Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Recommendations for LESS hole shot 2002 Response

Gara

1 hour ago, Gara said:

Great ideas re: the teaching.  Should have thought of that.  I'll ask a couple of the more patient, older guys we ski with occasionally.  Should have thought of that

Even better, the fellow who owned the boat removed Perfect Pass but I'll work on getting that back connected and running.  I think as a barefooter they just hammered it.  Forgot PP will deal with the acceleration too.  Hopefully it is functioning.  That may be my next set of posts.....

Thanks for the 4 blade info as well.  I did talk to a somewhat local shop by phone yesterday and they said the same about it increasing hole shot which is not what I need.

Great info, thanks very much.  I have some questions on getting a strainer in and / or flush kit which I'll post separately. Also on whether / when heat exchanger and manifolds should be cleaned or replaced.

I know the boat of which you speak.  That is a CLEAN boat.

Definitely hook the PP back up and train your drivers.  A 449 would be a good choice as well.

2 hours ago, Gara said:

Great ideas re: the teaching.  Should have thought of that.  I'll ask a couple of the more patient, older guys we ski with occasionally.  Should have thought of that

Even better, the fellow who owned the boat removed Perfect Pass but I'll work on getting that back connected and running.  I think as a barefooter they just hammered it.  Forgot PP will deal with the acceleration too.  Hopefully it is functioning.  That may be my next set of posts.....

Thanks for the 4 blade info as well.  I did talk to a somewhat local shop by phone yesterday and they said the same about it increasing hole shot which is not what I need.

Great info, thanks very much.  I have some questions on getting a strainer in and / or flush kit which I'll post separately. Also on whether / when heat exchanger and manifolds should be cleaned or replaced.

Unless you have something I'm unaware of, the Perfect Pass does nothing as far as initial acceleration; it captures your target speed then locks on.  You can fiddle with the settings of how much throttle it gives and how quickly it gives it to maintain your target speed, but getting up to the target speed is all on the driver.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, formulaben said:

Unless you have something I'm unaware of, the Perfect Pass does nothing as far as initial acceleration; it captures your target speed then locks on.  You can fiddle with the settings of how much throttle it gives and how quickly it gives it to maintain your target speed, but getting up to the target speed is all on the driver.

My pp doesn't.  I still have to drive the boat.  My hand controls how fast we accelerate and typically I back off when we are close at the set speed otherwise pp will over shoot it and come down.  When I'm on my game I can stick it to almost the exact riding speed and then let PP control keeping it there.  

My friends 2015 Nautique with zero off does the same thing.  If you just hit the throttle and go you will overshoot your speed and have to wait a few seconds for ZO to bring it down.  

The only way I can give riders a smooth easy start and park them right on their desired speed is to drive the boat w/ some finesse on the controls.  

I'd say practice and err on the slow side.  Have her roll the throttle up slowly and stop when she gets close to the set speed.  A too slow start is harder on your muscles but shouldn't cause injury.  Over time she'll get better and can start you a little faster. 

Edit:  If you think another prop would fit your needs better get one.  My only point is a prop can't replace driver experience.  I'm a foot taller and 100lbs heavier than my wife.  We use different starts and speeds but obviously the same prop. 

Edited by Gavin17
  • Like 2
On 9/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, SkiPablo said:

make sure you stay in the 5300-5600 rpm range for full throttle.

My LS1 has a 5800RPM redline, not 5600.

23 hours ago, Gara said:

This has the LS1 Corvette engine

Malibu/Indmar love marketing it as a "Corvette" engine, throwing badges and the Corvette fuel rail covers on it.  Technically speaking, the Indmar LS1 is more like the Camaro/Firebird/GTO LS1 than the Vette, as it is a cable operated throttle body like them, not drive by wire like the Vette.  But saying the boat has a Camaro motor doesn't sound as cool.  It is all marketing, nothing more.  The boats simply have the LS1 that has been used in various applications.

@Gara the 515 = more out of the hole/less top speed. I don't remember exact numbers but at 1100', 1/4 fuel, two people on-board I can hit 44 Mph (515). with the 525 there was no difference in top speed, but out of the hole was way worse.......and I need the extra pull.....I like cheeseburgers......

56 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

@Gara the 515 = more out of the hole/less top speed. I don't remember exact numbers but at 1100', 1/4 fuel, two people on-board I can hit 44 Mph (515). with the 525 there was no difference in top speed, but out of the hole was way worse.......and I need the extra pull.....I like cheeseburgers......

Think you might have that backwards.  525 will have more holeshot than 515.  515 is 12" pitch.  525 is 11.5" or "lower" gearing.

I have the 525 on my Monsoon powered SLXI and it's perfect.  I would think the 515 would be a perfect match for the LS-1.  If not, go with more cup instead of the stock .08 like others have stated.

Edited by Brodie
On 9/19/2018 at 8:04 PM, dlb said:

The solution is Perfect Pass or another speed control product with an auto up mode, otherwise known as the marriage saver.....

Perfect Pass does not have an auto-up feature.  Maybe there is another system out there that has it for a drive-by-wire application, but it doesn't exist in the mechanically driven environment to my knowledge.  Also, I would NEVER use it if it was available due to so many variables at play when throttling up.  That could a real safety issue.

Edited by Brodie
2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Accuski (RIP!) used to have an auto up feature that worked on mechanical servo systems. 

oh yeah.  Forgot about that one.  Man that was confusing to get correct.... so many steps.  It's been a long time since I've used that.  Never did like it.

Edited by Brodie

Since I had a loose prop (see post on clanking in reverse), I put on the 515.  It is a noticeably gentler hole shot, and a tad lower on the rpm's.  I like it.  The wake seems a bit bubbly but I have to go out on a calmer day and with better skiers and see if that's true.  It also seems to cavitate slightly in the turns but again have to check that out on a better day.

13 hours ago, Gara said:

Since I had a loose prop (see post on clanking in reverse), I put on the 515.  It is a noticeably gentler hole shot, and a tad lower on the rpm's.  I like it.  The wake seems a bit bubbly but I have to go out on a calmer day and with better skiers and see if that's true.  It also seems to cavitate slightly in the turns but again have to check that out on a better day.

Which turns?

On 9/18/2018 at 7:55 PM, Chaabo said:

Put on the 515 and learn how to apply throttle the right way when you pull skiers. Enjoy the holeshot when driving the boat without someone skiing. :)

Told you so. :biggrin:

If this is still a concern, I can sell you my stainless CVP for cheap.  It's my spare.  Has several hundred hours on it so it's one of the good ones, and it's in perfect shape.

This morning was the first morning out after putting the 515 in its place.  I go about 250 lbs and the CVP would ease me out nicely with a WOT rollup holeshot.  The 515 yanks me out of the water in less than half the time.  I needed to instruct my driver not to go to WOT to pull me out.

6 hours ago, UWSkier said:

If this is still a concern, I can sell you my stainless CVP for cheap.  It's my spare.  Has several hundred hours on it so it's one of the good ones, and it's in perfect shape.

This morning was the first morning out after putting the 515 in its place.  I go about 250 lbs and the CVP would ease me out nicely with a WOT rollup holeshot.  The 515 yanks me out of the water in less than half the time.  I needed to instruct my driver not to go to WOT to pull me out.

I’d keep the cvp as a spare. Always good to have a backup.