Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ideas for step in back seat vinyl?

Infinitysurf

11 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

I would like to look into this option. Looking like my boat will get skins next week or week after and I am building the platform and securing it under the vinyl today, running out to buy a router shortly so I can have back seat ready for them to cover with new skin. I think this sounds like a great idea and I found someone that will make the GatorStep pad I need for the step.....I was wanting to add some strips to the gunnels for when people get onto boat from dock anyway, so can have them made all at same time. After getting the piece of HDPE that I planned for the top which is 12x14 (to overhang an inch on each side), I am thinking that 11x13 will probably be better. Love to chat with you and see what options they could offer on aluminum plate. Long as edges are not sharp (sure they could easily design it that way), think that would look great, GatorStep would stick well and still strong enough to suck down my cushion foam some, I could probably do something a little thinner actually maybe 1/4" since the thinner the better as long as it strong enough and wont bend once I suck it down with screws.

I'lll text the owner of Race City Steel tomorrow and make sure they have aluminum plate in 1/4" and/or 3/8" and I'll also ask if they can router the top edge.  Call, text, or PM me any time to discuss.  

Pictures below....So I did my afternoon project....obviously the NEW vinyl skin is not installed yet, but wanted to put it together so I could see what it would look like, etc. I will remove the top piece of HDPE and then they will remove old vinyl and install the new skin with foam backing OVER the HDPE blocks I installed in the cutout in the cushion foam.

So 1st I cut out the cushion foam the same size as my 2 block....then I drilled holes and secured them, countersinking the screws and doing it from both sides so it would be secure (I routered a round edge on the top piece so when vinyl presses down there is no sharp edge to catch on), then from under the seat, I drilled and installed 6 screws into the doubled up blocks to hold it securely into place so they can install the new skin in place and it will not move.

Then I drilled holes (this HDPE is PITA to drill cause you can only do 1/4" at a time since the hard plastic does not come out like wood shavings, but well worth the time). I used heavy duty deck screws guaranteed to not corrode or rust and they are painted to also help protect them. Then I installed the black top piece that will act as the step I also routered the top and bottom edges along outsides since it will press down on the vinyl and I dont want tears and it makes it look better since its exposed, obviously I do not have my GatorStep yet to install over it and I am going to look into the aluminum idea, this way I have a template for the screw holes since vinyl will be fully sandwiched on the end product, there will be no cutouts, the only place there will be any holes in the vinyl is where the 4 screws went in. Cost me $134 in materials from Interstate Plastics ($100 for materials and $34 for shipping), I ordered them the exact size I wanted and they were here within 4 days, so pretty sweet. All in all, took me about 4hrs this afternoon to complete and I know for sure this will make the vinyl last longer and should also look pretty good once I get the GatorStep piece installed.

Well crap....I resized the 4 pictures and it wont let me upload them, I know I have posted pictures in the past as an attachment, so that is weird! I dont have a URL to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Never had a problem getting Hydroturf or Gatorgrip to stick to HDPE. And I know TJ does similar projects with Gatorstep too.  Hard to imagine Seadek using an adhesive so inferior it can't stick too.

38045933381_ddb48d85dd_k.jpg

38045932921_3f3691aff0_k.jpg

I am going to try that first since I had already cut the HDPE and routered the edges. Boat vinyl has all been stripped out, so I should have finished product in next 2 weeks. Crazy to see boat today with all the guys ripped out, but its gonna look great. I am picking it up for the weekend to polish and wax all the gelcoat under the seats so its fresh and clean for the new install.

• 1 year later...

Anyone loaded pics yet?

I am having my seats replaced in the back for this reason. I own a 2012 VTX and we have lots of In and out. Back Middle and Corner seats are trashed and need to be recovered. I am thinking of making the middle seat a hybrid, so its ok to sit on. That said its over my tray, which is over my transmission. Any ideas would be very helpful.

• 1 year later...

I know this is from last year, but I would really love to see the finished back seat. I'm planning to do something almost identical as this back seat cushion rips too often. 

7 hours ago, dandallon said:

I know this is from last year, but I would really love to see the finished back seat. I'm planning to do something almost identical as this back seat cushion rips too often. 

Here are some pics of how I prepped the seat for the step on it since I wanted the step to be solid. Keep in mind that I was replacing the vinyl when you see how I cut thru the vinyl and into the foam. Essentially after I had inserted the HDPE blocks into the foam (10"x12")and prepped it for the 3/8" thick step over the vinyl  (I had everything pre-drilling), I then took it too get the new vinyl and they install the new skin as if my blocks were not there. Once I got the newly covered seat back I then used the pre-drilled holes to install the top step (I made the top step 12"x14" so it would overhang the blocks by 1" all the way around and just screwed right thru the new vinyl and down into the lower block. After that was secured I installed my new Aqua Marine decking. So I did all this in early 2018 and this has worked perfectly for me, zero tears in any seats. Anyone new on the boat, I do show them the step and ask them to use it going up/down since initially, several new people saw this "step".... and then intentionally stepped to the side of it since somehow that made sense, guess I should have asked Aqua Marine to engrave STEP HERE in the piece of decking, lol. The one thing I would change if I did it over is I would have rounded the 4 outside corners a bit more, no one has gotten hurt but even with the routered edges that corner could catch/hurt someones toe if they caught it wrong.

This is the 12x12 hole I cut in my seat foam, I then placed the HDPE blocks into the hole and secured them by running long screws from the bottom of the seat up into the blocks.

https://ibb.co/Zh65JSg

I designed the block height to be slightly lower than the total height so I could slightly recess the step down at the end. It didnt recess much, but it did help some. (make sure you router the top edges of those blocks since if someone steps on the vinyl NEXT to the step, you dont want the vinyl to get cut against a 90 degree cut edge from the downward pressure)

https://ibb.co/4grMKfn

This is my 14x14 top step, I routered the top and bottom edges and you can see the 4 screws (I used exterior deck screws and recessed them

https://ibb.co/TPwfjzQ

https://ibb.co/8X4DTnr

Final product after I installed the Aqua Marine Decking

https://ibb.co/v1pyJ36

Edited by Infinitysurf
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, dandallon said:

i did no piping and eliminated bolster 3 part foam and the two part foam fir rest with a one piece no/less give foam like gym equip almost

CD7A9FE0-FDD3-4E81-8EE9-662E493D157C.jpeg

8B281C6F-C8A6-4CF0-8204-A4A133F3BECB.jpeg

FD7E446B-9F8F-420D-B8B8-BDC02A3F6A73.jpeg