Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Great Compromise of 2018... Ski and surf review added!

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

I think the rope would be right at the tower for 32 in the course. This isn’t s course boat though that’s for sure. At least I wouldn’t. Not sure much as a skier, but as the driver. It tracks quite well from the center pylon but the boat still drifts a lot. You’d be all over the place trying to keep it in the course. 

And it looks like most of my edge changes were initiated just off the second wake into the white wash to me... :blush: If you pull any longer at 32 you will have big time slack in your turn. I was feeling it out though so not all were that good. And I’ve barely skied this summer. This was the first weekend all summer I skied Saturday and Sunday morning. I think I skied a grand total of 7 times in June and July :cry:

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

Just watched again on my computer this time as I'm back home from vacay.  32 off is a massive improvement over 28 for sure!  32 looks a bit like 28 on the '01.  For reference, this is with 4 adults aboard.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/C5cSDZLXo9zkACDU7

34 MPH, 28 off.

Still, not bad if you like to free ski at 32.  Better than all of the other "crossovers" I've seen companies try to sell with videos including 6.4 seconds of someone slalom skiing!  :)

ahopkins22LSV
14 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Just watched again on my computer this time as I'm back home from vacay.  32 off is a massive improvement over 28 for sure!  32 looks a bit like 28 on the '01.  For reference, this is with 4 adults aboard.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/C5cSDZLXo9zkACDU7

34 MPH, 28 off.

Still, not bad if you like to free ski at 32.  Better than all of the other "crossovers" I've seen companies try to sell with videos including 6.4 seconds of someone slalom skiing!  :)

Yeah it’s not as good as the earlier gen that is for sure but I free ski at 28 or 32 normally anyway so no big deal to me!

I was talking with another member on here that we think these are the first videos posted of people skiing behind the 2016+ hull so hopefully they will at least help some people with making a decision. We tried to give a decent spectrum of analysis too. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Yeah it’s not as good as the earlier gen that is for sure but I free ski at 28 or 32 normally anyway so no big deal to me!

I was talking with another member on here that we think these are the first videos posted of people skiing behind the 2016+ hull so hopefully they will at least help some people with making a decision. We tried to give a decent spectrum of analysis too. 

Yeah, that's awesome work BTW.  Wish more folks would take the time to review their rigs.  With how popular the VTX is, I can't believe yours are the first videos I've seen of the current design.  Thanks for doing that!

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Also a quick update on the interior. It’s awesome!! The cool touch really does worked. Last Sunday we skied the boat in the morning then I left it at my friends dock from 8:30am to 1:30pm. When we went back out the Black was warm but not hot by any means. The sun baked it all morning. It was mid 80’s when we went back out. Not down south heat but I’d say it is doing very good. 

• Like 3

Have you tried to experiment with leaving the wedge in the lift mode for skiing? I know the screen will beep at you but I thought I had read that it was still safe at higher speeds in lift mode. Curious to see if that helps or just makes a big mess of the wake.  

ahopkins22LSV
17 minutes ago, Brett B said:

Have you tried to experiment with leaving the wedge in the lift mode for skiing? I know the screen will beep at you but I thought I had read that it was still safe at higher speeds in lift mode. Curious to see if that helps or just makes a big mess of the wake.  

I haven’t yet. Honest not sure I will. The lift position is much more aggressive on PWIII so I’m not sure I want to risk it. We shall see though. 

20 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Next chance I get I will create a video skiing behind my 2016 VTX at both 28' and 32' off at 34mph from the center pylon.  I have mentioned this before, 28' off is good but 32' is amazing.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, thealy said:

Next chance I get I will create a video skiing behind my 2016 VTX at both 28' and 32' off at 34mph from the center pylon.  I have mentioned this before, 28' off is good but 32' is amazing.

Should be the same as @ahopkinsVTX, right?

20 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Not sure what it'd do to your surf wake, but curious if Tommys has a 537 floating around you could try.  Smaller diameter prop might be a bit more doggy on the start but bet the slalom wakes are a bit nicer.

2 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Not sure what it'd do to your surf wake, but curious if Tommys has a 537 floating around you could try.  Smaller diameter prop might be a bit more doggy on the start but bet the slalom wakes are a bit nicer.

@ahopkinsVTX I have a 537 sitting in the garage if you want to try it.

ahopkins22LSV
50 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Should be the same as @ahopkinsVTX, right?

Should be. We just have different power trains and props. 

46 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

43 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

@ahopkinsVTX I have a 537 sitting in the garage if you want to try it.

Maybe! Will let you know. 

I've had a 537 on my VTX (previous generation).  It's great for skiing, but doesn't have enough to get up to speed when surfing with 2 in the boat and 550 PNP's in the back.  I went from the 537 to the 1939 to the 1235.  I can still ski easily with the 1235 and surfing is fantastic.  

Edit: https://www.wakemakers.com/malibu-wakeboard-boat-propellers

Also, I'm at about 1000' elevation.

Edited by Sixer

Video's of skiing look better than I thought...but no way would i chase buoys behind a boat that threw a bump like that.  Its amazing how much more tolerable a larger wake is when open water skiing.  What does -22' look like :Tease3:?  

Why wouldn't you hit the course with that boat?  Obviously the driver would need some talent but that bump doesn't look bad.  Looks much better than the late 90s ProStars that they sent out to tournaments back in the day ;)

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, Joeprunc said:

Video's of skiing look better than I thought...but no way would i chase buoys behind a boat that threw a bump like that.  Its amazing how much more tolerable a larger wake is when open water skiing.  What does -22' look like :Tease3:?  

I agree. For one a -28 opener is beyond my ability lol! I haven't tried -22. I'll see if I get out with it this weekend and give it a shot. I think it is going to be quite the bump though.

Just now, kstateskier1 said:

Why wouldn't you hit the course with that boat?  Obviously the driver would need some talent but that bump doesn't look bad.  Looks much better than the late 90s ProStars that they sent out to tournaments back in the day ;)

So the boat drives pretty good pulling a skier from the center pylon but it still drifts a ton. I think even a very good driver would all over the place. Maybe not though! I honestly probably won't try it as I typically ski my friends 2011 Response, especially if we get to ski the course.

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I agree. For one a -28 opener is beyond my ability lol! I haven't tried -22. I'll see if I get out with it this weekend and give it a shot. I think it is going to be quite the bump though.

So the boat drives pretty good pulling a skier from the center pylon but it still drifts a ton. I think even a very good driver would all over the place. Maybe not though! I honestly probably won't try it as I typically ski my friends 2011 Response, especially if we get to ski the course.

Might be better than you think.  Our '01 doesn't have the Gorilla fins or a center pylon and we'd use it in the course without running over boat guides, even with my big a** back there pulling it around.  Granted, I'm not a 35 off skier but at 22, it was OK in the course.  Think it depends a lot on rudder torque actually.

I agree with UWSkier, I think it could be pulled off as well.  People these days are too spoiled by wakes.  Everyone needs the latest, greatest slalom tug to run the course.  That wake looks better than our early 00s Centurion promo boats, I can tell you that.  Not sure if that should be a benchmark though.

Big ask here, but any chance you could post a video of 30 and 32 mph on 15/22 off?  My wife skis at those speeds.  I'm fine with what you've shown at 28/32 34 mph but the kids are bugging me to get a wakesurf boat.  OMDB...  LOL

Edited by Eagleboy99
kant spul worth shiz
ahopkins22LSV
13 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Big ask here, but any chance you could post a video of 30 and 32 mph on 15/22 off?  My wife skis at those speeds.  I'm fine with what you've shown at 28/32 34 mph but the kids are bugging me to get a wakesurf boat.  OMDB...  LOL

I think I posted the 32mph 15 off video, but here it is again. We found it better of the rear pylon because you are further behind the rooster tail/bump. My friends wife was quite impressed with the wake and it didn’t hold her back at all. She did have to be a bit more soft in the knees for wake crossing but said she got a better leg workout!

I’ll try out 32 22 off. I know that a popular line length so I’ll try to get video the next time we are out at that setup. Unfortunately, it won’t be his weekend.