Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

emj3553

11 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I would really be tempted to demand a new boat, but I think it would be a waste of energy because I doubt if they would. Sadly. But I think Malibu should totally replace your boat then make the repairs and sell it at a heavily reduced price.

It is possible to get a replacement boat when you get a lemon!  You must work with Malibu and your dealer to accomplish it.  Essentially Malibu "subsidizes' your trade value, by discounting the replacement boat.  The dealer takes the lemon on trade and simply sells it into the used boat market.  

At least this is how they handled my 2014....the process may have changed.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 1

The center ballast tank cracking has been an issue. They even sent out a brace kit for dealers to install.

The temp reading (Im assuming youre talking about on the top touch screen) in the first version software was always high. Once version 2 came out the temps readings were normal. I dont know if it was a calibration issue or where the computer was taking the temp.

The hose issue I think was address with a service bulletin from Indmar. If the hoses are seated the correct way the water flow isnt right.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, COOP said:

The center ballast tank cracking has been an issue. They even sent out a brace kit for dealers to install

Biting my tongue here .. any pics of what this is.. I have unfortunately found via doing some other work that one of the L bracket supports on rear side of center tank is not mounted to boat and another in rear not even present!  Are first I thought perhaps the screws fell out.. but no holes drilled in fiberglass.. full of water it's gotta be heavy so one might think all support brackets would  actually be mounted to the boat.. with all screws? Rear HT shifted back a bit putting pressure on the right angle Barb but no damages. Center tank has bent the one side bracket a tad but I've pushed back a bit and will mount the second for extra support. Other side of center tank has both L brackets but missing one screw in each brackt to boat..  

FYI check yours.. 

20171204_190400.jpg

20171204_190317.jpg

20171204_190058.jpg

Edited by The Hulk

Lol, this is the part I hate about forums and being an enthusiast.   I always see all the issues and try to heed the advice of "better check yours out", but frankly, that gets exhausting.   Sometimes I'd like to just be dumb to what could go wrong and blindly enjoy things.    

Sorry to hear of the issues some are having.   So far, I consider my 2016 LSV pretty rock solid.    Of course now, I'm expecting my center tank may fail next season :)

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Ya, I feel for the folks with big issues. Sorry. Repairing the center tank require the hull to be split? So, they make a lengthwise cut(s) near the tracking fins?

Steve B. 

Do the tanks split in the bottom? Or where exactly in the tank? Roto molded PE should be somewhat pretty soft and flexible assuming it's evenly thick/rotated/enough material etc.. 

Edited by The Hulk
32 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Ya, I feel for the folks with big issues. Sorry. Repairing the center tank require the hull to be split? So, they make a lengthwise cut(s) near the tracking fins?

Steve B. 

Splitting the hull would be done at the rubrail, where it was originally joined, if that were to be necessary.

Edited by NWBU
  • Like 2

My dealer said they would trade in my M235 but now what do I get?  I'm between a new M235 (hopefully they've worked the bugs out since 2016) or a 24 MXZ.  The M throws a huge wake but I wasn't too impressed with much else on it. 

Does anyone know much about the new 24 MXZ's? Hows the surf wake? 

Can you get all the options the M235 has like the tower/cup holder lights and heated seats? 

M235 is still gonna be the big dog, even though the MXZ is a foot longer the M still weighs 700 lbs more and allows for more ballast. It has every bell and whistle although if those whistles didn’t wow you then why pay for them.

Don’t rule out the 25lsv, it’s 2 ft longer , 550 pounds lighter dry but has a slightly larger weight capacity. 

9 hours ago, emj3553 said:

My dealer said they would trade in my M235 but now what do I get?  I'm between a new M235 (hopefully they've worked the bugs out since 2016) or a 24 MXZ.  The M throws a huge wake but I wasn't too impressed with much else on it. 

Does anyone know much about the new 24 MXZ's? Hows the surf wake? 

Can you get all the options the M235 has like the tower/cup holder lights and heated seats? 

You can not get all the options the M comes with on Malibu's other boats. Currently the M is the only boat with speaker and cup holder lights, but you can get the seat heater on their other boats. Really it is the pocket door, RGB lights on speakers and cup holders, second 12" sub, 3 amps, 115V plugs, automatic battery voltage monitor, 5 heaters, transom flush kit, and fire suppression system that you can not get on their other boats. 

I personally think they have worked out the major issues on the 2018. I am still having minor issues with mine, but nothing that is keeping me off the water and nothing you would wouldn't see on their other boats. 

Edited by wbama387
14 hours ago, The Hulk said:

No bracket in rear keeping tank from sliding back.  Top bracket was shifted significantly holding it just enough before Barb failure.

20171204_185612.jpg

A $220K MSRP boat and Malibu still has jagged fiberglass cutouts with untrimmed carpet. So much for "flagship" quality for a flagship boat. Why I'm leaving Malibu/Axis for my next boat. 

6 minutes ago, wbama387 said:

You can not get all the options the M comes with on Malibu's other boats. Currently the M is the only boat with speaker and cup holder lights, but you can get the seat heater on their other boats. Really it is the pocket door, RGB lights on speakers and cup holders, second 12" sub, 3 amps, 115V plugs, automatic battery voltage monitor, 5 heaters, transom flush kit, and fire suppression system that you can not get on their other boats. 

You can get the inverter, flush kit, and fire suppression on any Wakesetter. 

LED’s are not available but can be added aftermarket. 

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

A) Hulk's boat is not 220 MSRP

B) Are you serious? You care about what cutouts look like deep in the boat that no one other then the guy who put it together and maybe a service tech would see? IMO that is crazy. Now if you said I prefer the styling, design, and performance of brand X over Malibu that's legit.

I'll add that nobody with any concept of the value of a dollar pays MSRP. Also how much would it add to the price if they made everything hidden in the bilge look pretty and trimmed the excess carpet. I was fine with trimming the carpet myself just to keep it out of any potential bilge water which only took a few minutes. 

42 minutes ago, TexasA24 said:

A $220K MSRP boat and Malibu still has jagged fiberglass cutouts with untrimmed carpet. So much for "flagship" quality for a flagship boat. Why I'm leaving Malibu/Axis for my next boat. 

Yeah, because the budget boat or any other brand won’t have the same?? 

My next boat won’t be Malibu because I want finished gelcoat and gatorstep in the subfloor, might add LED’s down their too

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, IXFE said:

You can get the inverter, flush kit, and fire suppression on any Wakesetter. 

LED’s are not available but can be added aftermarket. 

Interesting on the inverter and fire suppression. I have not seen it on other models and was not offered on my 17 LSV. Where do they mount the inverter on other models? 

I know all models come standard with the flush kit, but the M is the only one that comes with easy access at the swim platform. 

20 minutes ago, wbama387 said:

Interesting on the inverter and fire suppression. I have not seen it on other models and was not offered on my 17 LSV. Where do they mount the inverter on other models? 

I know all models come standard with the flush kit, but the M is the only one that comes with easy access at the swim platform. 

My guess is it’s not a standard option but available if u wanna pay

33 minutes ago, wbama387 said:

The unit is right above the Charger. There is a 110v plug there as well as one in the Starboard cubby in the walkthrough.

• Like 2
On 12/1/2017 at 6:18 AM, emj3553 said:

Yeah good point but it wasn't from lack of water according to the dealer.  They said it was from the angle of the flow into the hose. 

I've seen this on two different boats too. Something about the exhaust melting the outside corner of the hose due to water not getting there. The boat's excessive weight make the engine run hard.... and hot.

On 12/1/2017 at 7:18 PM, bamaboy said:

Split my brand new 160K boat in half and repaint?  Yeah, no.  Sorry.  Nope nope nope.

Not really unusual. Their assembled this way, and occasionally have to be disassembled...... equivalent to a car body being removed from the frame/chassis.

16 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Steve B. 

Split at the rub rail, floor goes with the upper deck, exposing the tanks underneath. They do this for a number of reasons.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
1 hour ago, wbama387 said:

Standard flush kit on all models?  Nope. It’s an option, but if you get it the transom mount is the same as the M. 

The unique features of the M are (off the top of my head):

- it’s a unique shape, size, weight, etc. the hull, top deck, cabin, ballast, etc cannot be replicated with any other boat in the lineup  

- more finished fiberglass in places you can’t see (e.g. under the engine hatch)

- more billet sprinkle all over the place

- power wind screen

- fuse panel in walkthru

- led cup holders and tower speakers. The tower speakers are easily replicated aftermarket; however, the cup holders are unique to any aftermarket solution I’ve ever seen 

- when it was launched the transom walk thru was unique but now the MXZ’s have that (although not as deep as the M’s walk thru)

Thats all I can think of 

• Like 1