Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 A24 Ballast Set Ups and Results

alpensurf23

2 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

pw2 at 4 seems aggressive but maybe the speed is helping.

Surf - pw2 at 2 or 3, 10.8 - 11.2 / full pnp ballest / and 37 x 50lbs a of lead 

Wake - pw2 at 3 22.5mpg full pnp / and 37x50lbs of lead

What size PNP bags do you have?

"1100" but i think they are more like 925s they do not look nearly as big as the ronix 1100 we use sometimes. They are the L shaped bags though

Last night my brother and I were able to able to surf ropeless, but it is still not the sweet spot.  We had the ballast full with pnp (2x750's), 2 adults and 2 kids in the boat, 100lbs of lead under the observer's seat, 11.1 mph and PW2 at 5.  We are both heavier riders 240-250 and were able to drop back 3-4' feet and still get enough push to come back to the pocket.  We tried reducing the wedge to 3 and 4 while adjusting the speed up and down, but could not get the same push.  Next up is to try out some demo boards next weekend.  Right now we are just riding an old CWB Ride.  

24 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

weird ... have you tried full pnp wedge at 3 ? 

Yes, we went out again last night and tried to move around the speed and wedge and ended up at 11.1 and PW at 5.  I did talk to my dealership this morning about something else and he suggested I empty the bow bag and see how that changes the wave.  

is Anyone else having a hard time with the port side wakeboard wake being washed out? 2 adults and 2 kids in the boat. I don’t have any lead yet but it seems as if the wake should be rideable without lead and it’s just not. For reference full pnp pw2 at 2 21.6 mph rope at 72.5. 

On 5/14/2018 at 5:40 AM, agarabaghi said:

I’ve seen tony’s wake on iG and it looks great, do u guys have a bunch on lead under the spotter? I’m having a hard time getting the port side wakeboard wake to clean up. Too slow maybe? Riding 21.5-7 pw2 at 2. 

which one? the blue and yellow or black? 

in the black boat there is 30 bags of leads plus stock ballast, and yes maybe an extra 5 on the port side to clean it up. 

• Like 1

im not 100% sure on Tonys setup, i know there is a lot of lead. but yea if one side is washed out put more weight on that side. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2018 at 1:36 PM, Cboom12 said:

is Anyone else having a hard time with the port side wakeboard wake being washed out? 2 adults and 2 kids in the boat. I don’t have any lead yet but it seems as if the wake should be rideable without lead and it’s just not. For reference full pnp pw2 at 2 21.6 mph rope at 72.5. 

You get it cleaned up yet? I'm thinking of doing a demo soon so just wondering where i should place some lead to get a good idea.

50 minutes ago, GaryShandling said:

You get it cleaned up yet? I'm thinking of doing a demo soon so just wondering where i should place some lead to get a good idea.

I got 250 lbs of lead wake, 150 of which I put under the spotters seat. It seems to have helped but I’ve been injured so I haven’t got it 100% dialed yet. 

2 hours ago, GaryShandling said:

hmmm that's weird. Anyone else have that problem?

I’m thinking by ur response I was unclear. The lead fixed the washy wake on but I haven’t wakeboard in 6 weeks so I haven’t ridden since I got he lead. It also seems to have made the regular surf wave just as good as he goofy which seemed better prior. Also I could have fixed this problem by letting ballast out of the stbd side but what fun is that. 

On 7/11/2018 at 10:46 PM, Cboom12 said:

I’m thinking by ur response I was unclear. The lead fixed the washy wake on but I haven’t wakeboard in 6 weeks so I haven’t ridden since I got he lead. It also seems to have made the regular surf wave just as good as he goofy which seemed better prior. Also I could have fixed this problem by letting ballast out of the stbd side but what fun is that. 

@Cboom12Have you tried running with just hard tanks full and no bags?  Not a true comparison with your A24 to my LSV  but when we have loaded up with full bags and hard tanks and a bow bag for wakeboarding requires more than 21.5 to clean up on port side.  I need to be around 23ish.  I also would contest that wake is diminishing return for the extra weight.  Its not really that much better.  Our go to recipe is all hard tanks full and about 20% in my rear bags and wakeboard wake is nice for advanced riders. For beginner and intermediate riders we just go center tank full and use pw2 to adjust.

Edited by Fman
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 12:00 PM, agarabaghi said:

im not 100% sure on Tonys setup, i know there is a lot of lead. but yea if one side is washed out put more weight on that side. 

I take it you have been on a few a24's and just about every other boat in the market? how do you think the A24 wakeboard wake stacks up against everything else? both size and shape.

10 hours ago, GaryShandling said:

I take it you have been on a few a24's and just about every other boat in the market? how do you think the A24 wakeboard wake stacks up against everything else? both size and shape.

gotta say, if you are looking for a boat that performs wake / wave the a24 is awesome. You wont get the bling of a malibu or g23 but you can get a lot of the comfort features.

The boat is big, and has lots of basic storage (no in floor cooler) no trash can flap 

But you can get flip up seats and axis attempt at the sliding rear bench ( kinda sucks you have you inset the back rests etc....

The pw2 is an awesome addition to all the axis boats and really helps with this wake. 

The wake on the a24 is very good once you have it balanced. We do run about 200lbs on the spotter side (with only a driver) so it seems like its off by 50lbs (im 150) but i need to count the lead bags on each side make sure its even. The wake can be rampy or lippy depending on you wedge settings. 

We run factory ballast + 30 x 50lbs of lead and wedge at 2 or 3. Tony and Danny run at 3 Zooks runs at 2. 

The surf wave is amazing on the starboard side, and can be really good on the port side with some adjustment (once again the wedge helps a lot with that).

So like i said, if you dont need or want the maliview and are ok with a function over form kind of boat the A24 is a beast. 

On 5/14/2018 at 7:40 AM, agarabaghi said:

Do you ever trailer with that much lead?