Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Paging IXFE - 23 vs 25 LSV

hethj7

@The Hulk I actually agree with most of your post. If I had your truck I would not be thinking I needed to upgrade it to get a 25.  Well, at least not the current gen 25. We have no idea how much the new 25 will weigh. I mean... if there even is a new 25, and I’m not saying there is 😜

However, if a guy is towing his 23 with a 1/2 ton SUV (as I was) then I would advise a tow vehicle upgrade when going to the 25. And as long as one is upgrading, why not go all the way?  Diesel is king. There’s no way you can tell me your 400+ ft/lb of torque is even in the same league as my 900+ ft/lb. Also, my F-250 will depreciate a lot slower than your gasser.  

Now before you get too riled up, I acknowledge there are other considerations. For example, if you never stray far from home with the boat and the truck is your daily driver, perhaps you make a different decision. 

28 minutes ago, IXFE said:

@The Hulk I actually agree with most of your post. If I had your truck I would not be thinking I needed to upgrade it to get a 25.  Well, at least not the current gen 25. We have no idea how much the new 25 will weigh. I mean... if there even is a new 25, and I’m not saying there is 😜

However, if a guy is towing his 23 with a 1/2 ton SUV (as I was) then I would advise a tow vehicle upgrade when going to the 25. And as long as one is upgrading, why not go all the way?  Diesel is king. There’s no way you can tell me your 400+ ft/lb of torque is even in the same league as my 900+ ft/lb. Also, my F-250 will depreciate a lot slower than your gasser.  

Now before you get too riled up, I acknowledge there are other considerations. For example, if you never stray far from home with the boat and the truck is your daily driver, perhaps you make a different decision. 

Truck is daily kid hauler family vehicle. Actually it's a better ride than the wife's Denali IMO..

I won't disagree 250 is always going to be better for Pulling anything. I just think that with the new 10 speeds and EcoBoost it's not absolutely necessary if thats a guys deciding factor on getting a 25 verse a 23

But I surely agree if I was pulling everyday I would want one.. maybe I need to look into the F250 Plat.. ha. I've ridden in a few non plat 250s though and they just don't seem that comfortable of a ride compared to the 150 for every day. Honestly the ride is just crazy good on these new F-150s

The 25 lsv however is so much smoother than the 23 lsv in some chop! And the room to die for... I really would like to try the 17 inch prop to see how it compares to the 15in on a 25.. 

I just don't see it as a big enough deal to upgrade at the moment as I love my boat color scheme and the price I got it for.. as I've said a walk-through would be a game-changer on the 25 and a sure upgrade for me. Going to hold out another year or 2 to see if it happens. 

Heck having the 25 has me going back to the table everyday whether I need a pontoon or not.. that likely will have less capacity.. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

I won't disagree 250 is always going to be better for Pulling anything. I just think that with the new 10 speeds and EcoBoost it's not absolutely necessary if thats a guys deciding factor on getting a 25 verse a 23

Neither do I which is why I told @surfdude he could make it work even with his Raptor. 

14 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

My 2015 and my New 2018 F150 3.5 Eco boost pulls our 23 LSV  amazingly well! it has great power and defiantly does not push it around at all.  Now A 25 might be another thing. 

Towing and storage do become a concern with this boat for sure.  On the storage side we store ours at a storage lot right now, but are looking to move to land that either has a garage big enough or will build one.  Only issue is the housing market around where we live is insane.  The prices are bloated and every good place we find has 7-8 offers.

On the towing side I don’t think you need a diesel.  Unless you’re towing 5th wheels or massive boats I think the epa choked down side of the modern diesel just aren’t worth it.  My last three trucks were diesels and each one got worse gas mileage, were more sluggish, and had more epa equipment that constantly went out than the last, so I switched back to a gasser.  I stuck with a 3/4 ton for the year ratio, brakes, and other heavy duty towing features.  Love the low maintenance cost, hate the cost of 91 fuel, love no def fluid and fluid injectors, and no crappy exhaust sensors to throw you into limp mode in the middle of no where.

We live at about 5800 ft of alt, our lake is only about 1 mile from us and at the time we had the 22vlx.  Our big worry was our 3 hour trips to other lakes and our yearly tow through the Rockies to Powell.  First thing I noticed was around town I noticed zero difference towing.  Through the mountains it didn’t perform as well as our f-250, but it wasn’t terrible either.

then we upgraded to the 25lsv this year and I was worried we’d need a new truck.  To my surprise i noticed around town it did the same as with the 22vlx behind it, I think the triple axle trailer helped.  The big fear again was Powell.  We just went a few weeks ago and my truck did great.  We did about 70 over the passes, got about 1mpg less than my diesel.  For these wake boats diesels just aren’t worth the headaches and maintenance, unless you’re really towing heavy. Diesel trucks aren’t the great gas mileage high mileage beasts they used to be. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, NWBU said:

Found another pic of the 25 LSV on Malibu’s site, and I’m guessing those in the Dallas area will get a chance to see it in person this weekend.

23D85B7D-2A24-42CB-B705-5150743BFB80.jpeg

It's actually pretty sweet in person. The 6.2DI is NICE!

21 hours ago, NWBU said:

Found another pic of the 25 LSV on Malibu’s site, and I’m guessing those in the Dallas area will get a chance to see it in person this weekend.

Looks beefy, and more stout then the outgoing model.  Still has the sexy Malibu lines though.  I like it!

• Like 2
23 hours ago, NWBU said:

That’s a good looking boat. 

• Like 3
On 9/13/2018 at 1:44 AM, NWBU said:

Nice find! I know those people! 

On 9/14/2018 at 11:22 PM, Stevo said:

I’m not sold on the gel lines yet, I’m gonna need to play with the boat builder when It’s released. 

The blue and white is nice .... but it’s not a panty dropper. 

Time will tell 

I agree with you on the blue and white.  I still dig it though.  Apply your color scheme to it and I think it would look pretty sick.  

On 9/14/2018 at 8:22 PM, Stevo said:

I’m not sold on the gel lines yet, I’m gonna need to play with the boat builder when It’s released. 

The blue and white is nice .... but it’s not a panty dropper. 

Time will tell 

My dealer has the boat builder for the 2019 25 LSV, but it was running very slowly. Each time we put in a change, it took nearly 10 seconds to reload. We will build later, but I am not sold on the gel lines either and I can't decide between the 25 lsv or the 24 mxz. I will have to wait and see the 25 in person. 

Anyone experienced the ski wake behind the 25LSV?  On my 2015 23LSV I put the PW2 in Lift mode (dismissing the two Power Wedge High Speed Warnings) fill the bow hard tank with ballast and shorten the rope to just inside the rooster tail -- this produces a decent ski wake (certainly not course worthy) and keeps me, my wife, adults and kids still slalom skiing and enjoying the great wakesurf wave as well.  How massive is the 25LSV ski wave?

26 minutes ago, jammer said:

Anyone experienced the ski wake behind the 25LSV?  On my 2015 23LSV I put the PW2 in Lift mode (dismissing the two Power Wedge High Speed Warnings) fill the bow hard tank with ballast and shorten the rope to just inside the rooster tail -- this produces a decent ski wake (certainly not course worthy) and keeps me, my wife, adults and kids still slalom skiing and enjoying the great wakesurf wave as well.  How massive is the 25LSV ski wave?

What speed are you running like this?

1 hour ago, jammer said:

I have slalomed the 2019 25LSV. It exceeded my expectations. 

21 minutes ago, G Spot said:

I have slalomed the 2019 25LSV. It exceeded my expectations. 

And this means... what?  I can't imagine a 25 foot ANYTHING producing a reasonable slalom wake at any speed or line length.  Maybe if one was used to  slaloming behind a 21 foot Bayliner, the 25 footer might meet expectations.

1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

And this means... what?  I can't imagine a 25 foot ANYTHING producing a reasonable slalom wake at any speed or line length.  Maybe if one was used to  slaloming behind a 21 foot Bayliner, the 25 footer might meet expectations.

Exactly. It's a big, heavy boat. I thought it would be absolutely terrible but IMO it was a great balance for recreational skiers that have a higher priority on space, surfing, and wakeboarding. It was not that different from my 2018 23LSV, which also exceeds my expectation for a big, heavy, non-slalom tow rig....

Lift mode.. try it, I also believe the 25 could be similar or better than the 23.. a lot more surface area compared to the extra weight difference..

You're not out to win competitions but if you want to get a run in....all good.. 

I'd be very curious with the new extra lift angle on the newer models..

On 9/7/2018 at 7:22 PM, NWBU said:

I loved my 23 LSV this year but the 25 LSV is really tempting since I keep hearing how good the new 25 LSV wave is from everyone who's been on or behind it. Doesn't sound like there will be one around here to demo until late October though. I can list the 23 a bit to get a good regular side wave but I'm always interested in anything that improves the wave on that side.

Ugh, you and others on here have already cost me so much $. Just a few years ago I thought my 99 Ski Centurion was awesome...

2  5   7 !

Watched some of the video footage from surf the lake where the new 25 made its “debut”. A few observations from quick interior shots...

- 3 interior cabin speakers on port side

- no bow walkway pockets or speakers

- different hardware for wakeview bench, looks to have multiple position option

- additional contouring of rear bench seat backs left, center, right

- not certain but looks like there may be led down lighting built into center section at top of GX tower

Edited by lerch
Spelling
27 minutes ago, skurfer said:

2  5   7 !

Yeah, thanks.

To be honest, I came away pretty pumped on the 2019 23 LSV after demoing it over the weekend. With the quieter PCM at all speeds, surfing at lower RPMs than I could with the 410, and the interior tweaks they made for 2019, I'm most likely sticking with the 23 rather than the 25 LSV. All that may go out the window after the first ride though. 

On 9/13/2018 at 12:44 AM, NWBU said:

Separated at birth?  freedomcamo_2.jpg