Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering a 2019 Response TXI

BoatFlyRide

Wondering if you looked at the prostar as an option.  I am in the same position right now, looking at a new 2019 prostar or txi.  Slalomed the 18 txi, good wake, slow out of the hole and to speed was bad. 

28 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

What motor?

17+ TXi only available with Crusader 6.0L.  They're dogs in the TXi.  Especially when it's hot.  Anxious to see how the Malibu M5DI works.  Think they're running those in Oz.

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

17+ TXi only available with Crusader 6.0L.  They're dogs in the TXi.  Especially when it's hot.  Anxious to see how the Malibu M5DI works.  Think they're running those in Oz.

M5di in Aus, :thumbup: haven't skied it yet. 

• 1 month later...

Posted October 18, 2018

@bbelt:  Do you have specific concerns going over the 500 hour mark?  Operationally, 500 is early in the life cycle of a ski tug.

Its next year and I see a response and question was made to some of my previous comments.  What are my specific concerns to the 500 hr mark?  Totally arbitray selection of hours on my part.  So it begs the question, how many is too many hours?  When does the  age of a boat begin to undermine your experience as a boater?  And by that I mean, at what point does the boat spend more time getting fixed than playing in the water.  I live and play in the mountains, we don't put our boat in the water until mid June and are mostly done by october.  So the actual season is short and I dont want to mess with broken parts.  My dealer is 6 hrs away and when something fails to function it is a major drag and hard to find adequate help to fix. Also, I am financially in a position to go get a new boat if I feel like it.  My assumption was that by tripling the money invested in my current boat would be getting me something that works as good or better than old boat and buy insurance against mechanical failures. 

Maybe I am wrong on this note.  Seems like the new Txi is not much of a family boat and wouldn't be able to run footing speeds at 5-6k ft elevation.  Maybe time to consider a different model, though I assuring my ego that I am the best skier on my lake.  Unfortunately that boils down to a competition between my and my kids which is why I win.  Point being, I love the slalom wake on my 03 response.

I have a similar stance with cars.  Once I became financially able I decided I don't like to drive anything with over 50k miles so I go buy a new one and turn the older one over to a kid.  I have lots of kids.  Was essentially trying to do the same with hr meter on the boat.  

The '14+ Prostars have a hard time getting to or over 40 with the base engine; the 6.2s are rockets but the big engine is a big upcharge.  The 200s with H5 or H6 or 6.0L get to 45 pretty easily (the H6 is 53-55 MPH boat and gets there is a hurry).  I'd also avoid the 200s with a 5.7L for footing.  They are like the Prostars with the 5.7.  I'll defer to others on the TXIs.  

Edited by jjackkrash
1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

The '14+ Prostars have a hard time getting to or over 40 with the base engine; the 6.2s are rockets but the big engine is a big upcharge.  The 200s with H5 or H6 or 6.0L get to 45 pretty easily (the H6 is 53-55 MPH boat and gets there is a hurry).  I'd also avoid the 200s with a 5.7L for footing.  They are like the Prostars with the 5.7.  I'll defer to others on the TXIs.  

Can confirm on the Prostar base engine. Ours topped at 42-43.

We used to have an 06 LXi that was awesome, good holeshot, good wake, could still fit a good few people. @Woodski is right that it is a nose dipper, so be aware of that.
New TXi I went out on last year (MY18) hit 45-46 pretty easily, not sure on exact numbers though. Definitely more holeshot out of the ProStar than the Response. 

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I work at MC now :whistle:

4 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Our 15 PS with the 5.7 runs up to 48mph easily, and does very well with up to 3 people footing behind it at up to 42-44.

Been running it for slalom a footing for 3 years now, with no complaints. We did get it used, but pretty sure it’s completely stock. It only had 12 hours on it when we got it.

Edited by TenTwentyOne
1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Our 15 PS with the 5.7 runs up to 48mph easily, and does very well with up to 3 people footing behind it at up to 42-44.

I have seen reports of 39 to 43-ish top speed (I suspect depending a bit on altitude) and the couple I have been in were in the 41 to 42 ish range top end.  I have seen reports of the 6.2 topping out at 48.  E.g.:

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=73348

I wonder if yours has a non-standard prop or had some cup added to the prop.  Some cup in the prop can get some hull out of the water and increase cruising speed.  

9 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I have seen reports of 39 to 43-ish top speed (I suspect depending a bit on altitude) and the couple I have been in were in the 41 to 42 ish range top end.  I have seen reports of the 6.2 topping out at 48.  E.g.:

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=73348

I wonder if yours has a non-standard prop or had some cup added to the prop.  Some cup in the prop can get some hull out of the water and increase cruising speed.  

Ya, must be it has a different prop. I have never really looked at the prop size on it. It’s not my boat, I just drive it.