Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow Vehicle Recommendations (Help)

MustGoFast

17 hours ago, gregtay said:

I tow over mountains with both my Durango SRT and my wife’s Jeep SRT.. we tow our 23 LSV over curvy windy mountain passes and they tow great. I have towed with a newer 5.7 Tundra, Armada and a few other tow rigs and the SRT does an amazing job, a T22 would be no problem at all... even with mountains and curvy roads.

You guys must not be sports car fans :biggrin:

I like going fast around corners.

3 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Love sports cars.. have owned plenty... but they suck at towing 😳.  At least the sRT or any other hipo SUV is sportier than a Tahoe or truck.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, RyanB said:

My point is, that when you are used to having a nice car to drive most of the time, it is difficult to lower your standards to drive a lesser vehicle.

could not agree more

My advice if you go the route of a newer f150: get an extended warranty.  

My 8 yr 100k platinum ford esp was $1600.  I shopped around and bought from another dealer than sold me the truck.  I've used it already and will be using it more in the future...Im sure of it.

On 2/18/2018 at 11:01 AM, gregtay said:

I would never buy an extended warranty unless it was through the manufacture... in most cases those warrenties are a total rip off. One from the manufacturer (if you don’t pay massive mark up on it) can be very useful.

You don’t buy an SRT if good MPGs are anywhere on your list of important features when buying a car. I do almost all in town, very slow traffic commuting(seriously never see 40mph during my commute) and so I only get about 12mpg but my JK Wrangler was only marginally better at 13mpg with no power under the hood. Traffic just sucks here and I only live 5 miles from my office and it is all 2 lane in town, lots of stop lights... crappy drive.. so I ride my bike or run to work most of the summer when the weather is nice.

Just trying to compare to my current Sequioa.  I'm averaging 14.5 with that.  If I went with the SRT I'd  loose some cargo space but gain a lot more fun.  

I would get a cheap tow vehicle like an old Grand Cherokee which can tow 6500 lbs and get something you'll enjoy driving everyday. The Cherokee is cheap to insure and fix if anything breaks. 

41 minutes ago, roeboat said:

I would get a cheap tow vehicle like an old Grand Cherokee which can tow 6500 lbs and get something you'll enjoy driving everyday. The Cherokee is cheap to insure and fix if anything breaks. 

Grand Cherokee with 6500 behind it would be a wild ride unless you bagged it.

23 hours ago, minnmarker said:

I like going fast around corners too.  But it is hard to argue with a vehicle that can blast off the line and leave 95% of the cars out there in the dust.  Especially when you can hitch your boat up to that same vehicle.

I will always have a sports car.  But I think an SRT to pull the boat would be pretty cool.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RyanB said:

I like going fast around corners too.  But it is hard to argue with a vehicle that can blast off the line and leave 95% of the cars out there in the dust.  Especially when you can hitch your boat up to that same vehicle.

I will always have a sports car.  But I think an SRT to pull the boat would be pretty cool.

I'm with you.  This is a pretty cool video of a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk towing a Hellcat to the track then beating it in the 1/4 mile on one run.  

Edited by Cazan
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Cazan said:

I'm with you.  This is a pretty cool video of a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk towing a Hellcat to the track then beating it in the 1/4 mile on one run.  

I haven't seen that one.  It sure look fun.  The Hellcats are in a league of their own.

And I have to say, one thing that Chrysler does right (and they have for a while) is exhaust note.  Wether it is a Hellcat, or a standard Hemi, IMO, it is some of the best sounding vehicles out there.

On 2/17/2018 at 6:33 PM, MustGoFast said:

So what was your budget for your "tow truck" if I can ask @minnmarker & @asnowman - Any thing I need to "look out" for or target?

My budget for a pickup was 10k, found one that looked solid for 4k.

It was not intended to be anything more than functional. I found a good deal on an 05, have put about 10k miles on it, and aside from cleaning out the interior and a stuck brake caliper, been just driving it. Stuck with a gas engine, cause it's more convenient for me.

Budget on the work truck was low because we needed a new yukon xl (which is what I usually tow the boat with anyway)

Edited by asnowman

You can pick up a previous generation Armada with low miles for a really good price. It looks dated, won't get great mileage, but it has good towing power, comfortable and nice to drive. I have a '12 with 75k on it and have only put about $200 worth of parts in it (aside from wear items, pads, tires, plugs). It's only on its second set of brake pads and tires. It's been a great truck for us.

I currently own a 2014 Grand Cherokee overland v6 4x4. I have towed well over 600mi at one time and works well as a tow vehicle for my 2014 VTX which is a little lighter than your t22. The Dodge Durango is better with it's longer wheel base but both are great tow vehicles. It is my primary commuter vehicle and replaced a e53 x5. I used to live in a townhouse downtown so multiple vehicles and large vehicles were not an option. For what your looking for it could be a great option good commuter car, cheap to own and relatively luxurious. Not as nice as the x5 but a lot cheaper and better tow vehicle.

If you like SUV's have a look at the Expedition. If you like just a little nicer have a look at the Lincoln Navigator both have the Eco boost. I picked up a 2017 Navigator two months ago and it is the best vehicle I think I may have ever had. As far as all around. It will pull whatever you put behind it as far as our boats. It is a blast to drive. If you could find a 2017 you can get some nice deals. The 2018 is all new so the 2017 get a big bump to move them out. If you can spend a ton of $$$$$ go look at the 2018's  

On 2/25/2018 at 1:43 AM, Cole2001 said:

Here’s a video or the new expedition towing. These guys have driven most of the full size suv’s, so definitely worth a compare.

I watched this earlier today.  The Expedition was pretty impressive going both up and down the hill.  I was surprised it only managed  3.8 mpg Up the hill. 

That new expedition is impressive. 

When I tow my Malibu up that same road with my Yukon Denali, I cant maintain 60 mph. 

But $80k?  That just seems way expensive. Maybe I’ll consider it after someone turns in a 3 year lease. 

As an aside, I think the Lincoln version has 450 HP. 

And what is up with the pulsating head and tail lights?

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

When I tow my Malibu up that same road with my Yukon Denali, I cant maintain 60 mph. 

But $80k?  That just seems way expensive. Maybe I’ll consider it after someone turns in a 3 year lease. 

For less than that you can score a duramax, power stroke, or cummins crew cab. You don't have to go denali, platinum,etc. I bought a 16' when 17's started showing up on lot for a great deal and have buddy's scoring certified pre owned with low miles. Slap a shell or metal roll up tonneau cover and you will have even more secure room than expedition or yukon for gear and with diesel get better gas mileage. My duramax is getting me over 20mpg driving around town. Power non issue and exhaust brake is money on hills. 

Edited by alpensurf23
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

For less than that you can score a duramax, power stroke, or cummins crew cab. You don't have to go denali, platinum,etc. I bought a 16' when 17's started showing up on lot for a great deal and have buddy's scoring certified pre owned with low miles. Slap a shell or metal roll up tonneau cover and you will have even more secure room than expedition or yukon for gear and with diesel get better gas mileage. My duramax is getting me over 20mpg driving around town. Power non issue and exhaust brake is money on hills. 

I already have a 3500 Cummins. A full size SUV serves a different purpose. 

If I had to choose just one overall vehicle to also be a tow vehicle, a full size suv like this or my Yukon is likely what I would choose. 

Easier to drive/Park. More room for people (or in my case dogs). And better MPG while running on less expensive fuel. 

And color me EXTREMELY skeptical of your claim of 20 mpg around town. Fuelly shows overall MPG around 14. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I already have a 3500 Cummins. A full size SUV serves a different purpose. 

If I had to choose just one overall vehicle to also be a tow vehicle, a full size suv like this or my Yukon is likely what I would choose. 

Easier to drive/Park. More room for people (or in my case dogs). And better MPG while running on less expensive fuel. 

And color me EXTREMELY skeptical of your claim of 20 mpg around town. Fuelly shows overall MPG around 14. 

If you live in a metropolitan area, sure parking might be a challenge but Im not talking a dually and not a long bed. As for drivability I can be skeptical of what you've done to you cummins truck? Jacked up, oversized tires? It is a Dodge so understandably rides rougher than my 3500 duramax. As to what fuelly says I am not aware of but what i do know is I checked the accuracy of my truck's average mpg read out and it was pretty spot on. Not looking to get into a debate so be as skeptical as you like it's your investment. I have wondered myself on more than one occasion why they don't put a duramax in a Yukon or Tahoe for towing. Best of luck, just trying to help not misinform. :cheers:

4 hours ago, alpensurf23 said:

Having owned a 2016 Duramax 2500 (just moved to a F350 2 weeks ago) I can say that on the highway between 60-70mph I could get 20mpg, but in town?  Not even Chevy would be making that claim, but anything is possible.  In town I saw 12-14mpg depending on the time of year and about 16mpg combined.  Great truck for sure.

You must be really light on the pedal around town!

with my 2500 Ram Diesel, my mileage around town isn't that great.  what kills it is accelerating from lights.  driving 40 mph is good for mileage but not enough to compensate for stop and go. winter time costs 1mpg. 

8 hours ago, RyanB said:

I was waiting for the new Lincoln for more then a year. But after seeing the price tag I ran down to the dealer and picked up the 2017. Just over 62,000 with bumper to bumper insurance. Also covering vehicle being totaled for full return on my cost. Paint and glass protection for six years. I cant beleave how good it works. I have done glass but this works  on the body just as good.  The new Lincoln with 450 HP wants premium fuel. I think it runs on regular but not going to get the 450 hp. My bro has the new Expedition and it is a nice SUV but for me I don't need or care that my vehicle is the latest and greatest but I do want nice comfy traveling veh.   Looks like the ten speed on the new truck is good for one more MPG but he does not have enough miles on it yet to say for sure.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:00 AM, alpensurf23 said:

If you live in a metropolitan area, sure parking might be a challenge but Im not talking a dually and not a long bed. As for drivability I can be skeptical of what you've done to you cummins truck? Jacked up, oversized tires? It is a Dodge so understandably rides rougher than my 3500 duramax. As to what fuelly says I am not aware of but what i do know is I checked the accuracy of my truck's average mpg read out and it was pretty spot on. Not looking to get into a debate so be as skeptical as you like it's your investment. I have wondered myself on more than one occasion why they don't put a duramax in a Yukon or Tahoe for towing. Best of luck, just trying to help not misinform. :cheers:

My truck is a 2012 RAM 3500.  Crew Cab, long bed dually Long Horn.  Nothing on the suspension is changed, and I have stayed with the original tire size.

I am not arguing that a HD truck isn't a better tow vehicle.  It is.  The diesel won't work as hard as any gasser.  The exhaust brake works better than standard engine braking.  And for overall stability, the HD truck will be better than a full size SUV based on a 1500 chasis (which they all are right now).  Probably will even get better MPG towing.

But I don't think many objective people would say that same truck makes a better everyday driver than a full size SUV on a 1500 series platform.  All those things that make the HD a better tow vehicle work against it during daily driving.  Doesn't matter if it is a RAM/GM or Ford, a HD just won't ride as well as the SUV.  It will almost certainly have a wider turn radius, a higher center of gravity, require more clearance, and probably be physically larger than the SUV.  In addition, it will get worse everyday MPG than the SUV, and will be running more expensive fuel doing it.

For most people, they spend a lot more time driving their vehicle without a trailer behind it than with one.  And for my money, if I had to choose between a HD and a full size SUV as an all around vehicle to drive everyday as well as tow a LSV or smaller, I would choose the full-size SUV.  Not everyone feels the same way.

In regard to mileage, I will stick by my original statement.  If your Duramax is getting 20 MPG or better in everyday driving, you have a unusual and special truck.  Because most do not return that.

Fuelly has tracked 48 model year 2016 Silverado HD Duramax trucks for over 800,000 miles.  Average MPG for those vehicles is 14.7.  Lots of variables there, but I think in aggregate, they balance out to being lower than 20 MPG for city driving.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/silverado_2500_hd?engineconfig_id=156&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

Edited by RyanB
spelling