Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fastest Malibu?

trace

57 is my top on the water. A tad faster out of water.

Uh, is that measured by gps?

My boat used to go 60 until I calibrated the speedo with a GPS. Now it goes about 47. :)

Yeah, my boat would do close to 57 according the speedos, but GPS says differently.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SmoothWaterMan

• WakeGirl

• ilovetrains

• SacRiverRat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, my Response SS was bad-a**. While it was/is very fast (mid-60's) it was the acceleration and the freight train holding power that blew you away. There is absolutely no give on that bad boy. No forgiveness if you screw up barefooting off it.

My numerous Flighty's were still overall the fastest. The pre-Optimax days running the 200 EFI 2 stroke would allow you to run close to 70, and even get a little chine-walking in. There is NOTHING like taking a good run in a Flighty before or after skiing.

Peter. :)

Maybe I'm just a big wuss, but 45mph is fast enough for me on an unpredictable surface like water, especially with the kids on the boat.

Yup! what he said...

wuss! Tongue.gif

Thumbup.gif

... guess I can't talk about going fast in the boat, mine only does 43 or soo, but I'll tell you I regularly try to get it to go faster, having to modulate off the rev-limiter.

If I wanna go fast, I gotta ride with Stewart or Michael... which is funny because they're at opposite ends of the boat spectrum (Big & Small)

... come to think of it... oh .. *filter* Whistling.gif

I betcha its the fastest Malibu in rough water carrying 16 passengers :lol:
I can't even get 16 people in my boat. :lol: Much less do close to 50 with them. Crazy.gif And I don't go near rough water. No.gif
If I wanna go fast, I gotta ride with Stewart or Michael... which is funny because they're at opposite ends of the boat spectrum (Big & Small)

... come to think of it... oh .. *filter* Whistling.gif

:lol: That is kinda funny. :) Edited by NorCaliBu
I believe the fastest boat sold by Malibu was the OB powered flightcraft.

Aside from that, the closed bow Sportster hull has the highest speed potential.

I agree. Our Flightcraft went 65MPH easily. With the right prop, it probably had another 5 - 10 MPH.

Our LSV went 53 MPH with the original prop. 51 now.

Edited by RogerQ

I believe the fastest boat sold by Malibu was the OB powered flightcraft.

Aside from that, the closed bow Sportster hull has the highest speed potential.

I agree. Our Flightcraft went 65MPH easily. With the right prop, it probably had another 5 - 10 MPH.

Our LSV went 53 MPH with the original prop. 51 now.

That's pretty fast, usually the 8.1L in the LSV is around 50-51.

Once upon a time I built blown 1000-1500hp off shore motors (about a dozen or so) for people who do this...

http://www.fountainpower.com/news/videos/n...704_vid_512.wmv

Reggie Fountain Notworthy.gifNotworthy.gifNotworthy.gifNotworthy.gif

yes. that is fast, but what do you think this baby'll do?

it has almost another 1000hp/side, its' 2 feet shorter, is a cat, and has areneson surface drives...

http://www.arneson-industries.com/sorcerer.htm

Sorry - for some reason not getting emails about posts.

Anyhow.

Sort of. I measured it at 22, 25 and 30 and it was dead on. Do not carry the GPS with me all the time, but can't think it was far off. The LSV was basically chine walking at that speed. I blew by my father-in-law in his Sea-Ray. He swore he was pegged at 50.

Speedo is not linearly accurate. Be interesting for you to put a GPS on your WOT MPH. I highly doubt it is 57. I wouldn't take bets on the Sea Ray speedo either. YMMV

Sorry - for some reason not getting emails about posts.

Anyhow.

Sort of. I measured it at 22, 25 and 30 and it was dead on. Do not carry the GPS with me all the time, but can't think it was far off. The LSV was basically chine walking at that speed. I blew by my father-in-law in his Sea-Ray. He swore he was pegged at 50.

Yup, our speedo is accurate at those speeds as well, but it is definitely not at WOT. Jack is right on the money, they're not accurate in a linear fashion & chances are very good that it is that far off (every boat that I've ever had has had speedos that act this way, it's the nature of the beast). Ours is according to the gps that I have mounted next to the speedo. :)

Our Flightcraft went 65MPH easily. With the right prop, it probably had another 5 - 10 MPH.

75mph in a ski boat with a 200 OB?

Nuh.

The Flightcraft wasn't a "ski boat" the way you are thinking about it. It was designed (I think) as a purpose built barefooter. It planes and behaves more like a bass boat or an Allison than an inboard, and yes, Flightcrafts have a reputation for topping out at a chine walking ~70mph or so.

check out these pictures and you'll see what I mean

http://www.bestfoot.com/1994_malibu_flightcraft/

I agree. It was a great boat, but only good for footin'.

I disagree. :)

It was a great riding boat, nice flat wake for slalom, and if you angled your ski right you could even put it on using the molded in swimstep/platform area. Seats for everyone, room for gear, and it looked great!

Peter

My last Flighty, #5 or #6 if I recall.

Flightcraft1.jpg

Flightcraft2.jpg

Edited by SmoothWaterMan