Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I know some of you are ballers but how does a 2018 Malibu LSV cost 170,000 and a 14 cost 75,000?

Imracin68j

I bought a 1992 Malibu Sunsetter, kinda restored it (she ain't purdy). We can almost surf behind it...still working out the weight balance...all for around $4000. I don't have to worry about someone eating in it, drinking something that will stain the upholstery, or fretting about a scratch on the gelcoat.  I have a can of appliance epoxy paint that I touch things up with that doesn't really match color.  She leaks like an old man but I'll eventually figure out that issue.  Lots of fun!

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I think we all need to come to an acceptance that we all value different things.  We valued the five year bumper to bumper warranty.  Saying someone is "X" for buying used or "Y" for buying new is all about preference and their family situation.  

That was definitely worth the five cents!

• Like 2

I stopped by a few weeks back and looked at the 18 model boats.  The LSV's were all over $150k.  It is hard to believe that is what someone is willing to pay for a wakeboard boat these days but as long as people keep buying them they will keep the prices going up.  I agree with others that these increases are the best thing that could ever happen for those of us that have older boats.  Problem is we can sell them for a lot more but are then stuck having to pay a lot for a new one.  I love my boat but would never pay over $100k for it.

I read through there financials and they putting less then 10% to the bottom line.  The margin last year was about 26% on overall boat sales.  They purchased Cobalt this year so hard to tell what the actual Malibu margin is.  I would have guessed a higher margin based on the prices the boats are being sold at.  Maybe the dealers are making more money because of the price increase.

I think if you really went to the table, you would find the 150K pricetag drop substantially.  Like you, most other people won't pay that much for a boat either.  I hear from dealers that there really are some people out there that walk into a dealership and pay the price they see.  A dealer would be dumb to miss out on those. 

And then you are going to feel like a rock star when you get 20% off or more.  

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, The Hulk said:

Looks awesome.. not sure about 2*25lsv price awesome but still looking awesome

And who all has actually seen one on the water(Pavati)??????? I'll wait.

Edited by DatTexasBoy

Supply and demand and right now demand is sky high.  Surfgate has transformed this country.  People have figured out water sports are fun, economy is good and theyre justifying spending crazy money on boats.  Their neighbors are seeing that the Jones's have justified it and then justified upgraded their poontoons too.  Traffic on my lake is triple what it was 4 years ago and until we see a recession, this will only continue to grow. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DatTexasBoy said:

kind of like VS-Models? rare sightings... but your eyes would be glued! haha

• Like 1

Wait till every ones priced out of the surf market & the fad starts to fade.  You'll be picking up boats cheap in no time!  Kills me how even the budget lines have hit 6 figures if you want the larger engine & trailer to come with it.  Or the price jump from a 21' to a 23'.  But you really wanna see serious deprecation, check out Moombas.  I feel bad for anyone that buys one new.  3 years old & they're damn near half of what they cost new.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Same one they had at the February boat show. I wonder how many they have sold. 

They said the sold the 18 in June (I was supposed to demo in July).  I'd be interested as well.

2 hours ago, DatTexasBoy said:

I have! There's one on Lauderdale Lakes in southeastern Wisconsin. There's a lot of money spent out there between boats and real estate. Most people have Nautiques G's and a decent lake house sells for about $750,000. But, the Pavati's are out there.

And...since it seems to be a pissing contest out there about who has the latest and greatest, there will probably be more than 1 Pavati out there next year.

Edited by jaciche
12 minutes ago, racer808 said:

Wait till every ones priced out of the surf market & the fad starts to fade.  You'll be picking up boats cheap in no time!  Kills me how even the budget lines have hit 6 figures if you want the larger engine & trailer to come with it.  Or the price jump from a 21' to a 23'.  But you really wanna see serious deprecation, check out Moombas.  I feel bad for anyone that buys one new.  3 years old & they're damn near half of what they cost new.

True that! I was leaning towards getting an Axis later in life but with how cheap you can buy used Moombas, buying a used one may be hard to pass on.

29 minutes ago, jaciche said:

True that! I was leaning towards getting an Axis later in life but with how cheap you can buy used Moombas, buying a used one may be hard to pass on.

I want to demo the Mojo, that boat fits the bill for us.  If it surfs as well as my MB does I'd be all over it.  Been leaning towards Supremes as of late though or the Centurion Fi series.

2 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

Traffic on my lake is triple what it was 4 years ago and until we see a recession, this will only continue to grow. 

This is the indicator, and I see the same.  Way more people out there, spending time & money on boats. 

2 hours ago, DatTexasBoy said:

I saw this awhile ago on Craigslist.  I have not seen this in person, but it is about 30 - 40 minutes from me.  Tempted to go look at it just to say I have seen one in person.  Still 200K used.

https://swmi.craigslist.org/boa/d/2016-pavati-al24/6673762837.html

00V0V_dC6cjBePdT2_600x450.jpg

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I saw this awhile ago on Craigslist.  I have not seen this in person, but it is about 30 - 40 minutes from me.  Tempted to go look at it just to say I have seen one in person.  Still 200K used.

It looks like Pavati has a device similar to Malibu's surf gate.  Check out he pic that shows the stern.  Does anyone know if they are paying royalties to Malibu?

Edited by Dfowkes
1 hour ago, Hemmy said:

That was our lake with the cottage in high school, Round Lake.  My parents just sold their place a few years ago.  Looking at the map, it's probably for sale by that board shop over by Driftwood and the old Legacy bar.  I'd kinda like to see that too, I'll be in the area next week for work.  I'll provide an update/pics if I get a chance to check it out.

2 hours ago, racer808 said:

I want to demo the Mojo, that boat fits the bill for us.  If it surfs as well as my MB does I'd be all over it.  Been leaning towards Supremes as of late though or the Centurion Fi series.

At the LA boat show last year the Fi23 had a higher boat show price then a new 23LSV.  Centurion is getting oddly proud of their product.  

Im personally not a fan of the Fi, I just don’t like the looks. Way to Bro’d our for me. Also, I’d much rather get a Malibu then Centuions budget line. 

Edited by SCMike
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Anyone know the discount on a MC? 

https://boats.actionwater.com/2019-mastercraft-xstar-inventory.htm?id=2464853&in-stock=1

I feel like this MSRP is just for bragging rights.

My buddy just bought a new MC (I think it's an XT23?) - MSRP was about $165k and he got 25% off of that and was happy.  Boat is gorgeous for sure, but that's still a lot of smackeroos.

That Pavati is beautiful, but unless there is $100k in cash in the glovebox, I'll stick with Malibu.

Edited by Leftlane
2 hours ago, Leftlane said:

My buddy just bought a new MC (I think it's an XT23?) - MSRP was about $165k and he got 25% off of that and was happy.  Boat is gorgeous for sure, but that's still a lot of smackeroos.

That Pavati is beautiful, but unless there is $100k in cash in the glovebox, I'll stick with Malibu.

Someone's gotta pay for all those fancy CNC machines! 

3 hours ago, SCMike said:

At the LA boat show last year the Fi23 had a higher boat show price then a new 23LSV.  Centurion is getting oddly proud of their product.  

Im personally not a fan of the Fi, I just don’t like the looks. Way to Bro’d our for me. Also, I’d much rather get a Malibu then Centuions budget line. 

I agree, when I shopped I was expecting a much bigger price difference, in my market an "On Sale" leftover 2017 ri237 was only $15k less than my 2019 24 MXZ.  The wave was amazing and probably slightly better than the Bu but the fit and finish and styling are still not on par with Bu. Also figured I will make up at least half of the price difference on the resale.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Leftlane said:

My buddy just bought a new MC (I think it's an XT23?) - MSRP was about $165k and he got 25% off of that and was happy.  

When I got my X-30, that's about where the numbers were hitting for their in-stock boats.   I was fortunate enough to find a left over unit that helped drop from that point...