Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23LSV with 383 HH-complete engine shut down with a new clanking noise

Very interested in this thread as my boat did the exact same thing last weekend! I have a 2008 LSV with HH. Died while on the fly. After testing a few things, checked the cap and rotor and sure enough, the two screws that hold the rotor in place had come off so that rotor was getting tossed around. Same clanking noises you probably heard also. Planning on replacing the cap and rotor but I thought I would be able to re-assemble the existing one and see if the engine would start up. Still the same result, unfortunately. Engine will crank, but won't fire up. 

After stepping away for a bit, I realized I may have put the rotor in wrong. The screw holes allow you to put it in two different ways. It can be rotated 180 degrees and screwed in. The first time I fired it up I heard a loud, abnormal ignition sound and lots of smoke, but then just cranking and no ignition after that. After some time, that result made me think that I had sparked the wrong cylinder at the wrong time (out of sequence). I went back in and rotated the rotor 180 degrees from where I originally put it and viola!...started right up!

Finally got my new distributor from Bakes and got it installed, and things are good as new. Thanks everyone for all the help! 

• Like 3

Well the new distributor is working great but I came full circle back to a misfire code in cylinder 1. Fuel pressure is steady at 61psi at idle. Compression in cylinder 1 and 3 are both 180psi, so I should be good there. I have spark at the plug. RPMs are bouncing just a bit but it’s about +/- 75. Pulled the #1 injector and cleaned it the best I could and reinstalled it as the #3 injector. Fired it up and I still have the same misfire code in cylinder 1. It idles great and I can not detect a miss. I’m going to put it in the water and see if I can feel anything miss under load. 

As for the alternator is still putting out roughly 11.7 volts because I was not able to install the new one since I ordered the wrong one. 

Any ideas? 

Edited by Imedrano

New alternator and still missing like crazy under load. I’m stumped. I really don’t want to travel to a dealer but I might have to. 

12 hours ago, Imedrano said:

New alternator and still missing like crazy under load. I’m stumped. I really don’t want to travel to a dealer but I might have to. 

All the wires to the right cylinders? You'll have to get out to manual to make sure.

19 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

All the wires to the right cylinders? You'll have to get out to manual to make sure.

I have triple checked them so I think I have them right. 

My engine has some timing marks on the balancer and I installed the new distributor at the 0 mark, which according to the #1 piston, it seemed like TDC but I have been reading that the timing should be set to a cam angle of like 705. Any input on that? 

5 minutes ago, Imedrano said:

My engine has some timing marks on the balancer and I installed the new distributor at the 0 mark, which according to the #1 piston, it seemed like TDC but I have been reading that the timing should be set to a cam angle of like 705. Any input on that? 

How are you setting timing? Only way to set cam angle (timing) on my 2012 is to use the diacom software to view it. 

53 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

How are you setting timing? Only way to set cam angle (timing) on my 2012 is to use the diacom software to view it. 

I just found TDC and then marked the old distributor location and then made the swap. The way it is acting feels like a timing issue to me, but I am no mechanic. 

1 minute ago, CanVLX said:

383 HH needs to be installed at 10 degrees before top dead center. From there it needs to be tuned using the computer. 

Ok thanks. I am going to try and restab it at 10 degrees right as we speak. It should run fairly well before the fine tuning correct?

4 hours ago, CanVLX said:

383 HH needs to be installed at 10 degrees before top dead center. From there it needs to be tuned using the computer. 

Thanks for that awesome bit of info. Re-stabbed the distributor 10 degrees in advance and it would start but would not throttle up. Got back to the house and advanced the timing by turning the distributor gear to the next groove and then hit the water a second time and it started and took off good as new! 

Still have the misfire code in cylinder 1 but I am back to not being able to hear or feel any sign of a miss. Hopefully going to get it on a computer in the next few weeks but for now I’m hoping it will be good to go for our lake vacation this weekend. 

Thanks for for all the much needed help guys! 

3 minutes ago, Imedrano said:

Thanks for that awesome bit of info. Re-stabbed the distributor 10 degrees in advance and it would start but would not throttle up. Got back to the house and advanced the timing by turning the distributor gear to the next groove and then hit the water a second time and it started and took off good as new! 

Still have the misfire code in cylinder 1 but I am back to not being able to hear or feel any sign of a miss. Hopefully going to get it on a computer in the next few weeks but for now I’m hoping it will be good to go for our lake vacation this weekend. 

Thanks for for all the much needed help guys! 

Misfire code could be as simple as the cam timing being slightly out of spec.  Need to get diacomm on there so that you can set it properly.