Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Your Winter Repairs/Upgrades/Add-ons

hawaiianstyln

56 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Dang , you get that done in 2 months that’s impressive 

I’ve got a head start. All of the powder coating and window tint is done and ready to start installing next week. The surf system is built out and ready to install. The racks are ready to go as well. The stereo, LEDs and ballast will be one big install but doable. Not looking forward to the motor mounts. I’m ordering the Gatorstep next week. 

Its going to be some work but it will all be worth it. 

66ED43AD-F343-4E95-B923-AF56B4E6ED6F.jpeg

Adding a new amp to segregate the tower speakers.  I have 2 xm7's and 2 xm 9 Exiles that were on 1 channel.

I want to upgrade my prop from a 1235 to a 2419 or 2315.  Not sure what the best option is.  Surf and ski at 3300'.  Looking for some feedback.

I want to pull my trailer fenders and repaint or chrome. 

Add a hangtyte to my evolution tower.  It is a 8 year old cover that needs some TLC.

ahopkins22LSV
25 minutes ago, Malibuzer said:

Adding a new amp to segregate the tower speakers.  I have 2 xm7's and 2 xm 9 Exiles that were on 1 channel.

I want to upgrade my prop from a 1235 to a 2419 or 2315.  Not sure what the best option is.  Surf and ski at 3300'.  Looking for some feedback.

Add a hangtyte to my evolution tower.  It is a 8 year old cover that needs some TLC.

What’s your surf setup and what speed do you Ski at? I’d be nervous going to the 2419. You wot speed might be 31-32ish

2 hours ago, Malibuzer said:

I'm at 3000 ft with the 2419.  WOT @ 5000 rpm is 36/37 mph.  5.7 LCR 2011 vride 21. 08 vlx hull.  2315 or 2313 may be the way to go but I havent run one of those to give you any data.

3 hours ago, eubanks said:

This is genius.  You guys just unscrew the bow speakers and cram a 50# lead wake bag in there?  No concerns on it pulling wires out or it sliding around in there?  I hate bow bags so usually put weight in the walkway.  But this idea is great to get more weight up there permanently.  

Yeah, that’s all I did.  You can actually fit more weight, but I was worried about pulling on the wires as I shoved it in place. 50# was easy and it’s wedged in pretty good, I don’t anticipate it moving at all.  If had 25# bags i could have probably fit another 75# on each side, as they would be easier to handle and put into place. 

My winter projects; Though I'm looking to put her in March 17th or 23rd.

Already done in January

• New powder coated dash to replace peeling chrome dash
  • New fuel sender (was getting the dreaded, always at 3/4 tank with the stock sender)

To Do

• Add docking cleats
  • Reversible Pump for 750# bags in back.
  • Perfect Pass (got a used unit for Christmas)
  • New Amp and Head unit (previous one had blown by previous owner)

Summer List

• Bimini Top with Surf Pockets
  • Rear Seat tray
2 hours ago, Malibuzer said:

That looks awesome.  I've got a factory cover that is just horrible about collecting water.  Can't find much as far as reviews on the hangtyte, have you used it before?

32 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Yeah, that’s all I did.  You can actually fit more weight, but I was worried about pulling on the wires as I shoved it in place. 50# was easy and it’s wedged in pretty good, I don’t anticipate it moving at all.  If had 25# bags i could have probably fit another 75# on each side, as they would be easier to handle and put into place. 

DId you do this with 8" or 6.5" bow speakers?  I've got 6.5" and curious if the 50lb bags fit through that hole as well.

I have the Hangtyte on my cover (CS Malibu cover came with it - maybe because I bought the boat from Cobe, the inventor) and it works fantastic. Good strong ratchet that forms a tight teepee which drains all water. If you are installing yourself - be sure to mount biased towards the rear seats, not directly under the tow swivel. The loosest area that tries to puddle is directly in front of the rear bench just inside the gunwales. As long as the Hangtyte is rear biased, it will lift these areas enough to drain. I have seen a few mounted more central to the seating area directly below the tow point, and those installations puddle. It may be best to test with a 2X4 or stick to confirm best position, even spray water from hose to confirm?

With 23' and 24' boats, you will probably need two. I can get away with one on my 21'.

Edited by lonestar
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, browneye253 said:

That looks awesome.  I've got a factory cover that is just horrible about collecting water.  Can't find much as far as reviews on the hangtyte, have you used it before?

I have thought about installing the actual hangtyte or just install a nice reinforced loop that can be used with a simple pull style strap. 

Lots of people in my area use Hangtye.  The only thing I would think may be a disadvantage is that you need to cut a hole in the cover.  A reinforced loop would not require a cutout.

6 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

What’s your surf setup and what speed do you Ski at? I’d be nervous going to the 2419. You wot speed might be 31-32ish

I have 2 750's plumbed in on top of the stock tanks.  Using a homemade gate and a 250 lb triangle bag in the bow.  All stock tanks full and about 10 mph.

I slalom at 32-34 mph.  Depends on the conditions of both the water and the fat guy my wife is towing!

My dealer keeps the 2135 in stock.  It might be the better fit.

ahopkins22LSV
29 minutes ago, Malibuzer said:

I have 2 750's plumbed in on top of the stock tanks.  Using a homemade gate and a 250 lb triangle bag in the bow.  All stock tanks full and about 10 mph.

I slalom at 32-34 mph.  Depends on the conditions of both the water and the fat guy my wife is towing!

My dealer keeps the 2135 in stock.  It might be the better fit.

I’d definitely try the 2315 then I think it will do just fine for you. It will push your surfing weight and should still be ok at your ski speeds. And I’d ask your if you could just try it for a weekend. 

21 hours ago, browneye253 said:

DId you do this with 8" or 6.5" bow speakers?  I've got 6.5" and curious if the 50lb bags fit through that hole as well.

I did this with 8” speakers on a 2018 23lsv.

im sure the bags will fit through a 6 1/2 in hole,  but not sure how much room you have behind your speakers.  I’d suggest you pull a speaker really quick and see what kind of room you are working with. 

Edited by SCMike
  • Like 1
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, Malibuzer said:

Love my Hangtyte system!

Already done:

• 4 new trailer tires
  • Bled trailer brakes
  • Full clean and wax on the trailer.
  • New engine spark plugs and impeller
  • Stereo system tuned
  • NOCO 3 bank battery maintainer with remote outlet installed

Still on the list to finish:

• Replace FCC fuel filter and fuel/water separator filter
  • Replacing trailer bunk carpet (getting worn) with synthetic "Gatorbak" bunk covers. Replacing the 2x6 P.T. wood at same time.
  • Grease rudder box, lube all moving parts, spray engine with fluid film
  • Change transmission oil
  • Change engine oil /filter
  • Gel-coat polish and then wax the boat

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

• Replacing trailer bunk carpet (getting worn) with synthetic "Gatorbak" bunk covers. Replacing the 2x6 P.T. wood at same time.

Never heard of Gatorbak, I will have to look that up.  I wonder if anyone has replaced their wood bunks and transitioned to TREX or a composite so you never have to worry again.  AND, maybe the cost of that is not worth what it cost to just replace the treated wood. 

21 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Never heard of Gatorbak, I will have to look that up.  I wonder if anyone has replaced their wood bunks and transitioned to TREX or a composite so you never have to worry again.  AND, maybe the cost of that is not worth what it cost to just replace the treated wood. 

I have heard of people trying the TREX, but I think with gelcoat, it is too hard a material. Also not sure how you would secure it without having the potential for a bolt or lag to potentially damage your boat hull, you could countersink I suppose..but biggest issue from a couple posts I saw, is that its so slick and you can potentially lose the boat.

http://gatorbak.com/

The Gatorbak is a synthetic compound with small "ribs" on the top and supposed to be similar to carpet as far as hold on the boat. They make it too fit 2x4 or 2x6 bunks as well as other sizes for trailers and boat lift bunks. Cost is higher, but this stuff last way longer than carpet and is better for the boat. One benefit for the Gatorbak is it also greatly reduces chances of transferring invasive species from lake to lake. Carpet wears out every few years, even without power loading (I idle boat onto trailer, then have wife or friend slowly reverse the trailer under my boat till close then winch it the last 2ft so strap has tension)....my biggest issue with carpet tho is that the carpet collects debris, sand, etc and it scratches my black hull. It also holds water a lot longer, so it can cause gelcoat blisters (luckily not been an issue for me) and also rots the P.T. boards much faster.

Gatorbak is sold in pairs. My boat has 2x6 bunks and needs 2) 4ft; 2) 8ft & 2) 12ft pieces. I ordered the BG550, a pair of 12ft and a pair of 14ft pieces (I will cut the 8ft & 4ft pieces out of the 14 footers). I paid $453 delivered. I did not buy any of the accessories from their site, I figured I can make my own end caps for the backs of the 2x6 and current bunks have a 45 degree angle cut on them which I plan to match on the new 2x6 P.T. I got. Even tho my bunks are not rotten, I figure its worth replacing them since my boat/trailer is 2014. I also wanted to buy black stainless screws so they blend in better since screws secure the covers on sides of the bunks. I received my order the other day and this stuff looks really heavy duty. The couple other options I have seen like this stuff ( there is one called "Caliber bunk covers" but its really thin and frankly looks like crap after installed cause it doesn't stay flat and many reviews said it split. Its much cheaper too. Anyway, I figure its worth it for me since I plan to keep my boat.