Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast pump issues on '06 LSV

What brand pump seems to be the offender? I had heard malibu has had some trouble with a particular manufacturer of pumps, but I have forgotten now what the brand was. It wasn't Tsunami or a name I recognized.

Just curious,

Scott

Just finished fixing the second pump to stop working on my 06' V-ride. Since the first was just stuck and really took nothing to unstick it, I decided not to take the boat apart again and fix it while in place. Glad I decided to do it because it took all of 5 minutes. I took the screw off that holds the cap on, twisted the cap off, and turned the impeller by hand and put it back together. Less than 1 gallon of water drained out before I could get the cap back on and I used the wet vack to get up what did not drain out the back of the boat, and I am fixed. The first time I took the tank and hoses off and out of the boat, only wish I knew then what I know now. Most of the time these pumps are not bad but just frozen up. Hope this helps others and if you have any questions give me a shout.

My boat has Shurflo Pirhana pumps for the MLS. I have had two go out - the first one the dealer replaced. My good friend has an identical 2004 VLX bought from the same dealer. He has a different brand of pump on his MLS system (they are not Piranha). I do not know how to tell if my boat is a Tennessee or Merced boat, but I would venture that the two plants do indeed use different MLS pumps.

• 2 weeks later...
My boat has Shurflo Pirhana pumps for the MLS. I have had two go out - the first one the dealer replaced. My good friend has an identical 2004 VLX bought from the same dealer. He has a different brand of pump on his MLS system (they are not Piranha). I do not know how to tell if my boat is a Tennessee or Merced boat, but I would venture that the two plants do indeed use different MLS pumps.

Have an 06 23LSV. Have had the right rear drain go down 2 times. First time dealer told me was debris from stuck in the pump impeller. 2nd time was so stuck that had to replace under warrenty. Same story, debris....I asked where from and dealer indicated from the ballast tank when they drill the holes. Thot that over time they would "float" out..... Mine is a California boat. Dealer seemed to be aware that pumps are a bit of a problem. Will continue to hold my breath. Also lost the sensor for the center ballast which ended up being a special order. But LOVE MY BU!

These are the same pumps as I have in my 06' v-ride

I have the Shurflo Piranha 800gph as well on my vride. First one went out last week at 135 hrs. Starboard intake. I took it off / apart to see what was going on -- the cartridge (interior motor housing) had cracked. not sure how - we haven't had a freeze or anything.

anyway, took it out and took to the dealer - they gave me a new one and i put it in and we are back in action. i like the idea of having an extra as was mentioned above.

the dealer told me a lot of times it is just due to people leaving the pumps on for too long when there is no water rushing through...