Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 sale price discussion

M235Ozark

2 hours ago, M235Ozark said:

I heard about that thruster but had no idea it was a $9k option.  Wow, that seems high.  These boats only take a couple weekends to learn how to park, would rather spend that $9k on an engine upgrade.  

You probably know this but.    A Jet Thruster system is available as an option on the 2018 24MXZ.   A MSRP $12k option!    Maybe add to other models in 2019.   Not an option I would choose but guess Mailbu thinks that someone wants it.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater

For reference, I am getting 30% off MSRP for my 19' 24 MXZ for a total of about $139K, maybe could have done better but I am happy with the deal.  I may have already mentioned in an early thread but a similarly equipped 18' Supra SL was $123K and 18' Centurion ri237 was $125K, which surprised me as I thought there would be more of a difference and therefore make my decision harder. I could be wrong but my guess I will make up at least half of the price difference on resale.  I am all about sharing this info to help all of us stay informed and get as fair of a deal as possible on these expensive boats.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, ORMailbuboater said:

You probably know this but.    A Jet Thruster system is available as an option on the 2018 24MXZ.   A MSRP $12k option!    Maybe add to other models in 2019.  

I think it was also available in 2018 on Malibu's, pretty steep price tag though!

One thing to always keep in mind is there are also 2 parts to the deal.   1. Trade/Consign current boat  2. Price of new boat.     If the deal includes 30% discount but trade is wholesale, it may not be as good as a 20% discount and retail for your trade.

In states where sales tax is steep. Selling on your own for max $ loses some appeal as you pay sales tax on entire new boat vs. Just the delta between trade and new boat.  

Its a balancing act.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2
49 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

One thing to always keep in mind is there are also 2 parts to the deal.   1. Trade/Consign current boat  2. Price of new boat.     If the deal includes 30% discount but trade is wholesale, it may not be as good as a 20% discount and retail for your trade.

In states where sales tax is steep. Selling on your own for max $ loses some appeal as you pay sales tax on entire new boat vs. Just the delta between trade and new boat.  

Its a balancing act.

This is a good point.... 

My values are for a straight sale, with no trade. I never trade my boats. I always sell my old one, before ordering the new one.

• Like 2

@Chrisjjbrown 2016 G23 with some flake, H6, tower speakers, heater, etc.  Only thing I didn't have was supercharged motor.  I think I was at 29% off MSRP and I was at 130K out the door.  6% michigan sales tax so you can work backwards.  

Even though I didn't lose much money on the boat when I sold it, that was and will be my last boat I spend 100K plus on it.  I got my current boat (2014 G21) for 80K out the door and I like it just as much.  Only thing I wish it had was the pebble watch so I wouldn't have to yell at my wife to hit the surf switch button.  

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I applaud the people in this thread that are willing to talk what they actually paid because there are a lot of reasons why someone may not post their actual purchase price whether they got 1% or 50% off. One, some people feel that is 100% private information and don't care to share it, but they they probably shouldn't brag about what discount they got. And others may have a deal worked out with their dealer and they probably get a heck of a discount and don't want to make that private, again probably shouldn't be the guy bragging or talking about his discount. People who are reading this thread for reference should take the prices others paid with a grain of salt because it varies so much by dealer, region and brand. Make a deal between you and the dealer that you feel comfortable paying.

7 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

@Chrisjjbrown 2016 G23 with some flake, H6, tower speakers, heater, etc.  Only thing I didn't have was supercharged motor.  I think I was at 29% off MSRP and I was at 130K out the door.  6% michigan sales tax so you can work backwards.  

Even though I didn't lose money on the boat when I sold it, that was and will be my last boat I spend 100K plus on it.  I got my current boat (2014 G21) for 80K out the door and I like it just as much.  Only thing I wish it had was the pebble watch so I wouldn't have to yell at my wife to hit the surf switch button.  

Just in case you missed the news last night @bamaboy

2B300F80-6EF4-4E53-8A1E-23EBD81B2CA7.jpeg

ahopkins22LSV
24 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Just in case you missed the news last night @bamaboy

2B300F80-6EF4-4E53-8A1E-23EBD81B2CA7.jpeg

Except I didn't say that... I could care less if other people share, just don't hold it against someone if they aren't willing.

On 6/27/2018 at 1:51 PM, TenTwentyOne said:

Like I said, it’s not a typical deal. From what I know, 25-28% is more typical for a great deal. I help that dealer A LOT, and they return the favor with a heavy discount. My Star should have been around 148k. The discount on my G’s was 27%.

on your next purchase, I’d shoot for that range, if you didn’t get that this time. (25-28%).

I wasn’t aware you bought a Star as well. How are you liking it?

Yea I still fell a little short of that. 

I take delivery tomorrow or Saturday. I have two full days on the water in one and really fell in love with the boat. Huge step up from my LSV and even my buddies 18 23lsv IMO... 

Edited by SurfinLSV

Perhaps, or a new guy could roll in that just realized a purchase he thought he could never make may actually be attainable.  Not to mention, publicly displayed boat show prices are often mid-twenties% off MSRP, so within spitting distance of some numbers on this thread.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

If I were a dealer of any of those who revealed their price, I would feel somewhat betrayed if the discount I gave to them was more than I give to most.  The next thing I know some bozo comes to my dealership expecting XX% discount and I might lose a sale, when I refuse to give it.  Next time the guy that revealed his discount all over the internet comes to the dealership, his discount just got less because of fear that is now the discount I have to give everyone.   

This depends on the situation. How do you know the people that are posting didn’t get Joe Schmoe pricing? In fact, their next boat purchase could be an even better discount now that they have a relationship and are on boat 2, 3, etc. I’ve had dealers request I don’t share the price they quoted before. If they don’t, I assume I’m not getting anything special and anyone else is going to get the same deal.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

If I were a dealer of any of those who revealed their price, I would feel somewhat betrayed if the discount I gave to them was more than I give to most.  The next thing I know some bozo comes to my dealership expecting XX% discount and I might lose a sale, when I refuse to give it.  Next time the guy that revealed his discount all over the internet comes to the dealership, his discount just got less because of fear that is now the discount I have to give everyone.  

But I'm not a dealer, so I could be all off base here.  

I am sorry but this is a ridiculous take, when you have a veil of secrecy on pricing and protected territories a thread like this is what you get.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

prices others paid with a grain of salt because it varies so much by dealer, region and brand

Doesn't every dealer in the country pay the same price for the boat from Malibu?  If so, most of these business would have to run at similar margins so their really shouldn't be that big a of a discrepancy between dealers, no?

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, Chappy said:

Doesn't every dealer in the country pay the same price for the boat from Malibu?  If so, most of these business would have to run at similar margins so their really shouldn't be that big a of a discrepancy between dealers, no?

Yes but some dealers rely more on volume to get sales and make money so they sell more bots at a larger discount and others don’t sell nearly as many so they don’t give as good of a discount.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Yes but some dealers rely more on volume to get sales and make money so they sell more bots at a larger discount and others don’t sell nearly as many so they don’t give as good of a discount.

I thought that also, but I will say the tiny dealer I bought from beat the biggest dealer down here in the south east by over 15k and I barely negotiated with my dealer and negotiated for weeks with the bigger one 🤷🏻‍♂️

ahopkins22LSV
40 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

I thought that also, but I will say the tiny dealer I bought from beat the biggest dealer down here in the south east by over 15k and I barely negotiated with my dealer and negotiated for weeks with the bigger one 🤷🏻‍♂️

That proves my point though. Every dealer is different. I was just using a “large” and a “small” dealer as an example. 

• Like 2