Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Bow Strap.... Option??

gregtay

This is a slight tangent to the conversation.  Isn't that safety strap there primarily to be of use when loading and unloading the boat?  I've never thought about it till now.  But when I was 7 my father told me that strap was there to catch the boat in case something went wrong with the winch when it was in unwind mode and you were on the ramp and couldn't control it.  It made sense to me at the time, still does, and I haven't really given it much thought since.  Every boat trailer I've had came with that attach.  Is it also supposed to do something for safety when underway?

8 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

This is a slight tangent to the conversation.  Isn't that safety strap there primarily to be of use when loading and unloading the boat?  I've never thought about it till now.  But when I was 7 my father told me that strap was there to catch the boat in case something went wrong with the winch when it was in unwind mode and you were on the ramp and couldn't control it.  It made sense to me at the time, still does, and I haven't really given it much thought since.  Every boat trailer I've had came with that attach.  Is it also supposed to do something for safety when underway?

The safety strap is there incase the winch strap breaks - which could happen going down the highway or in a crash.  It should always be on.  I take it off before I back the boat in the water because I have had issues with the 2 hooks binding on each other when the boat starts floating and making it tough to remove it.

Edited by oldjeep
34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The safety strap is there incase the winch strap breaks - which could happen going down the highway or in a crash.  It should always be on.  I take it off before I back the boat in the water because I have had issues with the 2 hooks binding on each other when the boat starts floating and making it tough to remove it.

I would never run without a safety strap on the bow of the trailer and can't believe it is an "option".  Way too easy for the winch switch to get flipped in the wrong direction (but one of my kids... of my just messing up) and that latch has a much higher likelihood of failure than anything else (besides tires) on the trailer.  

2 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I would never run without a safety strap on the bow of the trailer and can't believe it is an "option".  Way too easy for the winch switch to get flipped in the wrong direction (but one of my kids... of my just messing up) and that latch has a much higher likelihood of failure than anything else (besides tires) on the trailer.  

Funny thing is that you rarely see safety straps or chains on inboard trailers.  Both of my Bayliner trailers came with them, but I had to add one to my Malibu.  To this day my Father in-law still doesn't run transom straps or a safety chain/strap on his Response trailer, no matter how much crap I give him about it.  (He does finally have a spare tire)

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, gregtay said:

There is another option for the trailer named "Ground Lighting"... anyone have any clue what that is?

The Ground Lighting option is the Malibu Sun emblem shining on the ground when the trailer lights are on (you can only see it at night). Kind of fun and looks cool, but definitely not a safety thing.

I had a winch strap break going down a rural road. It wasn't in to bad of shape yet, but I had been thinking of replacing it. A utility company put some trench plates down with no warning signs. And they were not placed very well. If you hit a trench plate at 55 mph,  you will be glad you have a safety cable. Probably not 100% what saved the boat, but it had to help.

Is this a new option in 2019?  I don’t recall my 2017 or 2018 having this as an option when ordering.  In fact in all my years boating I’ve never even seen one of these on a trailer. 

23 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Is this a new option in 2019?  I don’t recall my 2017 or 2018 having this as an option when ordering.  In fact in all my years boating I’ve never even seen one of these on a trailer. 

Yeah, I didn't see it as an option for 2018 either but it's on the 2019 option list as an $83 add.

15 hours ago, jwl019 said:

I ordered this for my '18 LSV for the bow safety cable since mine did not have one, I did have the transom straps:

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/products/18-bow-safety-trailer-cable-with-spring-loaded-latch-hook-ptc-7000-18-18s

Dumb question but how did you attach the end without the latch hook to the trailer?  We used to run a safety chain on our old trailer but it beat the crud out of our trailer. I like their cable one as we don’t have a safety chain on our 2019. 

6 hours ago, eubanks said:

Dumb question but how did you attach the end without the latch hook to the trailer?  We used to run a safety chain on our old trailer but it beat the crud out of our trailer. I like their cable one as we don’t have a safety chain on our 2019. 

By drilling a hole and bolting it on. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, eubanks said:

I had a eye to hook it to already on my Malibu trailer.  I went to the hardware store and looked for options.

I used one like this, but don't remember exactly what size:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Covert-1-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Repair-Link-2Cd/999909243

Other option was something like this:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Reese-3-1-8-ft-Weldless-Metallic-Steel-Chain/3167751

9 hours ago, NWBU said:

Yeah, I didn't see it as an option for 2018 either but it's on the 2019 option list as an $83 add.

I’ve never had to check that box.  All my boats have been on boatmate and 1 Zieman.  I guess this is another option Malibu feels some customers don’t need/want?  :innocent:

15 hours ago, NWBU said:

If that is the case, I like the $10 option above better

19 hours ago, AKjoe said:

I just bought this one from Amazon for $6.  Looks a bit lightweight (3/16” chain links).  Hopefully the load required to keep the boat from sliding off the trailer on the ramp isn’t more than a few hundred pounds.  If it fails l’ll let y’all know. :) 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001445JZ2

That is the same one I use

• 1 month later...

Speaking of transom tie downs, what load rating are people using? 

I bought a new set yesterday for my 01 sunsetter lxi that has 1000lb safe load rating and 3000lb break strength. 

I usually run them very snug, how strong are the transom eyes? 

On 3/22/2019 at 7:11 AM, jwl019 said:

I ordered this for my '18 LSV for the bow safety cable since mine did not have one, I did have the transom straps:

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/products/18-bow-safety-trailer-cable-with-spring-loaded-latch-hook-ptc-7000-18-18s

Thanks for sharing this link.  I just ordered this for my 2018 Malibu trailer.  Do you know if this comes with hardware to install  it?  

6 hours ago, SCMike said:

Thanks for sharing this link.  I just ordered this for my 2018 Malibu trailer.  Do you know if this comes with hardware to install  it?  

It does not, I just went to a hardware store and bought an add a link chain piece. Like this:

Screenshot_20190521-072826_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, jwl019 said:

It does not, I just went to a hardware store and bought an add a link chain piece. Like this:

Screenshot_20190521-072826_Chrome.jpg

Thanks, and good Idea on the Add a link.  Looks like Home Depot or Lowe’s will have something for me.