Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kids on Boat Best Practices

ahopkins22LSV

Make sure jackets are on and fastened. We check them but both of ours helps each other. When they sleep we use a fender and a towel and they will crash about anywhere. My little girl brings a babydoll or 2. Last year we took kites. This year they got a hype elite Murray jr and ready to rip

They are 4 and 6 

For infants, I like nylon jackets over neoprene, as they stay cooler, and fit better at that age.  The neoprene ones will tend to give little ones a rash at the neck-line. 

We also keep two jackets in the boat for each kid - one dry and one wet, as ours will inevitably decide to get out of their swim gear later in the day, so nice to have a dry jacket.  

A Johnny jump up hanging from the tower is also a good one for the kids and lets them move around versus having to constantly push them in a swing.

Lastly, we always brought a couple large white bed sheets with for extra shade when anchored/hanging out.  Buy a pack of these bimini clips and you can hang the sheet from the bimini or windshield frame Bimini Clips

• Like 1
10 hours ago, braindamage said:

I forgot one. Besides safety and fun (see previous post) there’s a third: preparation 

i found when my kids were little that frequency and duration of boat trips were inversely proportional to the time my wife and I had to spend preparing for the outing. Here is the solution:

pack a specific dedicated kid bag for the boat. That way, when it’s time to boat there is only 1 item on the list: grab kid bag. Even better, leave it on the boat! After returning as part of the boat put away process you re-pack the kid bag with whatever was used that day. When we did this our boating was much more relaxing and we didn’t have to return early for missed items.

include: wipes, regular and swim diapers, multiple changes of clothes, sunscreen, bottles, formula (if used), paper towels, puke rags, snacks, toys, blankets, towels, hats, pacifiers, etc.

We pretty much did the same for when we would weekend travel, which we did a lot because we didn’t live close to either family. Packing was a 30 min deal, including car load up.

A spare life jacket is good too, once they go swimming, they get cold quick and you can get them dressed in warm clothes with a fresh dry lifejacket.

ahopkins22LSV

Second life jacket is a great idea. Well worth the cost to keep them happy. 

Planning is another thing we learned the hard way lol. We have a bag packed at all times now ready to go so that should remain the same for the boat. 

Love the bimini clip idea plus those will just be nice to dry out towels if needed. 

Im taking not of everything people are saying as I’m sure sooner or later it will come in handy!

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

If the infant is still on bottles you can lay one between the exhaust riser and the valve cover to warm it up.  If mom is pumping need a battery operated breast pump. 

For clipping towels for extra shade or to dry we like the Bocaclips.  Something like this, https://www.amazon.com/Beach-Towel-Clips-Tropical-Fish/dp/B004O8D7N6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1522933147&sr=8-13&keywords=boca+clips+for+beach+towels They work on the tower, windshield, wakeboards in racks.

Tie a rope to the front of the swing  and you can pull it from the sundeck or swim platform.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Our 1 year old loves the bath and pool but I'm a little nervous about her getting sick from lake water. Are you guys letting babies swim in the lake? How clean is your water? 

8 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

Our 1 year old loves the bath and pool but I'm a little nervous about her getting sick from lake water. Are you guys letting babies swim in the lake? How clean is your water? 

More chance of getting sick in the pool especially a public pool in my opinion. Our lake is super clean. Never been sick from lake in 30+ years....showing my age now.... haha

A newboard is too young for some of these.

Vest on before getting in the water, be it the boat or on a dock.
Backs and bottoms at against the seats while boat is in motion, loose a rotation is can't comply.
sunscreen is applied while getting boat prepped for going in the lake.
No ropes in the boat, unless winding them up for the day.  Ropes stay on transom/rear deck.
No alcohol on the boat easier to say that there is nothing plus doesn't send a good message.  Have a beer after off the lake and such.
For little kids adjust your time on the water.  Have a cabin/houseboat or equivalent then longer until they are older. 
Baby bag has it's own trash.
Always made the "cave" by putting towels on the walk through window and on the floor for the little ones to sleep.
Enjoy the boat we all want to keep them clean but it is a boat...

15 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

Rivers I'd probably be a bit more concerned about but lakes out west nah, never worried about it.

ahopkins22LSV
On 4/5/2018 at 9:10 AM, blk93jeepzj said:

If the infant is still on bottles you can lay one between the exhaust riser and the valve cover to warm it up.  If mom is pumping need a battery operated breast pump. 

For clipping towels for extra shade or to dry we like the Bocaclips.  Something like this, https://www.amazon.com/Beach-Towel-Clips-Tropical-Fish/dp/B004O8D7N6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1522933147&sr=8-13&keywords=boca+clips+for+beach+towels They work on the tower, windshield, wakeboards in racks.

Tie a rope to the front of the swing  and you can pull it from the sundeck or swim platform.

Did you use plastic bottles? They don’t melt?

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Did you use plastic bottles? They don’t melt?

Yes we used the plastic bottles.  

That thought crossed my mind as well, but plastic can take a lot of heat and you can keep your hands on the risers and not get burned.  Went for it and it works really well.  

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
19 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Yes we used the plastic bottles.  

That thought crossed my mind as well, but plastic can take a lot of heat and you can keep your hands on the risers and not get burned.  Went for it and it works really well.  

Sweet. Last thing I want is more bottles to clean and keep track of :lol: 

Lots of great ideas.  One thing that we used a lot after age 3 or so was the bow cover.  I would put that on and they'd love to crawl around up under there underneath it, hang out, take a nap, etc.  Obviously not on hot days, but there are lots of "not hot" days.  This was mostly on cruises and stuff tho, not while towing.  If you don't have one, think about making one that attaches on the rub rail with snaps up to the windshield.

Also, again once they get a little older, I think it's worth instilling some fear into them about all of the things that can go wrong.  I've seen so many kids get on my boat that think "woo-hoo, party!!" and are oblivious to the rope, waves, sharp things on the boat (windshield) that are bobbing with the waves, trying to grab the dock, etc.

And flippers.  Kids love flippers.

2011 Katie flying.jpg

• Like 2
On 4/3/2018 at 2:22 PM, minnmarker said:

Great advice for a soon to be grandpa!

Me too!   We are expecting a little guy in a few weeks.   Dad and mom (my daughter) want to make the boat a special place for him.  We picked up an infant life jacket at the boat show in January, but have to say we are all a little leery of getting him on the boat too early, but I really have no clue when it will be ok (dont want an injury from taking a hard bounce).   Evening slow cruises might be ok, and I bet the motor sounds are a great lullaby. 

I like the ideas of a swing or a johhny jump up hung from the tower... and definitely the two life jackets. 

Cant wait for this little guy to be old enough to get into water sports.