Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 22VLX Build - Updated w/pictures on page 3

Brett B

31 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Well I thought so but reading the comments above from @IXFE and @Wakesetter67 it looks like it has changed again. I liked the 2017 stuff too. And I never found it difficult to clean even through running events haven't 30-50 people in and out of the boat. 

I was in a 18lsv over the weekend and it had the textured stuff.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, REHinH20 said:

I have a buddy with the 811's, and he says they are the worst wheels he's ever owned...because they are so difficult to clean.

I have 7 of these and they take a little more work but with a wheel brush it’s no big deal

16 minutes ago, gobble said:

Why do you guys care what the wheels of your trailer look like? That's about the last thing I'd want to spend extra money on when I buy a new boat.

Till you see a boat with a blinged trailer .....

i love the blinged look, and get comments all the time. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, gobble said:

Why do you guys care what the wheels of your trailer look like? That's about the last thing I'd want to spend extra money on when I buy a new boat.

I could see myself splurging on trailer wheels if my boat lived on the trailer instead of a hoist. My boat is towed twice a year so it doesn't make sense for me but if I trailered my boat every weekend I would totally have a blinged out trailer with nice wheels

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, gobble said:

I have had 5 boats with all stock wheels....Time to splurge! This will be my first with some bling, But I did show cars before boating so it does help satisfy my creative side! 

My 2018 22 VLX has the same textured 2017 vinyl fabric that I saw in the showroom at my local dealer. I took delivery less than a month ago, so unless something has changed, it seems like that is what they are going with.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

There was some confusion on that, My dealer said something about they were having trouble with the supplier and were having to use the 2017 fabric, So to be honest I'm not sure what I'm getting LOL The one I demoed had the old fabric.. 

It's definitely the same as 17'.

9 hours ago, Stevo said:

Till you see a boat with a blinged trailer .....

i love the blinged look, and get comments all the time. 

Because all the bikini girls that hang out at the boat ramp will want you because your boat trailer looks cool? :)

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, gobble said:

Because all the bikini girls that hang out at the boat ramp will want you because your boat trailer looks cool? :)

That's not how it works?  :Doh:  Oh, well.  Back to the drawing board...

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Brett B said:

^^^ Good to know, thanks. 

Here is the options list so far. Is the non-skid material on the top deck surfaces worth it? I’m thinking about adding it since the deck is black. 

CS bimini-Gen 2 Surf
GL boat cover-w/pleated pockets w/hang-tyte
High Altitude prop 2249
Heater, 2-outlet
Sound system-Wake VLX pack
Subwoofer-12” w/amp
Tower speaker amp
G3.5 tower
Extra pair of fixed combo racks
Bow MLS
Plug-and-play plumbing
Surf Gate 
Power Wedge 2
Soft grip flooring
Sport dash
Wake view seating
Backup camera
Battery setup 2
Pull up cleats, two pair
Docking Lights
18” Wheels
Side carrier spare tire mount
Ratchet trailer straps

Brett congrats on the new ride!:thumbup:

Few more options to consider.  Extra pair of bow docking cleats (3 on each side) extended rear steps on trailer, PTM clamping racks are legit and worth the money.  If your tapped out you could skip the bling wheels and use the money towards the racks, you wont regret it.  Malibu also now offers a storage box on trailers located under winch to store spare tire changing equipment.  Have no idea how much they charge for it.

If your at sea level the standard prop will pull a lot of weight.  It also keeps the rpms down for both wakeboarding and surfing.  We ran it all year with no issues even at 2000'.  The new trans ratio and raptor is a nice combo.   Not sure if you would need a high altitude prop unless your at high altitude or pushing extreme weight.

Edit: Surf pipe, reduces noise behind the boat and eliminates CO.  You would be surprised even with CAT exhaust systems how much CO you breath without the surf pipe.

I also have to ask are you limited to 22vlx size?

Edited by Fman
8 minutes ago, Fman said:

PTM clamping racks are legit and worth the money.  If your tapped out you could skip the bling wheels and use the money towards the racks, you wont regret it.  Malibu also now offers a storage box on trailers located under winch to store spare tire changing equipment.  Have no idea how much they charge for it.

@fman Can you help me out with why they are worth the money?  I am living the 10 year old boat world.  I put my boards in the rack and swing the bungee over.  I have a buddy with the old Mastecraft clamping racks and they are nice.  Yeh, nice.  Not looking to hate, just a little more color.

50 minutes ago, River Monsters said:

@fman Can you help me out with why they are worth the money?  I am living the 10 year old boat world.  I put my boards in the rack and swing the bungee over.  I have a buddy with the old Mastecraft clamping racks and they are nice.  Yeh, nice.  Not looking to hate, just a little more color.

The clamping racks are honestly amazing. I personally don’t have them but one of my riding buddies does and it’s so easy and the boards are much safer. No more pinching fingers. 

I would take the racks over fancy wheels or led’s everywhere. 

• Like 3

Do you guys think the sport dash is worth the money? I find that I never use it except to adjust the music volume. All my surf adjustments seem to be easier using the flat screen.

Definitely get the backup camera. Until you have it you don't know how helpful it is. I didn't even bother mounting my mirror because of the camera.

I'm at sea level and swapped out the stock prop after my first surf outing. The high altitude prop works better for me.

I use my trailer twice a year, so spending money on any trailer options is dumb.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, gobble said:

Do you guys think the sport dash is worth the money? I find that I never use it except to adjust the music volume. All my surf adjustments seem to be easier using the flat screen.

Definitely get the backup camera. Until you have it you don't know how helpful it is. I didn't even bother mounting my mirror because of the camera.

I use my trailer twice a year, so spending money on any trailer options is dumb.

1-Sport knob is not all it’s cracked up to be IMHO

2- back up camera is cool , but I could live without it.

3- I don’t winterize my boat , so winterizing is dumb. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Stevo said:

1-Sport knob is not all it’s cracked up to be IMHO

2- back up camera is cool , but I could live without it.

3- I don’t winterize my boat , so winterizing is dumb. 

No winterization?  Interesting...is that because of no freezing temps?  I always do it solely for not having standing water in my block and fuel not being used for 6 months.  I always stabilized the fuel tank and system.  What do they say...rust never sleeps :) It occasionally freezes here but boat has always been in insulated garage.  I guess standing water could be a non issue or maybe I waisted my time?

19 hours ago, IXFE said:

Here's a pic of the XD818's (with white accents) under my '16.  It's a great wheel if you want machined edges and tie in some color  

IMG_1738.JPG

Nice! Thanks IXFE, those look really good.

Edited by Brett B
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Stevo said:

Yup, and if they make the cut maybe they get to go for a ride

93F1E407-DCEA-4742-AB1F-9FC5B7753434.jpeg

Another sweet rig, are those the XD811's? They look a lot better on the trailer than I expected.

7 hours ago, Fman said:

Brett congrats on the new ride!:thumbup:

Few more options to consider.  Extra pair of bow docking cleats (3 on each side) extended rear steps on trailer, PTM clamping racks are legit and worth the money.  If your tapped out you could skip the bling wheels and use the money towards the racks, you wont regret it.  Malibu also now offers a storage box on trailers located under winch to store spare tire changing equipment.  Have no idea how much they charge for it.

If your at sea level the standard prop will pull a lot of weight.  It also keeps the rpms down for both wakeboarding and surfing.  We ran it all year with no issues even at 2000'.  The new trans ratio and raptor is a nice combo.   Not sure if you would need a high altitude prop unless your at high altitude or pushing extreme weight.

Edit: Surf pipe, reduces noise behind the boat and eliminates CO.  You would be surprised even with CAT exhaust systems how much CO you breath without the surf pipe.

I also have to ask are you limited to 22vlx size?

Thanks Fman! It's not a done deal yet but hopefully I can turn a crappy situation (broken 2012) into something positive with a new boat.

My local water has a 22 foot limit so 22VLX or 22MXZ is the biggest I can go.

Thanks for the rest of the ideas. I left off the surf pipe and rear trailer steps for now to try and help the new boat fit into my current garage. The old boat barely fit and I planned on a garage addition project in the next year or two before I upgraded. Obviously my time scale got bumped up when the 2012 ran into serious issues. I have a friend with a 2015 22VLX, he's going to bring it over in a week or two to see how well it fits in my garage.