Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All Buttoned Up. You?

sunvalleylaw

2 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

what are the dryer sheets for?

In high school I worked storing boats for marinas and private owners in barns back in MN for "overflow storage"  

We would put dryer sheets in our boats.  Everyone else had mice in the spring, we did not.

Theory is they off gas enough scent that the mice can't smell much else.  They aren't comfortable living somewhere they can't smell predators, etc. So they keep searching.  

Mouse traps are a good idea around the boat.  We used lots of the enclosed kind in the barns instead of poisons and open traps, to keep the barn cats out of the vets office/ground.

Edited by Pra4sno
14 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

In high school I worked storing boats for marinas and private owners in barns back in MN for "overflow storage"  

We would put dryer sheets in our boats.  Everyone else had mice in the spring, we did not.

Theory is they off gas enough scent that the mice can't smell much else.  They aren't comfortable living somewhere they can't smell predators, etc. So they keep searching.  

Mouse traps are a good idea around the boat.  We used lots of the enclosed kind in the barns instead of poisons and open traps, to keep the barn cats out of the vets office/ground.

I tried dryer sheets in my popup camper a couple of years ago and needed to replace the canvas in the Spring due to mouse damage. Not a fan.

1 hour ago, Boatman said:

I tried dryer sheets in my popup camper a couple of years ago and needed to replace the canvas in the Spring due to mouse damage. Not a fan.

For $.50 I'll just keep using them as they've worked for me in the past.  I also use desiccant (damp rid tubs) corrosion inhibiting block in the engine, and moth balls in my personal boats.  

I'm not swearing by them, but I do know that the variable "difference" between our untouched boats and dozens of others that had mice was Bounce brand dryer sheets.  

Edited by Pra4sno

Never had any mouse damage and we don't put anything in the boat.  Cats on the other hand, I stored my old boat at a buddies place once and those damn cats would piss on the cover which would leak through onto the bow seats.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Never had any mouse damage and we don't put anything in the boat.  Cats on the other hand, I stored my old boat at a buddies place once and those damn cats would piss on the cover which would leak through onto the bow seats.

Cats love the new sea deck on the trailers for kneading.

Do yall fill your fuel tank all the way up for storage?

I've drained all the water out, need to fog it, and run some antifreeze in it. How many gallons of antifreeze do yall use? This is my first time winterizing on my own, and I've read 3-4 gal.

8 minutes ago, Cmb396 said:

Do yall fill your fuel tank all the way up for storage?

I've drained all the water out, need to fog it, and run some antifreeze in it. How many gallons of antifreeze do yall use? This is my first time winterizing on my own, and I've read 3-4 gal.

Mine gets parked with whatever is in the tank - typically 1/2 to 3/4

I use 2 gallons, that doesn't fill it to the top but is enough for me to fill the heater and get the antifreeze into the bottom of the block and anywhere water might have gotten trapped. 

9 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Mine gets parked with whatever is in the tank - typically 1/2 to 3/4

I use 2 gallons, that doesn't fill it to the top but is enough for me to fill the heater and get the antifreeze into the bottom of the block and anywhere water might have gotten trapped. 

Ok, I've always stored my boat with whatever fuel was in the tank. Just read where it helped cut down on condensation in the tank to have it full, but it's never been a problem in the past. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

I've heard with fiberglass tanks, condensation is not a problem like with the old metal ones - any thoughts?

True, also true that if your boat is inside it doesn't get the huge fluctuations that it gets out in the sun.  Also true that newer boats have evap canisters so any "breathing" that the tank might do is highly restricted.

I have always siphoned any remaining fuel into my truck, then topped my tank off with fresh ethanol free premium, put blue stabil in and then ran the boat on that fresh fuel and stabil before fogging and storing.  Then again I've always owned carbed boats and even if it's a snake oil trick I've never had vapor lock...like my dryer sheets...its worked in the past.  

The less air the can be drawn through breather lines the better IMO.  

If you're in public storage keep in mind that I've heard siphoning isn't uncommon and come spring your efforts may be all for nothing.  

Edited by Pra4sno
Just now, Cmb396 said:

So, for fogging, do I spray each cylinder, and then run the engine, or no? Little confused on that.

If you are going to fog it then spray each cylinder, rotate engine 180 degrees by hand and spray again.

Pulled mine out of the water on Friday. Saturday worked on winterizing/cleaning. Sunday I shampooed the boat carpet to try to get some stains out. This week I'll work on waxing the whole boat inside and out.

I was going to fog mine through the intake as the manual says, but I couldn't get the damn K&N air filter off. I had it off in September to clean it, but i think it's was too cold now, not enough flex.

Got to ride this past Friday for what was probably my last run.  Air was 77.  Water was 65-67, good enough for no suit. Pulled the boat off the lift and brought it home and put it in my 30x30 detached that was finished in December last year.   One thing I discovered, and I can't believe it took me this long, I don't have to drop my tower to put the boat in and out of the garage when towing with my Silverado.....happy camper. 

I'll get to winterizing in a month or so.  

Used dryer sheets, and put some packing tape over the exhaust last year as someone said to do that.  No mice or anything.  But, it is cold in that boat in the winter and no advantage to mice or etc.  I didn't fog.  My tank is full with Stabil put in.  Drained and coolant poured in the heater hoses and J hose.  But not poured in the manifolds.  I may still do that.   Just because.  Oil/filter is changed.  Will do impeller in the spring.  Also will check tranny oil then as well.

what's the overall consensus on filling the block with antifreeze?  i drained everything and filled the heater core with antifreeze.  left the block drain plugs out

14 minutes ago, anotherrunner83 said:

what's the overall consensus on filling the block with antifreeze?  i drained everything and filled the heater core with antifreeze.  left the block drain plugs out

Don't think there is a consensus.  Many do, many don't.  Anecdotally based on what I have read here.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
9 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Don't think there is a consensus.  Many do, many don't.  Anecdotally based on what I have read here.  

antifreeze no antifreeze is second only to the gas/diesel debate which comes in there at about the same level of debate as the oil change in the fall vs. spring, vs fall and spring debate.

all of which make for good off season reading.

Pulled the last lifts and docks Sunday. That makes it officially winter! :(  Did go to the snowmobile show Saturday so I guess it could be worse. With any luck we will be putting things back in early March.