Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakesetterDD

1999 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Restoration

Eagleboy99
4 minutes ago, wakesetterDD said:

My boat seat riser broke over the weekend.  Two pieces of lumber I had screwed together just completely ripped apart from each other.

Fixed it by getting the right size of lumber (2x12) so it's supported as wide as the track.  It's very solid now.

IMG_7247.jpg

IMG_7249.jpg

IMG_7251.jpg

Ya know, aluminum tube will do the same thing.  ;)

Michigan boarder
7 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Ya know, aluminum tube will do the same thing.  ;)

I used 3" galvanized pipe nipples for mine.  Painted them black prior to installing.

Michigan boarder

I have to say I like all the stuff you've been doing but each time you add a wood block to something in your boat i cringe!  Your boat was made with no wood, so try to find materials to keep it wood free.  Since it will eventually mold, rot, etc.

wakesetterDD

Left my stereo on (no sound playing, just switch left on).  Batteries drained.  

Charged engine start battery.  Connected my engine start battery only to the engine leads.  Ignition circuit breaker popped time and time again once I turned the key to the on position after 5 seconds.  It would start in the first 5 seconds but after 5 seconds it would pop.  So I researched that to no avail.  After charging my second battery I connected the two batteries in parallel as per the usual setup along with all the other wires (stereo, other controls... yet everything- lights, blower, heater, ballast pumps, etc.works when only the engine battery is connected- except for the CD deck).  No breaker issue and engine starts and runs fine (on fake-a-lake on my driveway).  Weird!  It seems like there is some odd wiring causing a ground fault if the rest of the control and stereo cables aren't connected to my second battery (while batteries are paralleled).  So weird!

wakesetterDD

Boat winterized.  Pulled plugs, hoses, impellers.  Forced compressed air through openings/hoses including heater core.  Ran fuel stabilizer thru engine while on lake a week or so.

Now working on whether or not to replace hot water shower.  It wasn't working this past year; I did find a small piece of metal in the plug that screws into the engine that supplies hot water.  I blew out all the hot water shower lines and air is moving just fine.  The shower is always pretty hot and so given how the cold water side of the shower is T'd I would believe it doesn't get great flow.  So basically I think the shower is dead.  Maybe I will order a plug for the engine to install if the hot water shower doesn't work again next year.

Found a Plastics shop that cut me some puck board that I can cut to my ski locker cover shape with a jig saw.  Only cost me $25.  Hoping to get to that next week.  Will cover it in sea deck. 

Got some black outdoor fabric to mend the nose of my cover.

Bozboat
On 8/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, wakesetterDD said:

Left my stereo on (no sound playing, just switch left on).  Batteries drained.  

Charged engine start battery.  Connected my engine start battery only to the engine leads.  Ignition circuit breaker popped time and time again once I turned the key to the on position after 5 seconds.  It would start in the first 5 seconds but after 5 seconds it would pop.  So I researched that to no avail.  After charging my second battery I connected the two batteries in parallel as per the usual setup along with all the other wires (stereo, other controls... yet everything- lights, blower, heater, ballast pumps, etc.works when only the engine battery is connected- except for the CD deck).  No breaker issue and engine starts and runs fine (on fake-a-lake on my driveway).  Weird!  It seems like there is some odd wiring causing a ground fault if the rest of the control and stereo cables aren't connected to my second battery (while batteries are paralleled).  So weird!

Something is not hooked up correctly,   Sketch out where the positives and grounds run and post your findings