Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Using Vinegar to clean cooling system

hawaiianstyln

Mine Is dry stored and I believe the previous owner dry stored it as well.  I don't know if he sucked in antifreeze or not, but I know I did not either.  I just dropped all the water out of the proper winterizing locations.  This may be my problem, I should be keeping fluids in the lines especially if I have a heated garage why bother with winterizing.

Not too concerned (knocking on wood), but the boat has ran magnificent since I bought her last summer.  The bilge area and all bolts exposed or engine connections do not even have a rusty layer to any/all the parts.  For a 10 year old boat, it appears in great shape.  I still feel like hard water had to have been a factor at some point.  The boat was located in PA from the previous previous original owner. 

Owning and running boats in Salt water for many years, I know I would be able to spot brakish/salt ran boats and there are no signs in the engine compartment/trailer that I have identified (it's very easy to find hints).  So I'm ruling that out.  When I ran my boat in Salt for 5 years, Paradise Watersport in AZ couldn't even tell as my boat was cleaner and more corrosion free than their fresh water boats they worked on (as they said).  Still, this crud has me confused and maybe I won't ever know.

59 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

It seems like most threads I see with a bad impeller the guy first sees Ok temps at idle, then the excess heat from getting up to speed cannot be carried away and it overheats at speed.   

Your boat will stay cool at speed just because of the scoop action of the intake?  I don't think most boats are like that, or maybe most of  us with surfing barges aren't skimming along at 32 MPH

My V drive was the same way as well as two other ski boats I have been on. Most people don't notice the temp till they get the warning at low speed or idle. Like I said I am not saying everyone should be willing to try it but all but one I.B. I have been on that lost the impeller I have been able to take it up to speed around 30 mph and the temp comes down to running temp and holds. It starts to rise as soon as you go off planing speed. The only one that did not had  the heat exchanger plugged. 

• Like 1