Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Color Opinion - 2018 Malibu 21 VLX

WhiteWaterWeb

I think the charcoal Hull is the way to go.  Boat colors are in many ways te same as car colors.  Dark black and blue show all kinds of dust and dirt within hours of washing them.   White is better but since boats are watercraft the white can get a bit more dirty than say a white car in the summer.   Ask yourself what is the easiest color to stay clean looking? Silver and grey no question.  Plus it looks awesome.   I guess I’m biased however as that’s what I did on my 235 order (see below).   Love the green BTW.   My wife vetoed it.   I think you should carry it over to just the piping in the seats.  Subtle but with a pop.   Lastly-Grey floor for sure!  It’s not a teak floor so no use in trying to look like one.   This ain’t a Chris-Craft afterall. 

EC2BA172-ED57-4E6F-A6D2-5B5AAF3F55E6.jpeg

1 hour ago, siteki said:

You guys now have me worried about my color choices. Just ordered a 23 LSV with suede flooring. The exterior is white, black and stratosphere blue metallic (not very accurate depiction of the boat builder). Probably not too late to change, but my wife really likes the suede look. What does everyone think?

B9ED8D67-2FFE-49AE-BE13-E16F61156632.thumb.jpeg.0f21fa7ec402700ad8987764c3513db3.jpegF3803051-5198-48B6-8398-4050496A9F82.thumb.jpeg.5cd73371f9bbdf1caf3c6fbb3bf4cd86.jpeg

I think it looks great like that. Way too much grey/black otherwise.

13 hours ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Done and done, submitted to the dealer for order. I went with the following:

https://www.malibuboats.com/my-boat/2F134A59-07ED-E711-80DD-02AF3742B9AA/1b46408f-bc02-e811-80de-02af3742b9aa

Thanks to all - I will likely have more questions for you folks.

Cheers.

JJ

Nice job on your build.  I think you will be pleased with how the moonbeam gelcoat looks.  I did this hot orange boat with charcoal & moonbeam.  It gives the color a nice twist.

1E3988A8-C920-4CAF-85F8-B34B19E118A0.jpeg

• Like 1

I went with the suede too man; my wifes loves it and so do I - I have seen it in person on teal, blue, green and grey boats and it's classy. They grey is nice too...don't get me wrong. I just like the 'yacht' like look to this - might as well bling it up for what you are paying for it :)

Nice looking rig for sure.

Obviously folks should get what they like. Afterall it’s your boat.  The fake wood floor looks odd IMO in a sport boat.  It’s like putting wood trim in a Ferrari. :)   Can you imagine doing that?   I always go with Carbon fiber or brushed metallic for a reason.  Not even sure the factory would do wood.  

3C6CFFE0-750D-4E2D-B948-50E9DADF2981.jpeg

Thanks Dan Lee - I thought good and hard about the moonbeam and I am happy with it; subtle difference from white but enough of a difference. I just didn't want a dark colour as the main inside hull colour of the boat...could get hot, etc. Plus on a boat with only a 98in beam I need all the help I can get making it look bigger. First wakesurf boat for the family...the M235 is on the horizon (later on). Remember...there are no banks in heaven, and the poorest ultimately die the richest (two of my fav lines).

The problem with these renders on boat build tools is that the colors are often not accurate.  For example, my 235 build (above) the charcoal base color looks different to the black G4 tower.  However, if you see this in real life its nearly the exact same as the tower and the "Malibu" logo as they are a metal/carbon type finish so is not as black as it appears in photos.  You can do a google search for this stuff (i.e Charcoal Hull Malibu) and see some real photos which I think is key for anyone buying and building the boats site unseen 

Good points; I definitely hit up Google images to see actual images for Charcoal, the green, and the suede cushion flooring. Hoping I can get the tower in charcoal too, to match the hull. 

17 hours ago, siteki said:

You guys now have me worried about my color choices. Just ordered a 23 LSV with suede flooring. The exterior is white, black and stratosphere blue metallic (not very accurate depiction of the boat builder). Probably not too late to change, but my wife really likes the suede look. What does everyone think?

B9ED8D67-2FFE-49AE-BE13-E16F61156632.thumb.jpeg.0f21fa7ec402700ad8987764c3513db3.jpegF3803051-5198-48B6-8398-4050496A9F82.thumb.jpeg.5cd73371f9bbdf1caf3c6fbb3bf4cd86.jpeg

That boat is SICK!!!

This is a pretty decent photo of the Charcoal hull/base with the “black” tower and “black” logo.   Once you see these in person the materials actually match petty well.  

986881A9-D716-49A6-BF02-B4E976294582.jpeg

10 hours ago, RCorsa said:

Obviously folks should get what they like. Afterall it’s your boat.  The fake wood floor looks odd IMO in a sport boat.  It’s like putting wood trim in a Ferrari. :)   Can you imagine doing that?   I always go with Carbon fiber or brushed metallic for a reason.  Not even sure the factory would do wood.  

3C6CFFE0-750D-4E2D-B948-50E9DADF2981.jpeg

This brings two questions to my mind... (sorry in advance for potential thread derail)

1) How many Ferrari have you ordered?

2) What do you do for a living?

Edited by BadgerBoater55
4 hours ago, RCorsa said:

This is a pretty decent photo of the Charcoal hull/base with the “black” tower and “black” logo.   Once you see these in person the materials actually match petty well.  

There is no way that’s the black tower.  

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

You sure that’s not a charcoal tower? They offer that as an option.

I agree on the logos.

ahopkins22LSV

Here’s black, charcoal and a black tower. Is it maybe a bit lighter then the black gel? Yeah probably, but I feel that’s just because the tower is matte and the gel is gloss. Definitely darker then the charcoal. 

643812F6-2D0D-4855-AE00-468D22B405F5.jpeg

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
19 hours ago, Dan Lee said:

Nice job on your build.  I think you will be pleased with how the moonbeam gelcoat looks.  I did this hot orange boat with charcoal & moonbeam.  It gives the color a nice twist.

1E3988A8-C920-4CAF-85F8-B34B19E118A0.jpeg

You can clearly see the difference in Black here   

I think you are right, that might be the Charcoal tower.  I forgot they had that color. That said, because the tower and logo are matte and more plastic/carbon/metal they do look lighter than the black gel for sure.  I think Here is a good bright light photo of the Charcoal tower on a Charcoal base and it looks lighter than the boat I posted above.   Could be the lighting? 

@BadgerBoater55 yes I kind of got the thread off topic with the Ferrari thing but was just trying to make a point about the “look” of sports boats and cars.  I’m on my 5th now although the first one I bought used so only spec’d 4.  Cars are a problem my wife has learned to live with.  

I have a new IG page I’m starting so I can remember all my rides.  Here is my latest (for now)  

38A4CE65-6B61-4A6B-AA02-ECEEF234B2D8.jpeg

8 hours ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Good points; I definitely hit up Google images to see actual images for Charcoal, the green, and the suede cushion flooring. Hoping I can get the tower in charcoal too, to match the hull. 

You can only get the tower in black or white for the 21 VLX/21 MLX because of Malibu’s fixed pricing for those two models. 

It’s worth asking your dealer if they can pull some strings for a charcoal one since the 20 VTX has the same narrower 98” beam, and it has all 5 tower color options available. I doubt they would do that though since they won’t let you color match the hoop and arch on the fixed price  models, and the whole strategy on this line is to have a fixed option list.