Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Model Year Updates/Changes

ahopkins22LSV

Has anyone else here seen the Axis social media posts showing the bow of a boat with clarion speakers. Clarion was also tagged in the post. Was there a change in stereo vendor for 19? If so I think that is a huge mistake. 

On 7/2/2018 at 1:41 PM, P6Expert said:

I also agree, I really do love the look and function of my G4 tower.  It is super easy to lower for garage storage.  Since my boat was a 2015, I had to upgrade to G4 Pistol Slider brackets for my bimini and now can quickly rotate my bimini to allow the tower to completely lower.  The original brackets on my G4 required me to completely remove the bimini fold the tower (two person job).  Now, it is simple one person to swing bimini out of the way and then folder tower 100% for store in my garage. 

In addition, the brackets to unlock the tower for lowering are simple to unlock and are out of the way and do not extended into the boat seating areas.  When I was looking for boats, I considered a Master Craft and quickly decided I hated the way the tower unlocking brackets extended into the boat seating areas.  I do not know if the G3.2 tower's brackets encroach into the seating areas, but all I can say is the G4's brackets do not.

With regards to looks, I feel the G4 tower is a clean modern design with sleek lines.  I love the way it looks on the water as well as in my garage.  It is both functional and nice looking. 

The downsides of the G4 would include extra cost (I bought my boat used, so I didn't pay this extra cost) and squeaking.  The G4 squeaks like crazy!!!  I have downloaded the MY16.Adv01.JUL08 Service Advisory to eliminate the squeaking, just haven't had the time to implement it yet.  Do G3 towers squeak?  One other downside of the G4 tower is there is no mirror bracket option to attach a mirror directly to the G4 tower.  It would be nice if this was possible as the mirror attached to the windshield blocks some of my views.

As far as an electronic self lowering Gx tower, this seems like a waste.  When lowering the G3 and or G4 towers is so easy, why would one spend money to fix a problem that does not exist?  

Where did you download the service advisory from?  What does it say to do?  My G4 squeaks/clicks as well.  I agree with several of the posters I can never go back to knocking myself out every time I forgot there was a lower speaker just above my head on the prior towers.  Main reason I bought the G4 was the speaker positions and the G3 I had I had to tighten the knobs every time I used the boat.  The lower speaker position is also terrible for whoever has to sit there and get blasted by it.  

I did the fix on my g4 tower and it stopped the click noise. I don’t know how to insert a picture in here off my phone but if you post your email on here or send me a pm with it I’ll email it to you. It was a really easy fix basically take one bolt out of the tower at a time (5/16” hex head) clean residue off of bolt (I used rubbing alcohol) apply red loctite and re-insert bolt, tighten to 50 ft-lbs. The tsb states to do this to the 8 bolts, 4 per leg of tower, 2 inner 2 outer right where the two plates meet where the racks mount. Sounds terrible explaining but like I said I can email it to you.

1 hour ago, SSinister06 said:

I did the fix on my g4 tower and it stopped the click noise. I don’t know how to insert a picture in here off my phone but if you post your email on here or send me a pm with it I’ll email it to you. It was a really easy fix basically take one bolt out of the tower at a time (5/16” hex head) clean residue off of bolt (I used rubbing alcohol) apply red loctite and re-insert bolt, tighten to 50 ft-lbs. The tsb states to do this to the 8 bolts, 4 per leg of tower, 2 inner 2 outer right where the two plates meet where the racks mount. Sounds terrible explaining but like I said I can email it to you.

The following link to my box.com site includes the .JPG of the Service Advisory to reduce G4 tower squeaks.  The SA does note using "red threadlocker," but have read on this site that others recommend using blue tread locker as the red may be overkill.

https://app.box.com/s/bxv7hrf1ezfyobggqeprms0r9kvklau0

Good luck.  Tell us how it works. 

5 hours ago, SSinister06 said:

Just this year I started to occasionally hear a "clicking" noise from the tower (port side) in the vicinity of the lower board rack mount.  But, it's a "clicking" noise, not a squeak noise like described in that service advisory.  It is very occasion also--not continuous or regular.  I wonder if this service advisory is relevant to my clicking noises???

Edited by Cory

Cory, that was the same symptom I was experiencing. My tower didn’t squeak at all but was making a clicking noise when I’d hit waves. This fix resolved my issue.

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, DockRocketeer said:

????Have not seen that option

It is allegedly for 2019 models. I didn't see it when building our VTX, but it may not be offered on all models. We also didn't go through every single option drop down.

21 hours ago, P6Expert said:

The following link to my box.com site includes the .JPG of the Service Advisory to reduce G4 tower squeaks.  The SA does note using "red threadlocker," but have read on this site that others recommend using blue tread locker as the red may be overkill.

https://app.box.com/s/bxv7hrf1ezfyobggqeprms0r9kvklau0

Good luck.  Tell us how it works. 

I was able to download it.  Thanks.  My sound is also more of a clicking.  

28 minutes ago, chrisnorem said:

I was able to download it.  Thanks.  My sound is also more of a clicking.  

When I am on my boat, I always thought of the noise as squeaking.  I will try to listen more closely next time to determine if I hear clicking as well.  Hopefully, the Service Advisory will help with both clicking and squeaking.  I will apply the SA after my next boating excursion and report back.

Mine has been making a popping/clicking noise only on the port side as well when in wavy conditions. My previous 2017 didn't make any noise. On my 2018 I have finally found where the noise is coming from. I can push on the tower where it rotates when it is folded and raised, so I pulled the cover off to see what was going on since something seemed loose. In my picture below you can see a large nut that has been split on the side as a safety feature to keep it from backing off. I believe the nut was not tightened enough before it was split, because I can push on that circle area and the hole tower moves in and out making the popping noise and it does not do this on the starboard side. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow and will give an update.

42580511944_c3419a08bc_k.jpgUntitled by William Bru

Edited by wbama387
11 hours ago, wbama387 said:

Mine has been making a popping/clicking noise only on the port side as well when in wavy conditions. My previous 2017 didn't make any noise. On my 2018 I have finally found where the noise is coming from. I can push on the tower where it rotates when it is folded and raised, so I pulled the cover off to see what was going on since something seemed loose. In my picture below you can see a large nut that has been split on the side as a safety feature to keep it from backing off. I believe the nut was not tightened enough before it was split, because I can push on that circle area and the hole tower moves in and out making the popping noise and it does not do this on the starboard side. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow and will give an update.

42580511944_c3419a08bc_k.jpgUntitled by William Bru

Update, heard from a reliable source 2019 towers won’t rattle or squeak. 😁 time for an upgrade 😈😈

• Like 1
14 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Update, heard from a reliable source 2019 towers won’t rattle or squeak. 😁 time for an upgrade 😈😈

Lol..........if only the speakers on the GX were up top.

Et al.,

I have started a new topic entitled:

"G4 Tower: Squeaking or Clicking?"

Those wanting to discuss the sounds your G4 tower makes are welcome to add to this tread.

LSV = Higher-End Traditional Bow

VLX = Base-Line Traditional Bow

MXZ = Higher-End Fork Bow

MLX = Base-Line Fork Bow

M2XX = Baller status

I know I left out the VTX, but I'm assuming that will fall in line with the LSV lineup at some point, so that it will be 20,22,23,25LSV

Edited by boardjnky4
On 7/12/2018 at 12:34 PM, boardjnky4 said:

LSV = Higher-End Traditional Bow

VLX = Base-Line Traditional Bow

MXZ = Higher-End Fork Bow

MLX = Base-Line Fork Bow

M2XX = Baller status

I know I left out the VTX, but I'm assuming that will fall in line with the LSV lineup at some point, so that it will be 20,22,23,25LSV

Yeah, I know what they are, but what do the actual letters mean?  History lesson:

The first VLX was the Sunsetter VLX.  It was a Sunsetter LX (meaning luxury, which implied open bow as borrowed from the Response and Echelon) with the engine spun round in a V-drive config.

V-Luxury.

Escape LSV came on the scene in what, 2000ish?  That became the Sunscape series.  LSV stood for Luxury Sport V, which interestingly enough is on a decal on the back of our 2001 Sunsetter VLX.

After that it starts to get all weird.  You had the XTi.  Then you got the VTX.  Then the MXZ (My X-Ztar as a nod to the innovator of the picklefork), and recently the MLX.  And let's not forget the hermaphrodite 247 RX which was Malibu's answer to a question nobody asked.  :)  And what did FXi stand for?

I'm saying it used to sortof make sense.  Now it's just all screwy.

SC 2018-07-12 at 1.01.03 PM.png

Edited by UWSkier