Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Model Year Updates/Changes

ahopkins22LSV

6 hours ago, IXFE said:

Done!  I hope I made you proud, buddy! 

Capture.JPG

Is that a Stormtrooper boat?  Any metal flake in that white?  I have always been a fan of all white, but just haven't had the guts to pull the trigger on one. 

ahopkins22LSV
54 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Is that a Stormtrooper boat?  Any metal flake in that white?  I have always been a fan of all white, but just haven't had the guts to pull the trigger on one. 

White? What white? That’s all charcoal. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

If anyone got an early build 19 that had the PW II logo on the 12” the latest software has the new PW III logo. I have no idea if anything else changed because the lakes are starting to freeze but that changed lol. 

7F6643FF-E8A1-42B5-9677-C76D39481C54.thumb.jpeg.7c56b6abd1c33df147b2acaef4a386bf.jpeg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Nice thing about a mono colour hull is the gel is 3x thicker.

4 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Nice thing about a mono colour hull is the gel is 3x thicker.

I doubt the color selection would significantly change the gelcoat thickness on a build.  Also, three times thicker gel is not a really a good thing, unless you like lots of cracks.

12 hours ago, csleaver said:

I doubt the color selection would significantly change the gelcoat thickness on a build.  Also, three times thicker gel is not a really a good thing, unless you like lots of cracks.

You have to realize how these things are built to understand why a mono-colour will be "3x thicker".  Since they are built inside (gel coat first!) out, each colour must fit within the approx 22 MILS total gel coat thickness (at least that was the number Paul Singer gave  a ways back; I assume it is still about that thickness).  If you have one colour, there will be ~22 MILS all the way to the barrier coat (another 20 MILS) before you get to the glass.  Add a colour and it would be sprayed to about 8 MILS -  12 MILS give or take and then backed  with up to  10-14 MILS more.  Add another colour and then the preceeding colour will be thinner to account for the other colours.  You can test this when you scratch your boat (just kidding!) and you will not see metalflake all the way to the barrier coat (which BTW Malibu used to use black barrier for light hulls and light barrier for dark hulls: never figured out why or if they still do).  A solid (mono-colour) hull will be one colour all the way to the barrier coat and a multi-colour hull will  not be. 

This past summer my buddy's almost new MC got scratched  when another boat smacked up against it while it was moored.  You could see the various colour layers.  Thankfully it was basic red and black, not flake, so repair will be indistinguishable once completed.  

Edited by Eagleboy99
Needed more coffee for right UOM!
On 11/21/2018 at 6:21 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

If anyone got an early build 19 that had the PW II logo on the 12” the latest software has the new PW III logo. I have no idea if anything else changed because the lakes are starting to freeze but that changed lol. 

7F6643FF-E8A1-42B5-9677-C76D39481C54.thumb.jpeg.7c56b6abd1c33df147b2acaef4a386bf.jpeg

Early software bug. Update fixed it.