Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tonneau Recommendation

Kblagg

3 hours ago, Socalbu said:

I was going to but it from this site, but they had a two week lead time. Cant remember what they were offering, but at the time it was better than anyone else.

http://www.truckalterations.com/html/pricegtee.html

I ended up just going local for $1550 installed with the carpet. Spent more than I wanted but was heading up skiing and needed the cover.

I bought a cover from them. You definitely have to call for their best pricing, but it was solid. I shopped around a bit and no one could touch them. 

8 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I bought a cover from them. You definitely have to call for their best pricing, but it was solid. I shopped around a bit and no one could touch them. 

Just called them....wow, their price was SUBSTANTIALLY lower than the other places.

12 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I just ordered from them.  You helped save me another $160 over the best "discounted" price that I found online.

Not only was I going to save on the price they shipped from out of state so it would have saved me another 8% in sales tax.

Oh well... at least you saved some coin!

3 hours ago, Kblagg said:

I just ordered from them.  You helped save me another $160 over the best "discounted" price that I found online.

You saved me a lot on the gator step group buy so :cheers:

12 hours ago, Socalbu said:

How did it come out? I wish they had capped the rails the cover sets on, they left them pretty sharp. I'm going to grind the corners down.

Pretty good.  I wish I would have known about that place sooner.  Could have gotten it in before my road trip.  I went with the X4.  I like the matte finish of the X4 over the glossy X2.  The cheapest I could find online was $930 shipped and that place had it for $765 shipped.

Watched a video on Youtube and had it installed in about 30 min.

20180406_130146.jpg

20180406_130205.jpg

20180406_130209.jpg

• Like 2

I did the leer 700 for my Denali.  My truck is triple layer frost white and I had to get the paint mixture by a local auto body that did computer analysis of the mixture as the paint code that gmc gives looked wrong (I guess there are 3 different mixtures for the same code which is  crazy I know).  They had to paint the under layer one color and then a final top coat with a slightly different mix.  While plexiglass refracts light a little different than metal it came out great and offers tons of protection  easy to open and close with a hydrollic mechanism and locks with my trucks’s key-fob.   To remove takes two people but I’m fine with that.  It was $1500.

FE8DAB3D-3431-4557-828A-E19415D95B02.jpeg

F53F8988-A5C5-4716-9B2D-6AC954F72B9D.jpeg

Edited by RCorsa

I have a tri-fold Lear top for my 17 eco-boost 6.5 bed. I paid 900 and I've had it on 3 different trucks. I bought it early 2015 and it still looks as good today as the day I bought it. It's extremely durable and locks with your tailgate. The best thing about it is if you need to remove it. It only takes 5 minutes and you don't need any help to put it on or take it off. I wax it to keep it good looking.

I had an Undercover on my last truck that I absolutely loved.  Was 10 years old when I sold the truck and still looked great.  I could pull the whole cover in a couple minutes by myself, and it was fine to walk on (which I did just about every time the boat went in/out).  The only thing that ever marked up the matte finish was when a turkey decided to hop up there and tried to beat the crap out of its reflection in my back window for a half hour - left some scratches that most didn't notice.

• 4 years later...

After returning the last folding cover  that replaced my roll n lock after one of my kids hyper extended it during an attempt to close it, I ordered a Diamondback HD. I think this is going to be the one. 

B3E844FA-74D5-4471-8DA1-332BB5B42F4E.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

After returning the last folding cover  that replaced my roll n lock after one of my kids hyper extended it during an attempt to close it, I ordered a Diamondback HD. I think this is going to be the one. 

Where did you get that?  I got my Retrax cover from https://realtruck.com/.  There is a guy that posts on a couple of the Ford forums that offers discounts to forum members.  They are pretty good discounts.  I got both my Retrax and my Rock Tamers from them with discounts for both items.  I actually got a discount and a rebate on the Retrax.

1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

Those things are awesome!  Strong as ever, too.  Post pics when you have it installed. 

25 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

Where did you get that?  I got my Retrax cover from https://realtruck.com/.  There is a guy that posts on a couple of the Ford forums that offers discounts to forum members.  They are pretty good discounts.  I got both my Retrax and my Rock Tamers from them with discounts for both items.  I actually got a discount and a rebate on the Retrax.

Direct from Diamondback Covers

2 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Yup, you definitely will not ever damage it.  Love mine. 

You might wish that your running boards came back further though.  Loading from the front is tough on the ground.

Only "issue" that I have had with it in the 4 years it has been on the truck is that in the winter it can be a real pain to get the tailgate open sometimes.  If you get a little meltwater that refreezes, the seals are so big that it can be a real chore to open the tailgate, and you have to unlock the top and open that to break the seal.

IMAG0266.thumb.jpg.f0f0a7fbc049f6e61e59ab13c18b4034.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

Personally not a fan of the above rail mounted tonneaus, Bulky and cleats everywhere 

it may be HD and you can strap-on anything to those cleats , but if you do the black is gonna scratch/rub etc. 

I’m on my 3rd bakflip in last 3 trucks, and haven’t found a better flush mount option.

1ED24C48-4439-4289-BAC6-32883778914C.jpeg

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 3

The black is not paint, it is something close to rhino liner.  I have had pallets forked onto mine and have not scratched it. 

Bakflip look nice but my first one looked like a golfball after a minor hailstorm.  After 7 or 8 months I got them to replace it once they stopped making them aluminum skinned.  The replacement was an F1 and the panels all delaminated   

The big difference is the diamondback is not meant to be decorative. It is meant to actually secure the bed and allow you to haul a lot of weight on top of it.

There is a big difference in quality in the low profile versions. I currently have an OEM ford one and it is garbage, leaks, seals are gone and is dented.  The backflip is one of the best, my dad has one right now and comparing the two side by side to mine there is a big difference in quality.  The diamond backs are pretty sweet looking but I don't like the idea of not being able to fold it up out of the way. 

25 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The black is not paint, it is something close to rhino liner.  I have had pallets forked onto mine and have not scratched it. 

Bakflip look nice but my first one looked like a golfball after a minor hailstorm.  After 7 or 8 months I got them to replace it once they stopped making them aluminum skinned.  The replacement was an F1 and the panels all delaminated   

The big difference is the diamondback is not meant to be decorative. It is meant to actually secure the bed and allow you to haul a lot of weight on top of it.

Isn’t that what the bed of the truck is for??

what could you possibly need to load on top of the cover that wouldn’t fit in the bed? Or Half the bed the way it folds up.

it takes less than 2 min to remove the bakflip and I can have a load of gravel or dirt dropped in the bed with minimal effort,

if I was 70 and lived in my travel trailer full time maybe that would be something to consider, but functionally I like easy access to the bed and quick fold and secure is more of a priority 

10 hours ago, Stevo said:

Personally not a fan of the above rail mounted tonneaus, Bulky and cleats everywhere 

it may be HD and you can strap-on anything to those cleats , but if you do the black is gonna scratch/rub etc. 

I’m on my 3rd bakflip in last 3 trucks, and haven’t found a better flush mount option.

1ED24C48-4439-4289-BAC6-32883778914C.jpeg

I almost bought this for my current truck.  I ended up with an undercover ultra-flex as recommended by @Pnwrider.  It's performed well for me for the last couple of years.  I'm likely going backflip on my super duty if it ever gets built.

7 hours ago, Stevo said:

Isn’t that what the bed of the truck is for??

what could you possibly need to load on top of the cover that wouldn’t fit in the bed? Or Half the bed the way it folds up.

it takes less than 2 min to remove the bakflip and I can have a load of gravel or dirt dropped in the bed with minimal effort,

if I was 70 and lived in my travel trailer full time maybe that would be something to consider, but functionally I like easy access to the bed and quick fold and secure is more of a priority 

All depends on what I was hauling.  In one case the bed under the cover was full of one large piece of exercise equipment and the pallet with the larger one was on top the bed, and they could not be stacked.  I can toss an appliance up there and securely strap it down if I don't feel like removing the cover.  We strap Kayaks to the top of the tonneau too.  The security is important because the truck sits outside with a couple thousand dollars worth of ski equipment in the bed and with other options that isn't a great idea since you can just pop a Bakflip open by grabbing it in the middle and pulling up hard.

The Bak is definitely quicker to remove.  The diamond back doors come off in a minute but you do need to remove 4 clamps to remove the center section for things like hauling gravel.  I traced around the center section onto the bed rails, which makes it simple to put back exactly where it belongs.  Different stuff for different people for different reasons.  Been there did that with the BakFlip, and it didn't meet my needs.