Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 22VLX Build - Updated w/pictures on page 3

Brett B

7 hours ago, Fman said:

Malibu also now offers a storage box on trailers located under winch to store spare tire changing equipment.  Have no idea how much they charge for it.

This is actually one of the things I suggested on that trailer survey!  I guess I earned my free hat lol!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Fman said:

No winterization?  Interesting...is that because of no freezing temps?  I always do it solely for not having standing water in my block and fuel not being used for 6 months.  I always stabilized the fuel tank and system.  What do they say...rust never sleeps :) It occasionally freezes here but boat has always been in insulated garage.  I guess standing water could be a non issue or maybe I waisted my time?

I only winterize mine if the weather is going to plummet.  I use it all year so if I see there's going to be a long cold spell, I can run out, pull the plugs and get things emptied quickly.  Takes about an hour.  I have winterized mine 3 or 4 times in the 4 winters I have had it but all of those came in one year.  If forecast is for temps of 30 or below, I put 2 drop lights on different circuits in the engine bay and leave them on over night. I think this year I will change to a bilge heater but so far the lights have worked well for me.  I can look in the plug hole and see the light on so I know its on.  If forecasts are for 20 or below, I drain it.  We have only had a few hard freezes in the last 20 years that I can remember.  Its pretty rare that we get block freezing temps in these parts. showers and heaters, both of which I don't have, are a different story.

12 minutes ago, IXFE said:

How did this thread become about winterization?

Probably my fault... I was pointing out a blanket statement  made in another post was the opinion of one. 

I don’t think winterizing is stupid , but saying something is because it doesn’t apply to you is.

3 hours ago, Brett B said:

Another sweet rig, are those the XD811's? They look a lot better on the trailer than I expected.

These are the 811s but aftermarket, Malibu sells the 2 tone pictured on the previous page. You can swap out different inserts with a range of colors , but I think blacked out was the better choice

Edited by Stevo
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

How did this thread become about winterization?

I like to derail threads and learn something along the way.  I could not resist... it's important for us peeps who actually keep a boat for more than 4 months!:)

• Like 2

Can anybody share some interior photos showing the light graphite, graphite, or moonbeam colors? I don’t have a good feel for how they look with the new textured vinyl. The boat builder makes the light graphite color look very light, almost the same as the white floor. Below is what I have picked so far.

Interior base: Light graphite 
Interior main: Graphite
Accent 1: Indy Red
Accent 2: Ebony
Cushion bead: Ebony
Cushion panel: Ebony
Dash accent: Light graphite
Deck floor: White

26144683679_1b21f34f9f_b.jpg

24069365208_1cb13aeb4b_b.jpg

42 minutes ago, Brett B said:

Thanks guys! The moonbeam looks much closer to white than on my old boat with the smooth vinyl.

Yeah, moonbeam is super light and can easily be mistaken for white unless you see them next to eachother. 

Here is white, light graphite, and graphite. It also has a black cushion panel and Indy red bead. 

IMG_8591.JPG

Updated interior with moonbeam base, light graphite main, and charcoal as accent 1. I think it looks a bit sharper. The graphite had a very blue tint to it when I saw it in person and I don’t think it will fit well in this design. I wish charcoal was an option for the base or main colors.

24084723178_d0d85888cf_b.jpg

9 hours ago, teamerickson said:

Looks good! What about a moonbeam deck floor? That’s what I did. :thumbup:

I did that once and it looked great (actually I think it was light graphite). It's s nice way to make floor tray blend in with the carpet seat bases and floor. 

Heres with and without carpet installed. 

P.S. That vinyl is white and moonbeam, but it's the old vinyl (this was my '12 VLX)

IMG_8600.PNG

IMG_8601.PNG

Edited by IXFE

^^^That's almost exactly what my 2012 interior looks like except I have a white floor. I actually like the white contrast with the gray carpeting but moonbeam on the floor would look good too.

Is this the Commercial Sewing bimini in the video below? I know there have been some changes to how the bimini worked over the years and I like how this one slides and folds so easily, just want to make sure what I am ordering works the same way.

Edited by Brett B

Brett, that's called the

CS Bimini Top - Gen II Surf

And you definitely want it for the board storage more than any other reason. FWIW, my last two didn't slide that easily. It was easier to pull them from behind. But still love it when it's up. Good shade, great storage. 

MSRP is $1,632 on a '18 23 LSV so I assume it's the same for a 22 VLX

• Like 2
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

Brett, that's called the

CS Bimini Top - Gen II Surf

And you definitely want it for the board storage more than any other reason. FWIW, my last two didn't slide that easily. It was easier to pull them from behind. But still love it when it's up. Good shade, great storage. 

MSRP is $1,632 on a '18 23 LSV so I assume it's the same for a 22 VLX

Great, thanks again IXFE. That is indeed the one that I have on my build sheet with the same MSRP.

• 3 weeks later...

Wakemakers and Exile are both having big Black Friday sales today. So my full ballast system and a pair of Exile XM9s are now ordered! I wasn't planning to order everything just yet but the deals were pretty good so I'm going to have stuff sitting here waiting on a new boat for a few months. 

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...