Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Memorial Day boat launching

Clutch-n-Throttle

I saw a couple trying to back their small IO down the ramp and were having problems.  I offered to help 'Launch that bad boy' and the guy in the boat who was relaying instructions to his wife via a Walkie talkie said it was her first time. I guess they eventually launched. I have never seen walkie talkies before on the boat ramp. 

42 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

I saw a couple trying to back their small IO down the ramp and were having problems.  I offered to help 'Launch that bad boy' and the guy in the boat who was relaying instructions to his wife via a Walkie talkie said it was her first time. I guess they eventually launched. I have never seen walkie talkies before on the boat ramp. 

When my wife was learning, I had her call me from the BT in the truck, and I was able to talk her down the ramp, and maybe more importantly, help her know when she had the trailer at the right depth.  I just set the phone on the dash on speaker... worked great!   I really think a lot of it was emotional support... She actually picked it up pretty quickly, but didnt fully trust herself when it was busy.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, JeffC said:

When my wife was learning, I had her call me from the BT in the truck, and I was able to talk her down the ramp, and maybe more importantly, help her know when she had the trailer at the right depth.  I just set the phone on the dash on speaker... worked great!   I really think a lot of it was emotional support... She actually picked it up pretty quickly, but didnt fully trust herself when it was busy.

I feel like both of these ideas are great and I'm going to use the phone one at least. It's the cheaper option. I'm still fairly new, but put my boat in a marina so I didn't have to trailer each time. The anxiousness that comes with loading/unloading shouldn't be forgotten by the veterans but as many of you guys have indicated, it's not the newbies that are frustrating, its the inconsiderate newbies. 

15 hours ago, Goodjhunting said:

it's not the newbies that are frustrating, its the inconsiderate newbies. 

Quite often these inconsiderate people aren't newbies.

Ha I looked like a newb over the weekend. New to me 08 F250 6.4l, used it to luanch the boat after using my wife’s X5/ Astro Awd Van last few years. Got stuck on the ramp with 4x4 not engaging. A guy pulled me about 2 feet with his pontoon trailer and F150, on the  way out we had to use the boat to power us up a few feet.

i have had the Malibu for 5 years and been boating for over 10 and first time I got stuck on the ramp. I missed my 2000 Chevy Awd Astro for a quick minute. 

I helped a mom and son launch a sailboat a couple years ago. She had a sedan and it was a very small boat. The whole trailer was probably 8’ long with wheels probably 5’ from the bumper. Every tiny movement was pronounced. I used to own a sailboat rental business where I delivered to your lake, so I have tons of trailer experience. It was one of the most difficult launches I’ve ever done. I had to talk her into letting me help but was very relieved when it was done. 

We went out for 4 hours on that Friday night, then Sunday/Monday.

It was probably the most busy on Friday night.  A bunch of boats (us included) went up near the damn where the Columbus Zoo is located and listened to a concert going on there.  $100 in tickets or listen from the water for free. :)

Water wasn't busy all weekend long.  As usual, no ramp waiting or drama.  Only saw the Ranger out once for a short time the entire weekend, which is odd since he is usually out there all the time doing nothing useful.

21 minutes ago, braindamage said:

I helped a mom and son launch a sailboat a couple years ago. She had a sedan and it was a very small boat. The whole trailer was probably 8’ long with wheels probably 5’ from the bumper. Every tiny movement was pronounced. I used to own a sailboat rental business where I delivered to your lake, so I have tons of trailer experience. It was one of the most difficult launches I’ve ever done. I had to talk her into letting me help but was very relieved when it was done. 

Yep, those short wheel base trailers are harder to control than the long ones.  Backing my PWC trailer requires a lot of constant corrections.  Backing the boat trailer is a breeze.

10 hours ago, mgb1974 said:

Ha I looked like a newb over the weekend. New to me 08 F250 6.4l, used it to luanch the boat after using my wife’s X5/ Astro Awd Van last few years. Got stuck on the ramp with 4x4 not engaging. A guy pulled me about 2 feet with his pontoon trailer and F150, on the  way out we had to use the boat to power us up a few feet.

i have had the Malibu for 5 years and been boating for over 10 and first time I got stuck on the ramp. I missed my 2000 Chevy Awd Astro for a quick minute. 

Sounds like you have very slippery boat ramp.  Does your Ford have a limited slip rear axle?

10 hours ago, mgb1974 said:

Next time try using the left foot locker.  Should be enough to get you started and up the ramp in 2wd.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:48 PM, P6Expert said:

It has always been my position that if someone is struggling while launching or loading their boat, I will offer help.  I remember when my wife and I first learned to launch and load our boat, the learning curve can be steep.  I will even backup someone's trailer if they need that much help.  The sooner they get out of the way, the sooner I can launch. 

With regards Memorial Day boating, we were out on Folsom Lake yesterday (Monday) and got a late start for me (we left just after noon).  My main ramp was closed due to a full parking lot (Folsom Point), so I had to go further out to launch (at Granite Bay).  The ramps were covered in debris due to a full lake and recent heavy rain (on Friday).  People were struggling all over the place due to large debris fields on the ramps and in the water.  I had to clear debris prior to loading my boat after a quick outing on the late.  As for our boating, the lake was full and there was much debris floating on the lake.  Needless to say, we were only out for a few hours due to the chaos.  I can't wait to launch on a weekday and enjoy the lake all to myself. 

I was out there Sunday. We got out at 6am (lake all to ourselves) found a spot on the shore in the south fork to set up base camp, rode til 9:30 or so and then parked for the rest of the day. I only ride on the weekdays and NEVER on the holiday weekends (mostly because i work holidays). That day made me realize that i am not missing much. What a zoo. Combine all the people with all the debris and it was a recipie for disaster.  We wondered how many bent props happened that weekend. The only drive we took was to follow a boat FULL of youngsters that motored by at 30+mph all standing up dancing and hanging off the tower, just after the sheriff boat went by. We were curious to see if they got stopped. They didn't. I love the late fall and early spring when the water is "too cold" at 60* and we literally have the lake to ourselves 

formulaben
3 hours ago, stags79 said:

Next time try using the left foot locker.  Should be enough to get you started and up the ramp in 2wd.

What's a left foot locker?  :dontknow:

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, formulaben said:

What's a left foot locker?  :dontknow:

Left foot locker is when you use the brakes to keep from spinning one wheel on am open diff.  When your starting keep some pressure on the brakes with the left foot while you start to give it some gas.  It has saved me a couple times driving full-size vans in the winter or vans with sea kayak trailers on the beach.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, stags79 said:

Left foot locker is when you use the brakes to keep from spinning one wheel on am open diff.  When your starting keep some pressure on the brakes with the left foot while you start to give it some gas.  It has saved me a couple times driving full-size vans in the winter or vans with sea kayak trailers on the beach.

It reminds of all the old VW based rail buggies.  You'd install 2 emergency brake handles, one for each rear wheel.  Then you'd just grab and pull the one for the tire that was spinning.