Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Great Compromise of 2018... Ski and surf review added!

ahopkins22LSV

4 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That's quitter talk ;)  Looks plenty skiable in those pictures of the surf wave.

I heard Hop gave up skiing after experiencing the surf wave...

;)

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
55 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That's quitter talk ;)  Looks plenty skiable in those pictures of the surf wave.

There were 3 other boats out surfing and probably 25 pontoons out. Feel free to come over any time to try to ski in the afternoon. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
6 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

There were 3 other boats out surfing and probably 25 pontoons out. Feel free to come over any time to try to ski in the afternoon. 

Yep...that’s my world. Early AM is the only time!

ahopkins22LSV
51 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Yep...that’s my world. Early AM is the only time!

Spring and late fall it’s possible but between Memorial Day and Labor Day it’s not even close to possible. That’s ok though early am is perfect everyday!

6 minutes ago, ID AX said:

hop, how is that dark vinyl in the sun and heat?  We are looking at doing mainly Sepia interior and I'm nervous about it.  Just sooooo tired of white vinyl.

I have a dark interior and spent a week in Idaho this summer. Does it get hot? Yup. But really no different from any vinyl in 90 degree heat. 

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, ID AX said:

hop, how is that dark vinyl in the sun and heat?  We are looking at doing mainly Sepia interior and I'm nervous about it.  Just sooooo tired of white vinyl.

We spent all day last Saturday out. It was perfectly fine. It seemed less hot than the old vinyl. Even when just floating it warmed up, but I wouldn’t say it was hot. It was mid 80’s and partly cloudy last Saturday. Probably going to be out all day tomorrow too. Will report back again. 

12 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Spring and late fall it’s possible but between Memorial Day and Labor Day it’s not even close to possible. That’s ok though early am is perfect everyday!

Afternoon only works here during Packer games.😁

• Like 1
13 hours ago, ID AX said:

I was also tired of white vinyl and I just went with an all graphite interior and it isn't much worse than white.  All vinyl gets too hot to sit on when you are at 90 plus.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

@Fman I’m quite impressed and very happy. Still weird behind pulled up by a “wake” boat but once I’m carving dollar signs (lame slalom talk there :lol: ) I could care less!

Plus the boat looks damn good from the end of rope!

• Like 2

Looking good behind the boat! I have a 2008 VTX (no center pylon unfortunately). I open water ski at 15 off on the back pylon. I have noticed the wake looks kind of intimidating at first (kind of tall). Every once in a while I hit it and it feels hard but there are times I cruise right over it without noticing. It seems over all like he harder I attack the wake the smoother it gets (like you mention with how the wake feels soft).

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, slvrbulit said:

wow,  that is some great skiing.  Did the soft pull up bother you? 

Thank you!

Did it bother me? No. Is it how I prefer to start? Also no. I prefer a much quicker start but as long as you stay in a tuck and are a bit more patient it’s perfectly fine. 

Pull through the wake and the wake would seem much nicer ;)  

That wake is pretty impressive from a V Drive.  Interested how much you would get into the tower in a slalom course at 28' off and deeper as it doesn't seem like you're pulling very wide and still getting close.