Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

General Malibu/Axis towing poll

Wavemaker

Just curious how everyone uses their tow vehicles. Completely Anonymous poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. The following is the best way to describe my towing setup:

• My total trailer/boat weight is 1-500 pounds over either my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is 500-1000 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is 1000-1500 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is over 1500 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • I THINK my tow vehicle, it's receiver hitch, tow mount and ball are all rated above my trailer/ boat weight.
    • I KNOW for sure that my tow vehicle, it's receiver hitch, tow mount and ball are all rated above my trailer/ boat weight.

2 hours ago, malibuskier2003 said:

I really like mine. 

Dave

Did you get the tongue weight gauge?  I’ve read some reviews that say it breaks quickly. I love the idea but thinking I should avoid it. 

Do you think that your tongue weight changes a lot from time to time?  I've always wondered what mine is (dunno, never bothered to figure it out) but once I did (do) figure it out, I don't think I really need to double check it again after that?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Do you think that your tongue weight changes a lot from time to time?  I've always wondered what mine is (dunno, never bothered to figure it out) but once I did (do) figure it out, I don't think I really need to double check it again after that?

naahhh...well you might want to pull the 500 lead out of the bow first...haha. 

With boats you’re going to have pretty much the same weight when you’re loaded  with gear. Unlike a flat decks that takes different loads or a rv with holding tanks snd what not. 

Edited by Cole2001
13 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

You’re probably right, I just thought it was cool, especially considering the fact that in 10 years of towing various inboards I’ve never really verified my tongue weight (sounds like you haven’t either).  I’ve just always assumed 10% of total.  But it would be nice to verify.

Probably more useful for guys who tow a variety of trailers/loads. 

Edited by IXFE

My boat is 5200lbs according to a cat scale with 500ish lbs tongue weight. Mostly tow with a 2012 f250. So not to worried.
We do use my wife's escalade maybe once or twice a year. So guess I tow over the limit sometimes.  

That is shocking that GM put class 3 hitches on vehicles rated for 8200. Why not just put a class 4 on it. 

ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

My boat is 5200lbs according to a cat scale with 500ish lbs tongue weight. Mostly tow with a 2012 f250. So not to worried.
We do use my wife's escalade maybe once or twice a year. So guess I tow over the limit sometimes.  

That is shocking that GM put class 3 hitches on vehicles rated for 8200. Why not just put a class 4 on it. 

All 1500’s are available with a class 3. I don’t get it either but it isn’t just GM. Well I know ram and gm, just assuming the others do as well. 

13 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

All 1500’s are available with a class 3. I don’t get it either but it isn’t just GM. Well I know ram and gm, just assuming the others do as well. 

The only class 3 you can get on a RAM any more is if you attach a ball to the bumper. (which is rated for 5K)  The only receiver you can get is a class 4 and it isn't even an option - comes standard. 

Years ago they used to offer a class 3 receiver bracket that just bolted to the bottom of the bumper, but that hasn't been an option for a while.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
On 3/7/2018 at 6:01 PM, IXFE said:

Did you get the tongue weight gauge?  I’ve read some reviews that say it breaks quickly. I love the idea but thinking I should avoid it. 

Mine does have the tongue weight gauge.  I don't read it (look at it) regularly, but it has worked like a charm.

Dave

1 hour ago, malibuskier2003 said:

Mine does have the tongue weight gauge.  I don't read it (look at it) regularly, but it has worked like a charm.

Dave

What is your tongue weight?

Little off topic. But I ordered a 3 ball straight out hitch and it’s too long by about a 1/4” to fit the pin in the receiver for the 2 5/16” ball:(.  So let’s hope I never have to use that size...

Say if I had someone grind it down on the end it would affect the rating? I could probably get the pin in by pushing the hitch into the spare tire, but that probably wouldn’t be worth it..

I would think that you could grind off .25in from the front end of the drawbar, assuming you have 2in or more from center of first pin hole to front end of the drawbar. your pin hole spacing might end up being too close if you add a pin hole.

On 3/9/2018 at 5:19 PM, RyanB said:

What is your tongue weight?

It's been so long since I looked I don't remember.  It's not something I think about very often (unfortunately).

Dave

1 hour ago, malibuskier2003 said:

It's been so long since I looked I don't remember.  It's not something I think about very often (unfortunately).

Dave

I’d be interested to know what it is if you happen to remember to look next time you hook up. 

37 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

is that a CTD 6.7?  yeeaahhh you got it.

Yup, debadged 3500 CTD with Aisin trans. Have had it almost 3 years now, it replaced my 2006 5.9 Cummins. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, alpensurf23 said:

But you'd be bomber with......

IMG_4857.jpg

2 hours ago, gorilla said:

Yup, debadged 3500 CTD with Aisin trans. Have had it almost 3 years now, it replaced my 2006 5.9 Cummins. 

His current rig is likely significantly more capable than that stretched 3rd gen. And looks much better too. Nice ride @gorilla

4 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

But it doesn't have a s***ter and an aero-dynamic wing.

Been looking for a wing ever since seen this rig. Talk about fast and furious pulling the boat out at ramp. Way more style points..

Edited by alpensurf23