Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Domed Numbers

MalibuBuzz

Well, they sent me my second set of numbers. I got them yesterday. The shadow is the correct silver color, the font is correct and italic. However the shadow is NOT the same shadow as is on my Malibu logo. Cry.gif

To be honest. For 90 bucks, I am NOT impressed. :(

What would impress me is if they could make them EXACTLY like my malibu logo. THAT is what I thought this was ALL about? I guess I was wrong and I guess domed numbers just aren't for me.

I'll tell them one more time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• areamike

• MalibuBuzz

• doughickey

• WakeGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have nothing but praise for Domed Numbers, they looked great on the SAN even though I never saw them on the water. Need to order my numbers next Monday.

Areamike, I'm sorry for the troubles you're having with them, it sounds like you want something extremely custom and that is unbelievably hard to reproduce from pictures. To get a discount from for being a TMC member you need to be a paying member, then you get the discount code.

Well, they sent me my second set of numbers. I got them yesterday. The shadow is the correct silver color, the font is correct and italic. However the shadow is NOT the same shadow as is on my Malibu logo. Cry.gif

To be honest. For 90 bucks, I am NOT impressed. :(

What would impress me is if they could make them EXACTLY like my malibu logo. THAT is what I thought this was ALL about? I guess I was wrong and I guess domed numbers just aren't for me.

I'll tell them one more time.

Sorry you're having trouble achieving the match you want. One thing to keep in mind is that they are doing custom stuff for you without the benefit of seeing your boat in person. Their offer to produce extra sets until you're satisfied seems pretty reasonable to me. I've worked with other custom-order places that are not that generous.

It sounds like you want a set of domed numbers and it sounds like they are trying in good faith to get you what you want. If it feels like too much trouble to you it may be time to move on to another registration number decal company...boating is supposed to be fun (IMHO)! :)

Best of luck,

Mike

PS - By the way, it took domednumbers a couple of tries to get mine "just right". I'm very pleased with the results though. As a point of reference, it took a dealer 5 tries to get the right replacement decals for my boat when I provided them with the Malibu part number...

In my experience, the best bet is to call them. I haven't had great luck with email responses either. Of course it's "only" been one business day... :)

Best of luck,

Mike

and my fingers feel the slight raise in the lettering through the buffing cloth..... it's like my hands are softly caressing the boat ever so gently.... it just feels so right to have Domed Numbers.

Get's awfully cold and lonely up there in the winter time, eh Doug? Wow, you need to go skiing or something. :lol:

and my fingers feel the slight raise in the lettering through the buffing cloth..... it's like my hands are softly caressing the boat ever so gently.... it just feels so right to have Domed Numbers.

Get's awfully cold and lonely up there in the winter time, eh Doug? Wow, you need to go skiing or something. :lol:

Cabin fever! Been a long hard winter!

In my experience, the best bet is to call them. I haven't had great luck with email responses either. Of course it's "only" been one business day... :)

Best of luck,

Mike

It appears I will have to call and take time out of my day to straighten this out. I am not 100% satisfied as they claim they guarantee.

It's been 3 working days now. No response. None.

It's funny that Shelly WAS responding to my emails and now she is not. Maybe she is on Vacation.

We shall see. It's been exactly one month since I first placed my order and I still have no numbers on my boat....patience is a virtue I guess :)

I wonder why most everyone here seems to have had such a great experience with this company? I guess I am the text-book guy that gets the dose of a bad experience this time. It sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Edited by areamike

Best of luck,

Mike

It appears I will have to call and take time out of my day to straighten this out. I am not 100% satisfied as they claim they guarantee.

It's funny that Shelly WAS responding to my emails and now she is not. Maybe she is on Vacation.

We shall see. It's been exactly one month since I first placed my order and I still have no numbers on my boat....patience is a virtue I guess :)

I wonder why most everyone here seems to have had such a great experience with this company? I guess I am the text-book guy that gets the dose of a bad experience this time. It sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

You're not listening to what most everyone here has told you, including me. This is a company that seems to have trouble with the custom side of things regardless of what they advertise, if you order that way then be prepared to have some difficulties. If you order from stock fonts & colors (as almost everyone here has), then it's a different story, they don't seem to have a problem with filling orders & fulfilling their claims. My custom order experience was very similar to yours (in fact it took much, much longer to get any kind of proof from them initially - my boat didn't have numbers on it for about 9 months), that's why I bailed on it & went with a stock font/color combination.

areamike,

I have to agree with WakeGirl. What you want is really a custom match. What Domed Numbers is offering is a semi-custom solution. If you've ever ordered cabinets for a kitchen you'll understand the difference. You can either get each cabinet custom made ($$$$) or you can order a stock cabinet and pay an "up charge" to have it adjusted ($$).

I'm assuming you're trying to match these letters

post-1563-1177519065_thumb.jpg

I believe that a text color of Black with an outline color of Metallic Silver would match pretty closely. The question then becomes what is the font?

Domed Numbers probably matched it pretty closely. The identifying portions of the font are

• Where the lower part of the "R" meets the letter
  • Rounded "E" and "F"
  • Elongated letters (proportionately longer than they are tall)

You might want to see if you can get a list of available fonts from them (probably in italic, since that's the way they are on the boat) and see if you can find a close match. Maybe they can even send you a sample with the word "RESPONSE" or "BAREFOOT"

If you look here

http://www.domednumbers.com/gallery2.htm

It is possible that Kubra Bold, if italicized, may be close.

Perhaps you can even call Malibu and find out what font they used for the "RESPONSE BAREFOOT EDITION" letters. If they could tell you then Domed Numbers should be able to duplicate it.

Since the numbers will be at the front of the boat and the other items won't be near by, a close match is really all that you need. The alternative is either very pricey (custom) or an even worse look than the close match (stock letters from somewhere).

Most importantly, when you're in the boat you won't even see them. Do you think the DNR won't give you a ticket if the letters match perfectly? Tongue.gif (only kidding, of course, I know you want it to look as good as possible. We all do)

I hope this works out for you. I'm very happy with the look of my domed numbers. They match the boat and Malibu font and really have that "classy" look.

Edited by CedarLakeSkier

CedarLakeSkier,

I received a response back from Shelly just moments after my last post. During our initial conversations and email correspondences, she sent me a few mock-ups. After seeing the mock-ups, the last one they made was exactly what I wanted, less the color of the shadow. The font in the mock-up was perfect, the color of the font was great, the shadow effect was right on, just the color of the shadow was wrong. I relayed this to her and she responded that they would make them exactly like the last mock-up and make them with the correct shadow color. The actual lettering I am trying to match is my Malibu logo. It is the same as those letters on the back of the boat, except the shadow effect is a little different.

So, I get the first set. Are they like the last mock-up? No. They are not italic like the mock-up, the shadow color is wrong and the shadow style is not like the mock-up. So they missed on everything. Amazing...

I let her know. She apologizes and says they will send out a new set. I again was very clear and said. The only thing that needs to be different on that last mock-up is the shadow color, Other than that they are perfect, so make the next set exactly like that. She says OK.

Next set. Wrong. Letters are correct color, italics are good. Shadow color is great, shadow effect is still wrong. It is NOT like the last mock-up. I relayed this information to her a third time and even sent the mock-up back to her as a reference and explained again in detail what I was wanting. She apologizes for the inconvenience again...and says they are sending another set.

Now I am awaiting the third set...It should be here in a few days. Whistling.gif

I have no problem playing the "let's make me another set game" all day long. But it is not like I am not giving them specific instructions. It's not like they are messing up something that is not even planned out. The instructions were very clear each time, yet they have continued to make mistakes. It's no wonder these numbers cost so much. They have to take into account that they will make at least 3 sets for each order before they finally get them right. Makes sense now. Oh, and I am sure at this point that it will work out. I've decided I'll have them make me sets until they get them right. Hence their 100% satisfaction guarantee. I'm just hoping that my little expose' doesn't deter anyone else but it will at least give anyone else a heads-up on what to possibly expect when ordering domed numbers.

:)

Edited by areamike

I feel your pain re repeated conversations and multiple sets, but I think your suggestion that..... no wonder these cost so much if they have to make/ship 3 sets for each customer..... is possibly an unfair statement. I would suspect they have already lost $$$ in your situation. Doesn't mean they shouldn't make it right..... just that you may have not been so accurate in the math.

If you consider their "person-hours" involved in your set of numbers (all the phone conversations, mock-ups, production, packaging) and multiply by a typical hourly wage, then add raw material, and postage costs...... I suggest that they ate up the $90 a long time ago.

Frustrating for you.... sure. But please hang in there, once you get them installed, you'll love them.

To others who may be considering Domed Numbers...... their success-to-failure rate is very very high. Please work with them.... you'll be happy in the long run.

No, I'm not on commission with them.... not even in the same country..... just feel we need to be fair with them re how thrilled they have made so many people here on The Crew.

Edited by doughickey

I just received my set of Domed numbers. It only took 10 days from when I ordered to delivery. They look great and I can't imagine using anything but Domed Numbers. Thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I FINALLY got the domed numbers made the way I specified. The color is perfect, the shadow and italic and font are perfect as well.

HOWEVER, after all I went through with them, I am STILL NOT impressed. The look like glorified Vinyl numbers to me, nothing more, nothing less. Unless you are 2 feet from them you can't even tell they are domed. Not to mention that 2 out of each set of numbers have little bubbles in them, which OF COURSE I couldn't see until I applied them and removed the wax paper stuff. Mad.gif

I am totally disappointed for the price I paid for these things. Not worth it in my opinion at all! Maybe everyone else thinks they are great, but not me.

que sera, sera, "whatever will be, will be" Mad.gif:( :(

I got mine in the mail last week but haven't put them on yet. They look great from what I've peeled back to see.

Areamike, sounds like your expectations were set a little too high. If you're dissatisfied fine, but I really don't think it is/was fair to slander them like you are. I'm sure if you contacted them they'd make you another set, you had a custom request and they tried to accommodate you, then you seemingly got very frustrated because they didn't get it perfect. Seems to me like they have been more than fair with you... The doming on my letters are the same as my back logos so I guess everything on our boat is a "glorified" sticker... Dontknow.gif

I got mine in the mail last week but haven't put them on yet. They look great from what I've peeled back to see.

Areamike, sounds like your expectations were set a little too high. If you're dissatisfied fine, but I really don't think it is/was fair to slander them like you are. I'm sure if you contacted them they'd make you another set, you had a custom request and they tried to accommodate you, then you seemingly got very frustrated because they didn't get it perfect. Seems to me like they have been more than fair with you... The doming on my letters are the same as my back logos so I guess everything on our boat is a "glorified" sticker... Dontknow.gif

WHOA WHOA WHOA~! Where did I slander ANYONE? Make sure you know the definition of "slander" before you accuse somebody of it.

Expectations too high? For 90 freaking dollars, you are damn right my expectations are high!

Make me another set?? They already made 3! I already contacted them a dozen times!

What else does ANYONE or you, expect ME, the consumer, to do? Crazy.gif

I feel your pain re repeated conversations and multiple sets, but I think your suggestion that..... no wonder these cost so much if they have to make/ship 3 sets for each customer..... is possibly an unfair statement. I would suspect they have already lost $$$ in your situation. Doesn't mean they shouldn't make it right..... just that you may have not been so accurate in the math.

If you consider their "person-hours" involved in your set of numbers (all the phone conversations, mock-ups, production, packaging) and multiply by a typical hourly wage, then add raw material, and postage costs...... I suggest that they ate up the $90 a long time ago.

Frustrating for you.... sure. But please hang in there, once you get them installed, you'll love them.

To others who may be considering Domed Numbers...... their success-to-failure rate is very very high. Please work with them.... you'll be happy in the long run.

No, I'm not on commission with them.... not even in the same country..... just feel we need to be fair with them re how thrilled they have made so many people here on The Crew.

oh and since I am "ranting" Tongue.gif

Doug, even at 15+ dollars an hour for labor, 5 dollars each time to ship, and the dozen emails back and forth, I would venture to say that at the VERY least they broke even on making my set of domed numbers.

I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure they didn't lose any money making my set. What company WOULD lose anything when they offer a 100% satisfaction gurantee?

Not to mention, if they get a set right the first time, they made a 200%+ profit.

WHOA WHOA WHOA~! Where did I slander ANYONE? Make sure you know the definition of "slander" before you accuse somebody of it.

Expectations too high? For 90 freaking dollars, you are damn right my expectations are high!

Make me another set?? They already made 3! I already contacted them a dozen times!

What else does ANYONE or you, expect ME, the consumer, to do? Crazy.gif

Saw that coming.

Sorry to hear you're still disappointed after they made them to your specification. Sounds like it's time to move on and find a better solution for your boat. Life's too short to be unhappy and it seems to me that you and DomedNumbers are not meant to be... Dontknow.gif

Here's hoping you find something that works better for you...

Cheers,

Mike

I FINALLY got the domed numbers made the way I specified. The color is perfect, the shadow and italic and font are perfect as well.

HOWEVER, after all I went through with them, I am STILL NOT impressed. The look like glorified Vinyl numbers to me, nothing more, nothing less. Unless you are 2 feet from them you can't even tell they are domed. Not to mention that 2 out of each set of numbers have little bubbles in them, which OF COURSE I couldn't see until I applied them and removed the wax paper stuff. Mad.gif

I am totally disappointed for the price I paid for these things. Not worth it in my opinion at all! Maybe everyone else thinks they are great, but not me.

que sera, sera, "whatever will be, will be" Mad.gif:( :(

oh and since I am "ranting" Tongue.gif

Doug, even at 15+ dollars an hour for labor, 5 dollars each time to ship, and the dozen emails back and forth, I would venture to say that at the VERY least they broke even on making my set of domed numbers.

I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure they didn't lose any money making my set. What company WOULD lose anything when they offer a 100% satisfaction gurantee?

Not to mention, if they get a set right the first time, they made a 200%+ profit.

I agree with you 100% on one thing.......... yes, you are ranting.

Let it go.

Let it go.
No doubt.

Just to add my two cents....mine weren't correct the first time ordering either...colors didn't match from the beginning of the letter/number line to the end. I called and they sent out replacements. The 2nd set also was messed up, in that the end of the letter/number line was like melted on one of the sets. Rather than call and complain again, I used the last 2 letters from a previous messed up set and the colors happened to match up. The quality of the doomed numbers are super nice, but they need someone to better inspect these things before they mail them out to people....it would save alot of anger and frustration.