Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

emj3553

54 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Standard flush kit on all models?  Nope. It’s an option, but if you get it the transom mount is the same as the M. 

The unique features of the M are (off the top of my head):

- it’s a unique shape, size, weight, etc. the hull, top deck, cabin, ballast, etc cannot be replicated with any other boat in the lineup  

- more finished fiberglass in places you can’t see (e.g. under the engine hatch)

- more billet sprinkle all over the place

- power wind screen

- fuse panel in walkthru

- led cup holders and tower speakers. The tower speakers are easily replicated aftermarket; however, the cup holders are unique to any aftermarket solution I’ve ever seen 

- when it was launched the transom walk thru was unique but now the MXZ’s have that (although not as deep as the M’s walk thru)

Thats all I can think of 

Flush kit is a standard option now and its located on the strainer. Transom mount looks like it is an option, where I guess on the M's since every box gets checked it gets added and you have to remove it if you dont want it.  If memory serves that started in 2016 when they went to closed cooling, if not I know it was for sure in 2017.

Edited by wbama387

"Split at the rub rail, floor goes with the upper deck, exposing the tanks underneath. They do this for a number of reasons."

Thanks, that was what I was wondering. My thinking was why pull the top deck, when you have the flooring to contend with. But, they go together evidently.

Steve B.

27 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

"Split at the rub rail, floor goes with the upper deck, exposing the tanks underneath. They do this for a number of reasons."

Thanks, that was what I was wondering. My thinking was why pull the top deck, when you have the flooring to contend with. But, they go together evidently.

Steve B.

Yup..... some pics here in the plant. You can see the 2 main sections of the boat..... the hulll & the upperdeck/gunwales.  Looks like an older Vride in the CA plant. Things have changed a bit in recent years & the floor is also part of the upper deck on newer boats..

In this video, at about the 8:58 mark, you can see the upper deck & seat bases.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, wbama387 said:

Flush kit is a standard option now and its located on the strainer where on the M its located at the transom. If memory serves that started in 2016 when they went to closed cooling, if not I know it was for sure in 2017.

You’re correct, there is a hose hookup by the strainer. I’m referring to the still optional “transom mount flush kit.”  MSRP is $348 even on my 2018 build. I’m looking at the options list as I type this. 

Point is, it’s not a differentiatior between the M and the Wakesetters. 

19 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Biting my tongue here .. any pics of what this is.. I have unfortunately found via doing some other work that one of the L bracket supports on rear side of center tank is not mounted to boat and another in rear not even present!  Are first I thought perhaps the screws fell out.. but no holes drilled in fiberglass.. full of water it's gotta be heavy so one might think all support brackets would  actually be mounted to the boat.. with all screws? Rear HT shifted back a bit putting pressure on the right angle Barb but no damages. Center tank has bent the one side bracket a tad but I've pushed back a bit and will mount the second for extra support. Other side of center tank has both L brackets but missing one screw in each brackt to boat..  

FYI check yours.. 

20171204_190400.jpg

20171204_190317.jpg

20171204_190058.jpg

No, not those. The brackets are heavy gauge aluminum, extruded L shape that run all the way across. There are two in the kit. 

It was service advisory MY17.SB06.FEB10 

PM me and Ill send you a PDF of the advisory. Any dealer that had an M235 that was affected were automatically sent the kit.

Edited by COOP
54 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Yup..... some pics here in the plant. You can see the 2 main sections of the boat..... the hulll & the upperdeck/gunwales.  Looks like an older Vride in the CA plant. Things have changed a bit in recent years & the floor is also part of the upper deck on newer boats..

In this video, at about the 8:58 mark, you can see the upper deck & seat bases.

Does anyone know what the product is that makes the flat floor in the links above?  It's some kind of fiberglass composite...can anyone confirm it is Coosa board?

604779.jpg

On 12/4/2017 at 6:59 AM, bamaboy said:

Why do you say this?  

After owning a A22, 23 lsv, and now a M235, each with tons of warranty issues and trading to a new boat each year only to have more issues.  Each of my boats have had tons of issues at first that improved mostly after multiple warranty claims and then I traded for a new boat assuming the last was a lemon and then had just as many QC problems.  I can't speak for other boat manufacturers QC but Malibu's is definitely poor.  I've heard rumors of others also having many issues.  Having a great dealer is the most important part of owning these high tech boats with poor quality control.  Once you have worked through many of the issues keep the boat for a few years.  I traded my other boats after one year and felt that I worked many of the bugs out and then started over.

• Like 2

Dealer , Ddaler ,Dealer is the key here.

the relationship is a make it or break it for our 100k toys

being able to set expectations(yours and knowing theirs)  and know what’s within their (dealer) abilities to remedy. I’ve had several items covered under my warranty (from the 2014, knock on wood no claims on the 17’ at this point) 

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Stevo said:

Dealer , Ddaler ,Dealer is the key here.

the relationship is a make it or break it for our 100k toys

being able to set expectations(yours and knowing theirs)  and know what’s within their (dealer) abilities to remedy. I’ve had several items covered under my warranty (from the 2014, knock on wood no claims on the 17’ at this point) 

A little off topic and maybe a bit personal but I'm curious how your dealer will work with you on the new one should you have any issues. Not really my place to ask but is that something you talked to them about prior to your non local purchase?  I have a good relationship with my dealer but I'm 99% sure they would put me on the back burner now if i purchased from somewhere else.   I think we have the same dealer but different location. I could be wrong. 

50 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

A little off topic and maybe a bit personal but I'm curious how your dealer will work with you on the new one should you have any issues. Not really my place to ask but is that something you talked to them about prior to your non local purchase?  I have a good relationship with my dealer but I'm 99% sure they would put me on the back burner now if i purchased from somewhere else.   I think we have the same dealer but different location. I could be wrong. 

We had a conversation prior

51 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

From somewhere else or someone else? Buying used out of territory is frowned upon too? I’ve been wondering about this as I shop for my next boat...

3 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

From somewhere else or someone else? Buying used out of territory is frowned upon too? I’ve been wondering about this as I shop for my next boat...

If I bought from somewhere else , that’s a whole different ballgame IMHO, 

i felt I did right by them with full disclosure up front, and we will see how things play out down the road. Only time can tell here.

38 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

I'd be concerned that's one in the same. Not sure I'd want to test that out. The way @Stevo did it would be the best way but seems some of these dealers can get butt hurt pretty easily and can have you by the short and curlys just as easy. When I was working out the bugs in my boat when it was new, my dealer was great. Not sure I'd get anywhere near that kind of service if i bought a year old boat from anyone other than them. Kinda doubt it. 

ahopkins22LSV
14 minutes ago, bamabonners said:

OK, i'll bite on this one...

Yes, you correct, maybe it is a little crazy to worry about parts of the boat that you don't normally see.  However, when spending the amount of money on these boats (as much as a modest house in some parts of the country), is it unreasonable to at least look in the bilge, under the console, inside compartments, and see what it's like?  Does it affect the ride, comfort, performance, or longevity of the boat.... no, most likely not.  It's just a talking point or maybe peace of mind.

My dad is on his second BassCat (bass boat that has a very high reputation as being well built).  I was helping him run some new cables for some upgraded electronics this past summer.  For most of the cable runs, there was a conduit that runs the length of the boat that they built in order to run cables from the front to the back.  I've had my arm in up to my shoulder in other places in that boat and I didn't feel any jagged holes and rough edge fiberglass.  I was pretty impressed with that...but then again, we are talking about a 68k bass boat that prides themselves on their craftsmanship and being the best built boat on the water, not some cheap run of the mill stump jumper.  

I've been inside most all the dark places in my boat and have seen some impressive stuff and some not so impressive stuff.  

That hole that he is complaining about is not in the bilge or in compartments. It's under the floor by the ballast tank that you have to work to get too. I agree the bilge should be tidy and same with compartments and under the helm. 

I will say this, some of the other boat manufacturers have templates.And you can, say unbolt the windshield from one and slap on the other. All screws and bolt same place.  Malibu not so much. I think a template would do wonders for them. 

Edited by spikew919
On 12/4/2017 at 10:48 PM, emj3553 said:

My dealer said they would trade in my M235 but now what do I get?  I'm between a new M235 (hopefully they've worked the bugs out since 2016) or a 24 MXZ.  The M throws a huge wake but I wasn't too impressed with much else on it. 

Does anyone know much about the new 24 MXZ's? Hows the surf wake? 

Can you get all the options the M235 has like the tower/cup holder lights and heated seats? 

I love the wave and I think it looks cool but the M cabin felt small especially with a 1000 lb sac in the bow

On 12/5/2017 at 10:03 AM, wbama387 said:

Interesting on the inverter and fire suppression. I have not seen it on other models and was not offered on my 17 LSV. Where do they mount the inverter on other models? 

I know all models come standard with the flush kit, but the M is the only one that comes with easy access at the swim platform. 

Are you serious that they don’t transom mount flush kits in Malibu’s but do an Axis????  That doesn’t seem right, mine was installed at factory as option and is transom mount , must be referring to dealer added flush

16 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Are you serious that they don’t transom mount flush kits in Malibu’s but do an Axis????  That doesn’t seem right, mine was installed at factory as option and is transom mount , must be referring to dealer added flush

He means the M is the only boat with a standard transom flush. All other boats it is an option. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mrnate450r said:

He means the M is the only boat with a standard transom flush. All other boats it is an option. 

Ok get it, the only m owner I spoke to said you start fully loaded with every option as standard and then deduct items 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 7:18 PM, emj3553 said:

My boat has been at the dealer and factory in Tennessee for a total of 10 weeks now with too many problems to list but the majors once are a broken center ballast tank (had to split the hull to fix) cracks in the fiber glass (both stress cracks around the interior and a big crack from the cleat being loose) also the original paint didn’t match and they had re paint the top half of the boat.  I don’t want this boat back and thought I would ask is anyone on here has had any similar circumstance with Malibu and what the outcome was?  I’ve asked them to give me a new boat or the market value for mine and the warranty guy says he’s not sure they can do that at this point.  I asked if I could talk to someone higher up and he said everything needs to go through him. Seems like they are dragging their feet.   It’s also disappointing how unprofessional this guys is and how he never returns calls or remembers what he’s supposed to be doing with my $160,000 boat he’s had for months. 

I couldn't help but notice the dealer you are working with in the background of one of your photos and can tell you that, in my opinion, this dealer is absolute crap. I bought a used boat from them a few years ago only to find out when i put it in the water for the first time that it had all sorts of damage that I believe they had to have known about but didn't bother disclosing to me (bent wedge, bent strut, bent prop shaft, 2 broken actuators, 1 bent fin). i called them to discuss why they didn't bother mentioning all these issues and the guy i worked with told me that they didn't tell me because i didn't ask and I should have paid their mechanic to give the boat a once over prior to buying it.  Needless to say, i lost my $hit.  Anyway, hopefully Malibu will make it right. 

For what its worth, i have a 2017 M and other than a bad alternator, haven't had a single issue with it. The dealer is very important. They can really act as your advocate to Malibu if something is really wrong with the boat.  

• Like 2
On 12/27/2017 at 6:11 PM, M235Ozark said:

I couldn't help but notice the dealer you are working with in the background of one of your photos and can tell you that, in my opinion, this dealer is absolute crap. I bought a used boat from them a few years ago only to find out when i put it in the water for the first time that it had all sorts of damage that I believe they had to have known about but didn't bother disclosing to me (bent wedge, bent strut, bent prop shaft, 2 broken actuators, 1 bent fin). i called them to discuss why they didn't bother mentioning all these issues and the guy i worked with told me that they didn't tell me because i didn't ask and I should have paid their mechanic to give the boat a once over prior to buying it.  Needless to say, i lost my $hit.  Anyway, hopefully Malibu will make it right. 

For what its worth, i have a 2017 M and other than a bad alternator, haven't had a single issue with it. The dealer is very important. They can really act as your advocate to Malibu if something is really wrong with the boat.  

A good dealer as well as working with people is absolutely necessary.

Act reasonable and you get reciprocation.