Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22LSV vs 22MXZ

ID AX

41 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

I’m not a fan of the g23 surf wake it’s too steep and just doesn’t have a decent shape. Just my opinion... and the 22 is very similar just a bit smaller overall. 

It needs bow weight and you have to run the wedge in the right spot.  It's got WAY better shape than I could get out of my '14 23LSV.

10 minutes ago, tjklein said:

It needs bow weight and you have to run the wedge in the right spot.  It's got WAY better shape than I could get out of my '14 23LSV.

You talking 22lsv or the gs22? The g definitely has a nice wake it’s just too different and yes I’m riding one that’s dialled In.

• 2 weeks later...

demoed the 22LSV and GS22 back to back today and they are both 22' and that's where the similarities end.  I was all set to video all of our surfing and skiing....... and then my 12yo took over.  The good news is my wife helped him get the go pro back up and running.  The bad news is it didn't help :woot: I ended up with footage from the gs22 but lost all of my 22lsv vids and pics.  Oh well, we had a blast on the water anyway.  

22lsv felt very familiar and was comfortable.  I like the updates, especially the new vinyl and foam.  The batteries being in the bow makes for a lot more storage behind the windshield.  I was able to fit 2 slalom skis and a surf board under the port seating and in the OB locker.  We filled all ballast with 550 bags in the lockers.  We had the wedge at 1 position below lift, as any more and I would have to stand up to see.  Speed was between 10.8 and 11.2 mph.  We didn't run extra bow weight and I would probably just run less rear weight if we order one.  The bow rise was worse than my 15 23lsv, by a lot.  Somewhat disappointing but that's what the power capt chair is for, right?  The touch screen froze on us right off the bat but a quick battery reset did the trick.  The surf wave was typical malibu and had tons of push.  I didn't even try to ski it.  At 30mph the wake looked even bigger than our 23lsv is.  Overall it's a great boat but we were left a little underwhelmed after spending time on the gs22.  If we were looking for a dedicated surf boat, I would be a lot more excited about this boat.  

Pics from the gs22, since that's all we got. :bash:

5b8b602e48ff5_ScreenShot2018-09-01at8_28_13PM.thumb.png.f81bd742f70ad3dbc8d31b6959665036.png

5b8b603683191_ScreenShot2018-09-01at8_40_42PM.thumb.png.02238b153c91045f7608ee1af424fec0.png

5b8b603c9fa7d_ScreenShot2018-09-01at8_56_52PM.thumb.png.d8c841bf220378a33375464236a5f0bd.png

Edited by ID AX
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

nice lip on that gs wave.  How'd it surf?

I like it but I could see how others aren't as stoked about it.  The wave is not massive by any means but does carry a decent punch.  We added 500 total lbs to the lockers and it added some height and push.  This allowed us to go from 10.6, 10.8 to 11.2 mph and that added some length to the wave.   My 14yo hit the nail on the head when he said the wave makes you work for it but not in a bad way.  There is a decent pocket that beginners and people who just want to "surf" will appreciate.  Plenty of push for just standing on a board and moving back and forth on the wave.  If you want to do more than that you are going to have to work the wave.  I will say the couple times I dropped into the curl, I was able to pump the board and get right back into the pocket.  We watched Tommy Czeschin do all kinds of shuv its and spins behind this same boat with a stock wave so I know it's possible.  The lip is very defined and can be solid if you change the settings.  This is the way I like it but my wife preferred the setting that pushed the lip back and made it soft.  She said it was closer to the Bu wave without the massive height.  It's not a surf monster like all the other boats being built right now.  That's one of the reasons we are really looking hard at it.  The ski wake is crazy for a 22' & 4750lb boat.  The wakeboard wake looks like typical Nautique, well defined lips with solid wakes.  I REALLY liked the helm layout and visibility while driving.  One of the big differences to me is the lack of driving like a barge, driving with full ballast wasn't much different than no ballast.  Of course the reaction times were slower but the boat responded to driver input much better than anything I'm used to.  There is NO bow rise while surfing.  It's the craziest damn thing.  It is also the reason the bow rise on the 22lsv drove me nuts.  That's the + - of doing back to back.  I've also read numerous complaints about the freeboard but I like the lower gunnels.  Much easier to see all around the boat and makes it feel more open.  Don't get me wrong I like having the deep cabins on these newer boats but I didn't feel unsafe at any point and didn't come close to taking any water over the bow.  The under floor ballast is a game changer for us.  We could store all of our boards and jackets and anchor and ropes and fenders and ......... With the bags full we could easily store all of our wet gear in 1 locker and dry jackets in the other.  The biggest drawback to the boat is the price.  We would need the H6 to make me happy at 5500' and this pushes us into the 120k range.  That's not MSRP :badmood:

Edited by ID AX