Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F-150 for 2019 23 LSV?

eubanks

14 hours ago, oldjeep said:

What kind of tongue weight are you running, what kind of truck, is it levelled and are you sure that your hitch height isnt too high?  My ram sits level with 1700-1800 lbs in the bed, factory suspension and rake. No way that any trailer I am rated to pull is going to drag the rear. 

Is your Ram a 3500? My brother's Ram 2500 squats more towing my boat than my wife's Silverado 1500 due to the coil springs.

2 hours ago, MLBurns said:

Is your Ram a 3500? My brother's Ram 2500 squats more towing my boat than my wife's Silverado 1500 due to the coil springs.

Its a 1500.  But unless you answer the questions that I asked - squat doesn't really mean anything.  The coil springs are progressive which is why the rams ride so nice.  But with a stock suspension they should "squat" down to level at somewhere around the payload capacity.

Edited by oldjeep

I try to have my trailer level when hooked to tow vehicle regardless of squat. Am I supposed to drag the tongue and put the majority of the weight on the front axle when towing? We have a brand new Ram 1500 at work, I will put 1800 lbs in the bed of it this week and see just how bad it squats. I had less in it last week and the back was lower than the front. 

Edited by MLBurns
add on
57 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

I try to have my trailer level when hooked to tow vehicle regardless of squat. Am I supposed to drag the tongue and put the majority of the weight on the front axle when towing? We have a brand new Ram 1500 at work, I will put 1800 lbs in the bed of it this week and see just how bad it squats. I had less in it last week and the back was lower than the front. 

Yup, tandem should be level when towing. The mistake that a lot of people make is using too tall a hitch.  But, again without knowing your tounge weight, hitch height and if you have futzed with the suspension then there isnt a discussion to be had.   Ive hauled 1600 - 1700lbs of pavers in my 2018 twice and it sat about level. 

That video does a pretty good job of showing that, although they don't ever seem to get the load far enough forward so it is centered on the axle.  Mine is the longer box, so it is easier to distribute the weight properly so that the rear axle isn't being used as a fulcrum to raise the front end. 

Edited by oldjeep
On 12/29/2018 at 8:01 AM, Txstoj said:

and think the 2019 23 is pushing 6k+ lbs with trailer and gear, right?

Someone else had their 2018 23 LSV weighed at a scale in the measured weights thread and day at the lake ready is was like 7,300lbs.

Yep weighed mine this past summer. Lake ready with full fuel and coolers etc. 7250 total with 800 lb tongue weight. I tow with a 2005 Nissan Titan with air bags.

Do yourself a favor and test drive a modern 3/4 ton diesel just for grins.  Maybe you won't like driving it as much as a 1/2 ton for a daily but I doubt it.  It is ridiculous how much more truck you are getting and how nice the ride is in a new-ish modern diesel.  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I have owned 2 Ecoboost F150s.  2011 and 2015.  Now i am in a 2017 Chev 3500 LTZ Duramax.  We tow 5-6 hours to powell 3 -5 times a year so for me the upgrade to the diesel was worth it.  The funny thing is the Chevy as a daily driver is actually really nice.  The fords rear end "bounces" a lot when empty.  drove me nuts.  The gas mileage empty is about the same and while towing the diesel is way better.  

Do yourself a favor:  keep the Accord and go buy a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel   :)

• Like 2

I just got rid of my 2016 F 150 that I towed my 2018 LSV with. I went back to a diesel after one year because I was disappointed with the towing compared to the 3/4 tons. It pulled the boat okay but got horrible fuel mileage on long hauls and the boat pulled the truck down my 9% grade ramp. It was the best riding and driving truck I’ve had and a great daily drive but in my opinion is not effective to pull a wake boat around everyday.

18 hours ago, gibbs114 said:

I just got rid of my 2016 F 150 that I towed my 2018 LSV with. I went back to a diesel after one year because I was disappointed with the towing compared to the 3/4 tons. It pulled the boat okay but got horrible fuel mileage on long hauls and the boat pulled the truck down my 9% grade ramp. It was the best riding and driving truck I’ve had and a great daily drive but in my opinion is not effective to pull a wake boat around everyday.

Which engine did your f150 have?

36 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Which engine did your f150 have?

3.5 in it. I also had a 5.0 for a while I liked it better towing but for me it wasn’t a motor issue it was more of the truck being too light. The boats would slide them down the ramp at launch. I know a lot of guys who say the F 150 does great for them but both of mine disappointed me.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:46 PM, gibbs114 said:

Man, I'm as confused as ever!  I've got guys at our dealership pulling 235's that say the F150 is a great tow rig, and then other stories like yourself where they didn't feel safe in the F150 either on the road or at the ramp.  Tough to make an informed decision.  As a daily commuter I am leaning towards the 150 but don't want to regret not having the proper vehicle either.  Looking at used 2016-2018's and it's surprising for equally equipped and mileage Lariat's, the 250 is consistently running $12K-$15K more expensive than the 150.  So there's that as a consideration.

35 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Man, I'm as confused as ever!  I've got guys at our dealership pulling 235's that say the F150 is a great tow rig, and then other stories like yourself where they didn't feel safe in the F150 either on the road or at the ramp.  Tough to make an informed decision.  As a daily commuter I am leaning towards the 150 but don't want to regret not having the proper vehicle either.  Looking at used 2016-2018's and it's surprising for equally equipped and mileage Lariat's, the 250 is consistently running $12K-$15K more expensive than the 150.  So there's that as a consideration.

You're always going to get mixed reviews on a public forum because you never get all the facts.  Guys that claim their truck's haul everything may tow short distances, all highway, back roads with lower speeds etc.  We tow an average of 200 miles each way to the lake and it's combined highway (70mph+), and hill and windy 65 mph 2 lane roads.  My F150 had no issues on the hills or turns and didn't feel unsafe but I do feel "safer" with the 3/4 ton, especially on the interstates at 75mph. 

My boat tows like a dream compared to my 31' camper.  I have a WDH with sway control and it rides nice but any type of cross wind and 75 isn't happening but the 3/4 ton handles it much better than my other truck did.  For me, I have a truck for work and my 3/4 ton is personal and only really used for hauling.  I traded my 13' F150 FX4 for a 14' F250 Lariat gasser with similar mileage and more options for $2K upcharge so it was a no brainer. I also needed a bed that was longer than 5.5' because we take so much stuff to the lake and up north for hunting.  Will a F150 haul an M235, sure but an F250 would do it better.  If my truck was also my daily driver, it would still be the F150 unless I ponied up for diesel and I've been down that road and don't think I can justify it again.  It's amazing how much trucks have gone up.  I am in the process of buying some new fleet vehicles and it's stupid what they want for bare bones, contractor upfitted trucks.

@eubanks - if it makes you feel any better, I just bought a 2016 navigator L (ecoboost) to pull the 2019 LSV.  I pulled my Axis T23 with a Lexus GX 460 and never felt unsafe in it.  However, I stayed below 70mph and always left plenty of distance to cars in front of me.

I'll chime in with my experience.  I currently own a 2014 3.5 eco max tow with air bags and 10ply tires, 6.5' bed.  I had 5 star tuning build a few towing tunes and generally run an 89 octane performance\tow.  2015 23 lsv weighed at 7200lbs on state highway scale.  Our cabin is 110 miles from our door and 2300' elevation gain.  The highway is curvy and mostly canyons with some long open 65mph sections, the grades are up to 7%.  

I love this truck.  I owned a 2010 titan with max tow and it was fun to drive but the f150 changed towing for me and most of that is due to air bags, tires and the tunes (although the stock motor was good, the extra boost is FUN.  The tuning also affects the shift points and it really helped with the downhills).   

Having said all that....... I am going to a F250 6.7 for my next truck.  I am next in line for a new company truck and no way I am turning that down.  

Edited by ID AX
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, eubanks said:

I've got guys at our dealership pulling 235's that say the F150 is a great tow rig, and then other stories like yourself where they didn't feel safe in the F150 either on the road or at the ramp. 

People have different tolerances for risk and white knuckles; some people also just have not been exposed to how much better the experience is towing with a modern diesel.  That said, I'd tow fairly heavy with a 1/2 ton if I didn't have any other options, but when I have other options there is no reason to tow heavy with an inferior truck. 

I have a 2019 Silverado 1500 with 6.2 and 10 speed, I have towed with the 3.5 eco quite a bit. My daily driver is a Denali HD diesel. I don't care what any of the 1/2 ton trucks offer for powertrains, I will never get out of a HD diesel to tow with, why make it harder than it has to be when towing heavy loads? It is nice not being the guy in the right lane that can't even keep up with the speed limit.

6 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

I have a 2019 Silverado 1500 with 6.2 and 10 speed, I have towed with the 3.5 eco quite a bit. My daily driver is a Denali HD diesel. I don't care what any of the 1/2 ton trucks offer for powertrains, I will never get out of a HD diesel to tow with, why make it harder than it has to be when towing heavy loads? It is nice not being the guy in the right lane that can't even keep up with the speed limit.

I could care less about not keeping up (which for most of these boats the Ecoboost or other 1/2 tons will easily keep up), but what I am looking towards a 3/4 ton for is just the stability and braking. No doubt a diesel would be BA, but at least in my situation it is going to be pretty difficult to justify the extra expense of the diesel vs a gas.  

Even when we were racing and traveling most every weekend early spring to late fall no mater how I did the math I could not make the price work for the diesels. I have not looked in many years but back then I would need to be in the 300,000 mile range on a vehicle to make the price work. I will say the times I drove diesel rigs it was a fine ride. We pull some heavy trailers now but not for the miles to make a HD truck work for us. Our little Ecos do a fine job for all we do. But we don't even need the 350's anymore.  Living on the lake has also changed a lot of my trailer pulling habits. I also house the vehicle in an attached garage and would be concerned with smell. 

I didn't look too closely at whether a diesel will "pencil" on costs too much when I bought my last few trucks, but I'd note that I paid $52k-ish for my Chevy 2500 in 2013, and traded it in (not private sale) 3 years and 48k miles later for $46k-ish.  I am not sure there is a vehicle on the road that depreciates less.   The upfront costs are a b$tch, but you can make it up on the back end.  

Your trailer has braking, and the F150s brakes can stop the load under most conditions even with a brake failure.   Obviously you don't want them for emergency braking the load.  

A new 3/4 ton will be better for towing a bigger load, but I would take a new F150 with towing package over almost any older 3/4 ton of my max typical load was 8-9k.  

My 4500 ski boat and trailer loaded down is a joke to tow. 

My current diesel is at 160k miles with only problem a DEF tank heater and just changed tensioner pully and fan belt. Previous truck was traded in at over 300k virtually problem free miles and still the dealership gave close to $30,000 on trade in. I understand not every vehicle is problem free, but my experience with last 2 diesels have been far better on all around performance and value than I have had out of gas powered trucks. The last 3/4 gas truck I had I only got 1/4 original purchase price when I got rid of it with 140k miles.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I didn't look too closely at whether a diesel will "pencil" on costs too much when I bought my last few trucks, but I'd note that I paid $52k-ish for my Chevy 2500 in 2013, and traded it in (not private sale) 3 years and 48k miles later for $46k-ish.  I am not sure there is a vehicle on the road that depreciates less.   The upfront costs are a b$tch, but you can make it up on the back end.  

Yeper I think resale for diesels have improved. Even a gas pickup is bringing better resale today. Like i said I have not looked at it for many years. One thing that has changed over the years is the ability for the newer vehicles to live in our northern salted roads. Back in the days of our racing the metal in our vehicles just could not take our salted roads well at all. Do you diesel owners have attached garages ?  Do you have a issue with smell?      

I have an attached garage. The exhaust smell is extremely minimal, wife has not said a word. No notable smoke on start up from my 2018 ram 2500. After 8 years in the car business I swore I would never buy a new vehicle, always used because of the instant depreciation. When looking at this truck the used ones where only like $10k less than what you could buy a new one for and had 100k miles! Yeah a chunk of change up front, but you get it back when you want to sell it. I still can’t figue out why the diesel fuel pump handles are always covered in fuel, but I just put on an exam glove so I don’t smell like it. I couldn’t be more happy with mine. ~7,500 miles so far.