife had a couple observations that I thought she was crazy when she said it. Compared to my '10, she said it was a narrower interior. I chalked that up to a black hull and grey GS. Sure enough, @ 3" narrower by the tape measure. Deeper seats for that. And she said it was more weight transfer sensitive laterally. Wasn't for sure on that, but it does kind of seem like it.

I had a 2010 Malibu 247 (24' 7") and I used to set a twin blow up mattress on the floor between the seats with plenty of room to spare. I now own a 2019 25 lsv (25 feet) and I doubt if a twin mattress would even fit on the floor of the boat due to, IMO, deeper seats.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NHolladay
On 3/25/2019 at 10:24 AM, NWBU said:

Agree with the others on setup. You may still tweak things a little afterwards but that basic setup will get you rolling.

I’d also get a surf rope attached to the tower since that’s going to be a way easier launch, especially for any newbies you guys take out.

Edit: I took this pic with the same setup, and a couple extra folks in the boat.

379202A9-DC40-4A25-B31D-500593F8E262.thumb.jpeg.2f6536fb8820fd58ec4d6d1532e6535e.jpeg

I would say this wave is a bit better.  Ha ha.  You can have this too.  I seriously  laughed out loud that this is a similar boat the original pic looks like  someone making a wave on an old skier.  This is a thing of beauty.  I guess it is truly about setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...