Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion x tower pins stuck

svnfightsvn

I would start with a really small brand new drill bit.  That way it is easier to stay centered. If you havent done it before practice on some random bolts. And buy some good drills, not cheap off the shelf:)

And use a center punch to place a good divot to start, then apply enough force on the drill to keep it cutting. Stainless can work harden if you don't keep the drill cutting.  Don't use so much force that you break the bit, though. 

I think I would hand tap instead of using your drill motor.  You don't want to break the tap off.  Probably best to find a slide hammer first and tap to a size stud that will fit the hammer. 

Personally, though, I would only drill as a last resort.  I would figure out some other way to beat the pins out.  Can you post a photo or two? 

10 hours ago, svnfightsvn said:

You probably don’t have the illusion IX tower then because it’s impossible to access those set screws with the tower up. I looked at your profile and if it’s up to date and you still have your 2008 lsv, you have an illusion XS tower which is different

Yep your right is have the illusion xs (09 tower) forgot about the ix. 

Edited by BaBaLoO

Ok update. I got the damn pins out with a heavy duty hook and some brute force. Tower base took a little damage, mainly to the powder coat but I figure that’s fairly easy to touch up with a decent paint fix. Thanks for all the help and support crew

https://image.ibb.co/eo3niA/34-D355-F9-729-D-4855-8-B97-3-BD93-F5-ABEEB.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/dhq3qq/D00-A3-E66-7-ABE-4-C3-F-8-DA7-D2657-DC5-B0-B1.jpg

Edited by svnfightsvn
  • Like 3

Just looking at that picture the holes seem to be smaller than mine. I have a little more play with mine.  Might want to use so anti seize when you reinstall.