Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fastest Malibu?

trace

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SmoothWaterMan

• WakeGirl

• ilovetrains

• SacRiverRat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good looking Flighty. I never saw one with that color scheme or graphics. Was it a better barefoot boat than any that can be bought now? I skied one and thought it was a great slalom boat. A guy did an HO demo clinic, probably 10 years ago, and had one. It was a rocket.

must be tough on the driver always having to turn his/her head backwards to see how fast you're driving Crazy.gif

seriously though, is the speedo on the transom for a judge?

must be tough on the driver always having to turn his/her head backwards to see how fast you're driving Crazy.gif

seriously though, is the speedo on the transom for a judge?

Yup - that's Speedo #3 - there's 2 more on the dash. My BIL had a Flighty for a few years - one fun boat.

Once upon a time I built blown 1000-1500hp off shore motors (about a dozen or so) for people who do this...

http://www.fountainpower.com/news/videos/n...704_vid_512.wmv

Reggie Fountain Notworthy.gifNotworthy.gifNotworthy.gifNotworthy.gif

yes. that is fast, but what do you think this baby'll do?

it has almost another 1000hp/side, its' 2 feet shorter, is a cat, and has areneson surface drives...

http://www.arneson-industries.com/sorcerer.htm

Not very handy for skiing though, is it?

Psh, you take the course at 36.... try taking it at 120mph. Surprised.gif Now where's skill! :lol:

Can you even keep the ski on at that speed?

I wonder, what is the water speed record for skiing?

Psh, you take the course at 36.... try taking it at 120mph. Surprised.gif Now where's skill! :lol:

Can you even keep the ski on at that speed?

I wonder, what is the water speed record for skiing?

They have that Race in Cali where they ski in the ocean behind these boats. How fast do those guys go? I think I remember them being in the 80's...

Once upon a time I built blown 1000-1500hp off shore motors (about a dozen or so) for people who do this...

http://www.fountainpower.com/news/videos/n...704_vid_512.wmv

Reggie Fountain Notworthy.gifNotworthy.gifNotworthy.gifNotworthy.gif

yes. that is fast, but what do you think this baby'll do?

it has almost another 1000hp/side, its' 2 feet shorter, is a cat, and has areneson surface drives...

http://www.arneson-industries.com/sorcerer.htm

Check this out and watch the video on the right, it shows what that lightning will do to those cats

Cat Killer

I got to meet Reggie and David Knight this summer, cool stuff

Been a while since we have seen that boat Peter. That would be a fun boat (a sleeper too). Didn't you do another in a different color scheme or reversed colors?

Malibu made two, one in CA and one in TN. The TN built SS (SkiFly Response) was reversed colors, Red in back and Blue in front. That was originally sold to a Ski Fly jumper in TN/KY area if I remember right. I was lucky enough to purchase the CA built one, as well as a Corvette trailer that I repainted to match the Red/White/Blue on the boat. Much to my dismay a customer came in and decided that he wanted the whole package more than my wife felt I did, and we sold it, albeit with first dibs if he ever decided to sell.

Peter. :)

Yea, I bet that one was hard to let go.

Was the engine cover raised up to clear the motor? It looks tall in the pics.

You know...I still like the looks of the closed bow on that boat. Shame it is out now.

BTW...are those '07 emblems on the side? Biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

57 is my top on the water. A tad faster out of water.

Uh, is that measured by gps?

Sorry - for some reason not getting emails about posts.

Anyhow.

Sort of. I measured it at 22, 25 and 30 and it was dead on. Do not carry the GPS with me all the time, but can't think it was far off. The LSV was basically chine walking at that speed. I blew by my father-in-law in his Sea-Ray. He swore he was pegged at 50.

Well, I finally pulled the boat out of the water yesterday. I took the GPS to do a few checks before I pulled it for the season. Battery 1 was drained so witched to battery2 to start. I think this must have reset the computer, because the speedo was off again (showing 24 mph at 1800 rpm.) I dialed the speedo in at 18, and 20. Was dead on to high 30's. Above 40 it was somewhat erratic. BTW - this a lake with little current. Wind speed was reported at 5-10 mph. Air temp 71, water temp 59. Here were the results.

pass 1: speedo 47, GPS 44 with the wind. into the wind, speedo 44, GPS 49.

pass 2: speedo 44, GPS 47 with the wind, into the wind speedo 41, GPS 44.

pass 3: speedo 53, GPS 49 wih the wind, into the wind speedo 49, GPS 51.

A couple interesting notes, the RPM was very inconsistent at WOT. At times it would fluctuate between 5000 and 5200 RPM. At one point it reached at held 5300 RPM.

Highest recorded speed on the GPS was 53, however I never actually saw it, was in the record keeping part.

Water conditions were mixed. Several small wakes and some larger. When skipping accross larger wakes the boat actually picked up speed. I believe this is when the GPS recorded the 53.

The speedo, despite being wildly off over 40mph did not jump around much. The software must condition the output. It would go up or down 3-4 mph, but do it gradually.