Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater Y fitting Mod

LateNightSalami

46 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@granddaddy55:  The heater craft parts are stainless, they insert a plug in the 5/8" line that has a 1/8" diameter hole as shown above to restrict the exit flow to keep pressure in the heater core and make sure it is full of liquid.

@ahopkinsVTX:  Yes sir! home made.

@onamission Thanks for the photo & size.  

That's the one that came on our 05.  Just a 1/8" hole drilled in copper pipe with the 5/8" soldered over it.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Woodski said:

@granddaddy55:  The heater craft parts are stainless, they insert a plug in the 5/8" line that has a 1/8" diameter hole as shown above to restrict the exit flow to keep pressure in the heater core and make sure it is full of liquid.

@ahopkinsVTX:  Yes sir! home made.

@onamission Thanks for the photo & size.  

Want to make two? ;) 

19 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

I thought it was a plastic part !

The one I have *somewhere* isn't stainless, either.  It's copper tube.  They do bead the ends of the pipe to help keep the hoses on. 

• 1 month later...

So had to jury rig the heater return fitting 

could not get a socket or open end wrench in hex head 7/8” for brass fitting , could barely get the open end on it but only about 1/4”-5/16” which want enough to loosen turn it with out it coming off, 

this was a factory install and the brass hex head already looked damaged from a pair of channel locks when the installed it and tightened the last couple turns . 

https://www.facebook.com/100005474021989/posts/932918993567226/

So I plugged the short hose with a fuel brass fitting and NPT cap and Teflon tape 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 5:28 PM, justgary said:

The one I have *somewhere* isn't stainless, either.  It's copper tube.  They do bead the ends of the pipe to help keep the hoses on. 

@granddaddy55 I just found out in the bin I looked several times in a month ago.  Do you still need one? 

9 hours ago, justgary said:

@granddaddy55 I just found out in the bin I looked several times in a month ago.  Do you still need one? 

Thx,Look previous post, installed but had to rig the return slot to motor 

funny story, tried heater on transom flush , thought I had broken the heater as it wouldn’t get hot, not going to cause raw water entry not occurring so no Venturi effect and no return water, heater was ice cold snd my first thought was wife is going to Kill me for modifying/ruining her heater!!!

cant wait for tomorrow though she may not use it much cause we will be 77-78 tomorrow 

ahopkins22LSV
21 hours ago, justgary said:

If he doesn’t take it, and you still have it in a few months I will take it! I’ve heard from some that there may be a circulation pump already installed on the pcm 409 but I had a bad thermostat so I couldn’t tell last fall. The wife will want heat at idle though!

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

Used the heater yesterday and was very nice at idle, wife still breaking my ****’s that it was not quite the same as when under way, tough audience !

guessing putting fan on low at idle would maximize the air heat exchange with the core?

warm air yesterday at 77 but I chickened out snd wore my shorty as water was 59 or less

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 months later...

Finally got the boat back in the water and took a relaxing ride yesterday. Wanted to chime back in with the results of the modification. It is definitely working much better than before. Before it would have to be basically WoT in order to feel much. Now it is luke warm at idle and solidly warm at slow no wake speeds. Lake is too high due to rain to run the boat any faster but I imagine the results would follow the trend. Definitely glad I did this mod and I am sure the wife will be happy when we get back to skiing.

Now I just have to finish replacing the shower pump, replace the bilge pump (works but the float is broken), and figure out why two of my tower speakers sound so crackley (I had to unplug them to enjoy the sound system...fortunately there were 4 more working tower speakers to pick up the slack).

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LateNightSalami said:

Finally got the boat back in the water and took a relaxing ride yesterday. Wanted to chime back in with the results of the modification. It is definitely working much better than before. Before it would have to be basically WoT in order to feel much. Now it is luke warm at idle and solidly warm at slow no wake speeds. Lake is too high due to rain to run the boat any faster but I imagine the results would follow the trend. Definitely glad I did this mod and I am sure the wife will be happy when we get back to skiing.

Now I just have to finish replacing the shower pump, replace the bilge pump (works but the float is broken), and figure out why two of my tower speakers sound so crackley (I had to unplug them to enjoy the sound system...fortunately there were 4 more working tower speakers to pick up the slack).

Ours is definitely hotter( used to be warm air now it seems hot) at all speeds now that we have used it fir over 2 months

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So this past week I have been getting alerts to "check transmission". Engine fault code is:

Warn_GeneralWarning

SPN 65701 CM 0

Undefined FMI

DIAG CODE FMI 31 OC 122

I got the impression that the code thought the transmission was running hot. I checked the trans cooler screen, it wasn't blocked and water seemed to be flowing through it. I checked my ATF levels in the trans and Vdrive. They seemed a little low so I added some fluid. Went back out and I don't hear any grinding. Other than the alarm blaring at me the boat seems to be operating normally.

I have the boat in at Tommy's of Detroit right now but it occurred to me that the Y mod might be circulating too warm of water in the warmer temps. Is this possible? It seems a lot of other people have done this without getting any temperature issues and I am not sure my issue is a temp issue. I am paranoid an anxious about having transmission issues though.

Any ideas?

Edited by LateNightSalami
1 hour ago, LateNightSalami said:

I have the boat in at Tommy's of Detroit right now but it occurred to me that the Y mod might be circulating too warm of water in the warmer temps. Is this possible? It seems a lot of other people have done this without getting any temperature issues and I am not sure my issue is a temp issue. I am paranoid an anxious about having transmission issues though.

I don't think that's possible if your cooling system is working properly.  I don't surf or do anything that loads my boat too much, but I have run it in 102*F water (and 100*F air) without any problems at all.  Disclaimer: I don't have the Y mod, and I do have partial closed cooling, but the total heat equation is what matters.  My transmission cooler is pretty much the same as yours.

I have never checked the transmission temperature when I am running.  I'll try to remember to shoot the transmission cooler with the temp gun next time I'm out.

• Like 1