Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power "wedge"?

onewake09

5 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Would it be worth the 5k? Strictly surfing only. 

IMO GSA would be the way to go for a retrofit for surfing only.  But, my time with power wedge was limited and it was the sales person adjusting it so I'm really just speaking to how good GSA is on my boat in terms of how many wave options I have.

4 hours ago, racer808 said:

IMO GSA would be the way to go for a retrofit for surfing only.  But, my time with power wedge was limited and it was the sales person adjusting it so I'm really just speaking to how good GSA is on my boat in terms of how many wave options I have.

I’m talking about on a surf gate boat

9 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

I doubt it. The wedge is good but in my experience the same thing can be accomplished by moving weight around. Some may disagree with me on this but the only real reason I like the wedge is to steepen the wakeboard wake. The lift feature would be nice to help plane but that's the only reason I'd want one over manual wedge. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

We are upgrading to a 2018 with the power wedge.  We demoed it and were able to get a good wave with stock ballast using the power wedge to tweak it until we were happy. 

Our on the water time is limited and we were spending waaaay to much time filling/draining extra bags (3 bags in addition to tanks and pnp).  We will have some lead in the new boat for tweaking wave but we believe we can get a better wave without having extra bags out on the new T22 then we could with our '12 A22 with additional bags. 

You don't need wedge (floating or power) or even surfgate to get a good surf wave but these things make it faster and easier to get a good wave. 

Someone that was not concerned about surf transfers could pick up an older Axis. Have a smaller custom swim platform made and get a sick wave on the cheap.  Only drawback, it would require some setup up time each time out. 

Surfgate and power wedge are convience features.  It's all about the value YOU put on convience.  

Im struggling to get a consistent wave on my '17 a20. I have 750's in the rear lockers and the bow bag, which i doubt is actually 400 lbs. Keep in my mind this is my first inboard boat, period. Some days i feel like its dialed in, and then it seems to go away. Granted, I probably havent put enough time fine tuning. It seems that with the rears all full and the bow and center full i still need some weight up front. Is it better to try lead or a bag on the cushions? Would a center bag right in the walk way accomplish the same thing?

I used to think pre sets were stupid and I didn't need a power wedge until I got both. We use them every time out. We run full ballast + for wakeboarding and surfing (same ballast for both) and use the pre-sets for speed and wedge. My son wants max everything with full wedge. I like minimum wedge. Our 2 surf setting have 2 different wedge locations. One is our go to setting and the other one we play around with to try get a different wave when we feel like experimenting.

5 hours ago, onewake09 said:

Rudy, what's your setup for surfing? I often only have two adults and 2 small kids. Thoughts?

Goofy or regular side? I have the same setup as you. I max out the boat and set speed at 11.2. Goofy I fill right rear and pull water out of left rear for a great goofy wave. I just bought two sumo 850 bags that I'm gonna try on the nose and by the helm. I'll let you know. Wedge down always.

5 hours ago, onewake09 said:

Rudy, what's your setup for surfing? I often only have two adults and 2 small kids. Thoughts?

Our boats have a wave with tons of push when boat is maxed out. You have to remember to surf In a way that doesn't destroy the wave. Ride the gutter or trough of the wave and slowly move back than charge forward and do tricks. Than get back into trough. Riding high up wave close to the boat will kill any wave. 

19 hours ago, onewake09 said:

Im struggling to get a consistent wave on my '17 a20. I have 750's in the rear lockers and the bow bag, which i doubt is actually 400 lbs. Keep in my mind this is my first inboard boat, period. Some days i feel like its dialed in, and then it seems to go away. Granted, I probably havent put enough time fine tuning. It seems that with the rears all full and the bow and center full i still need some weight up front. Is it better to try lead or a bag on the cushions? Would a center bag right in the walk way accomplish the same thing?

750's in the rear lockers are way too big for the A20. If you want to fill those up full, you will need an additional bow bag on top of the seats, like a 750 or 1000 lb bow triangle.

10 hours ago, RudyMuller said:

Goofy or regular side? I have the same setup as you. I max out the boat and set speed at 11.2. Goofy I fill right rear and pull water out of left rear for a great goofy wave. I just bought two sumo 850 bags that I'm gonna try on the nose and by the helm. I'll let you know. Wedge down always.

I ride goofy right now. Im gonna try your setup tomorrow. This might be the last time I get out for the year. Im in delaware and winter is coming. How much do you think your letting out of the port bag when riding goofy? half? I think I'll end up getting a bow triangle next season. I like to have options and they arent that expensive really. 

3 hours ago, onewake09 said:

I ride goofy right now. Im gonna try your setup tomorrow. This might be the last time I get out for the year. Im in delaware and winter is coming. How much do you think your letting out of the port bag when riding goofy? half? I think I'll end up getting a bow triangle next season. I like to have options and they arent that expensive really. 

I just checked. I have 550's in my rear locker. That might be the difference. My goofy is tough to get good. Lots of white water.