Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Model Year Updates/Changes

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV
23 minutes ago, Suggy said:

The main reason I think Malibu made the swivel an option is because of the new seat. With the new seat, you don't HAVE to swivel in order to turn around and talk with the cabin. I can see this option being checked for every dealer for a few years then when people are used to the new seat seeing the option be less ordered. I could be wrong though.

To make this clear for everyone as well (sorry I'm late to the party), you can order the flip-down swim step & wireless charging (AS AN OPTION) on every model except the 21 VLX & MLX (unsure of TXi). Yes, this even means the VTX can have these two options, they didn't forget about the little guy.

Don’t let my wife know we could have gotten the flip down platform...

• Like 3

Have you guys messed with the new PTM clamping board racks?  We did at the dealer this weekend and couldn't get the clamps to open after clamping a board down.  You had to slam your hand really hard on the release mechanism to have it open up.  Our dealer said they changed it this year and now they really don't work well.  Same story on the two different racks we tried out.  On one hand I was glad to save the $2k+ but was also bummed as those racks look SOOO much better than the bungee version.

56 minutes ago, eubanks said:

.  Our dealer said they changed it this year and now they really don't work well.  Same story on the two different racks we tried out.  On one hand I was glad to save the $2k+ but was also bummed as those racks look SOOO much better than the bungee version.

Man thats good to know when buying a used boat in the future. Check the board racks to make sure they werent the crappy ones on the 2019s lol

2 hours ago, eubanks said:

Have you guys messed with the new PTM clamping board racks?  We did at the dealer this weekend and couldn't get the clamps to open after clamping a board down.  You had to slam your hand really hard on the release mechanism to have it open up.  Our dealer said they changed it this year and now they really don't work well.  Same story on the two different racks we tried out.  On one hand I was glad to save the $2k+ but was also bummed as those racks look SOOO much better than the bungee version.

Checked some out last weekend at Active Water Sports in Oregon.  They worked perfectly.  Thought the new button idea was easier to use than the old style.  Bad batch?    

I was at Tommy's in Boulder 2 weeks ago and they had a 2019 with the clamping racks on it. I wanted to know how much pressure was applied when they were clamping a board. I have a couple of boards that I was worried about damaging. So I put my hand on the rack and clamped it down carefully. The pressure held my hand in place but without and pain and excess pressure. It was if the clamp knew how much pressure to apply based on resistance. I was able to release the clamp with my other hand with no trouble. I know clamping your hand in the rack sounds stupid but "inquiring minds want to know".

It’s definitely harder to release them the tighter you crank them down. But we had issues opening them even when the board was not snugly secured. So to get them tight enough they wouldn’t fly out of your boat then you definitely wouldn’t be able to release them. Our dealer couldn’t open them either. I was 100% convinced I wanted them prior to trying them out...so to not get them shows you how bad they were in reality. 😢

36 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Still won’t put my custom surf style boards in them. But that’s just me. 

I won't put mine in my PTM racks, but I will on my buddies Moomba with the Roswell Triton clamping racks. I really like those and how easy they are.

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, eubanks said:

It’s definitely harder to release them the tighter you crank them down. But we had issues opening them even when the board was not snugly secured. So to get them tight enough they wouldn’t fly out of your boat then you definitely wouldn’t be able to release them. Our dealer couldn’t open them either. I was 100% convinced I wanted them prior to trying them out...so to not get them shows you how bad they were in reality. 😢

Hmm really sounds like they got some bad ones in. They should definitely not be functioning like that. 

13 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I haven’t used the new ones but even on the old ones it would be a pain/near impossible to release if you clamped them too tight. 

I’ve had four different sets of the “old” PTM racks and have never had one that was difficult to release.

I’ll be at the dealer today placing my order for 2019. Just because I read this I’m going to check the “new” PTM racks. Regardless, wild horses couldn’t stop me from checking that box!

Edit: actually it’s TWO boxes :thumbup:

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, 21lsvskier said:

I was at Tommy's in Boulder 2 weeks ago and they had a 2019 with the clamping racks on it. I wanted to know how much pressure was applied when they were clamping a board. I have a couple of boards that I was worried about damaging. So I put my hand on the rack and clamped it down carefully. The pressure held my hand in place but without and pain and excess pressure. It was if the clamp knew how much pressure to apply based on resistance. I was able to release the clamp with my other hand with no trouble. I know clamping your hand in the rack sounds stupid but "inquiring minds want to know".

This is EXACTLY why the clamping racks are so great. Unlike the bungees, with the clamps you can modulate the pressure you apply to a board.  So with a wakeboard or a skimboard you can crank it down tight but with a more delicate surf board you can go easy. Try that with bungees!

11 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Still won’t put my custom surf style boards in them. But that’s just me. 

My rule of thumb is Soulcraft goes up on the bimini while Ronix boards (which are still fragile) go in the PTM rack.  

Edited by IXFE

I have seen with new people putting the boards in our clamping racks really pull the clamps down tight. They don't have to be that tight! They think that the tighter the better. I tell them they just need to be snug to hold the boards. You won't find bungies back on our boat.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
20 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I’ve had four different sets of the “old” PTM racks and have never had one that was difficult to release.

I’ll be at the dealer today placing my order for 2019. Just because I read this I’m going to check the “new” PTM racks. Regardless, wild horses couldn’t stop me from checking that box!

Edit: actually it’s TWO boxes :thumbup:

Remember you need 6 racks for that 25 LSV, and I will trial the 3rd set for free, because I am so nice :biggrin: :blush: 

36 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I’ll be at the dealer today placing my order for 2019.

You don't have a pair if you don't match it to your GT350.
Noooo balls... nobaaaalls..... nooooooooo baaaaalllsssssssss..

doitibetyouwon'tdoit

:Tease3:

:whistle:

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ibelonginprison said:

You don't have a pair if you don't match it to your GT350.
Noooo balls... nobaaaalls..... nooooooooo baaaaalllsssssssss..

doitibetyouwon'tdoit

:Tease3:

:whistle:

Is that a frog blender reference?

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I have seen with new people putting the boards in our clamping racks really pull the clamps down tight. They don't have to be that tight! They think that the tighter the better. I tell them they just need to be snug to hold the boards. You won't find bungies back on our boat.

We had a surf board come loose in the rack when I demo'd a 23 LSV.  We thought they were tight, but were told to crank it a bit tighter.  I never know what to believe anymore.  

Maybe it makes a difference that it was a thin type of board?  Phase 5 Model X.  

Edited by TallRedRider

All my surfboards are Phase 5. Hard to say what the issues are, I've never lost a board. My crew uses these clamping racks now where they used to let boards pile up on the sun deck. The bungies were a PITA for the ladies to use. YMMV