Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do you dump your ballast while underway?

BigCreek

I am all about maximizing water sports time... so I start to fill as soon as i have my crew on board, and push off from the dock.   I always have some idle time to get out of the no wake zone, and at my normal lake there is another 500 yards or so of no ski zone.   I usually stay at or near idle while we traverse that area, and whoever is first up is getting geared up and ready.   By the time the first surfer is ready, I often am in the clear, if not I may throttle up a bit to get there - but generally dont try to get in plane when fully loaded, mostly as a matter of gas consumption.

As was said previously, when the last person is in, Ill hit the go home button while we are stowing gear.   Usually the tanks are empty enough by the time that is done to get up on plane easily enough.

No matter what, I always drain again before I recover, and almost always get a little more out.   The post recovery inspection (invasive species) also requires that I run the ballast pumps until dry.   Sometimes Ill even get a little more water during the inspection (I suspect just from whatever water remains in the PnP bags draining down into the hard tanks).

Yup second that for filling. For me blower and ballast turn on at the same time and once out of no wake good to go. No wasting time. If just going in for lunch I’ll often leave it full. 

I’ve burn through many pumps on our ‘05 from what I presume is running them while dry. What pumps are in the new boats?  Good to hear that there is an automatic shutoff now. 

4 hours ago, eubanks said:

I’ve burn through many pumps on our ‘05 from what I presume is running them while dry. What pumps are in the new boats?  Good to hear that there is an automatic shutoff now. 

Same aerator style pumps that you had in your 05

I agree with most of the above.  I drain and fill while underway at whatever speed is "underway" at the time...have not read anything in the various manuals prohibiting it.  I looked at one of my Johnson pumps while winterizing and the impeller was damp.  

lwENGuX.jpg