Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge vs. the new free-floating Wedge

Trentster

I would expect that with that kind of weight, the wedge wouldn't make much difference. :lol:

actually it makes a huge difference. surprinsing. with half wedge the wave wants to push you with full wedge it seems the wave wants to suck you down torwards the back of the boat. i need a 247.

I would expect that with that kind of weight, the wedge wouldn't make much difference. :lol:

actually it makes a huge difference. surprinsing. with half wedge the wave wants to push you with full wedge it seems the wave wants to suck you down torwards the back of the boat. i need a 247.

If you're saying that now, don't get behind one 'cuz if you do you'll find yourself at the dealer signing the papers. It's that good. :)

Something here does not make sense. I don't care how it attached or actuated, the foil itself is the same. Therefore with the infinately adjustable PW you can attain the best angle. If you are notcing a difference it has to be something else.

Right?

Would a free floating wedge always be adjusting to get the most pull though? So when you hit a wake and the bow goes up, or down a little lower, you will always have it adjusting to find the sweet spot?

I would think that the attitude of the boat would not have any effect as the only thing controlling the angle of the free floating wedge would be speed. Further, even though you feel the bow rise of approaching a large wake, the hull is always in the same position relative to the water, consequently anything attached to the hull would have the same attitude relative to the water. The difference you feel is the change in position of the hull relative to the horizon, not the water.

I would think that the attitude of the boat would not have any effect as the only thing controlling the angle of the free floating wedge would be speed. Further, even though you feel the bow rise of approaching a large wake, the hull is always in the same position relative to the water, consequently anything attached to the hull would have the same attitude relative to the water. The difference you feel is the change in position of the hull relative to the horizon, not the water.

I mean, yea, you're at the same angle to the water directly underneath the boat... but the attitude of the boat affects the amount of pull down the boat has. With a fixed wedge, the pull down would be dependent on the speed of the boat and the angle of the boat. With a non fixed wedge, it will always want to pull down, and adjust so as the bow rises, so you would have a constant pull down. Where with a fixed one, when your boat goes up, you lose the force pulling down.

I guess my point is that the attitude of the boat never changes in relation to the water. Take gravity out of the equation for a second. It does not mater what angle up or down you are going, you are still flat against something. I just can't see how the position of the wedge would change.

Maybe someone can mount an underwater camera and show it in operation, because I am just not seeing it. Logic tells me once the thing goes down, it does not move.

I guess my point is that the attitude of the boat never changes in relation to the water. Take gravity out of the equation for a second. It does not mater what angle up or down you are going, you are still flat against something. I just can't see how the position of the wedge would change.

Maybe someone can mount an underwater camera and show it in operation, because I am just not seeing it. Logic tells me once the thing goes down, it does not move.

Maybe your boat acts much different than mine, But my bow never stays 100% perfectly level with the horizon. Last time I checked, water sits level to the horizon. The surface may change a bit, but the wedge is underwater. So when your bow lifts, the wedge becomes more level to the horizon, and pulls less straight down. Having 100% of the pull straight down would equate to you having the best use of the wedge. If it's pulling towards the back, you're dragging your wedge more than it would be pulling down.

A non fixed wedge would adjust the entire time, and with the angle they mount the wedge at, it will always try to dig deeper into the water, so it will find the sweet spot automatically between pulling down and dragging through the water.

Edited by GoldschlagerVT

I agree- I believe that the key to the free floating wedge is that it may be constantly free floating in the optimal sweet spot independant from what the boat may be doing. It may also foil in the sweet spot relative to speed.

As far as mine I will try to get my surf wake dialed with the advice I have received so far. When refering to the power wedge's position; are we referring to it's maximum range of motion before the computer starts beeping indictating that it's coming up? Or - are people surfing with this thing literally half way up with the alarm on the computer sounding? I'm assuming just it's safe range of motion- so halfway would be halfway on the guage in only the area of the guage that shows it's deployed (referring to the new 07 power wedge guage).

Trentster

I can't advise you on the power wedge, but try playing with the speed. I've found that when surfing if I run more weight than I'm used to, I need to speed up just a little to keep the wake clean. I usually run at either 9.8 or 10, but have sped up to as much as 10.6 with a lot of weight, so playing with that may help get you what you want.

I agree- I believe that the key to the free floating wedge is that it may be constantly free floating in the optimal sweet spot independant from what the boat may be doing. It may also foil in the sweet spot relative to speed.

As far as mine I will try to get my surf wake dialed with the advice I have received so far. When refering to the power wedge's position; are we referring to it's maximum range of motion before the computer starts beeping indictating that it's coming up? Or - are people surfing with this thing literally half way up with the alarm on the computer sounding? I'm assuming just it's safe range of motion- so halfway would be halfway on the guage in only the area of the guage that shows it's deployed (referring to the new 07 power wedge guage).

Trentster

I do believe everyone means as far up as you can get it before it starts beeping to be "halfway up"

One thing I've noticed. I put the wedge all the way down, and then tapp the switch a few times to get it to come back up to half way. If I hold it, it's hard to time it to halfway, and then it ends up going all the way up.... Not sure if it's different on the 07's tho.

Quick revist here -

The 07 wedge I used an incorrect term of "free floating". The wedge does not lock down, but it does seek a lower position constantly. There are two stop positions in the wedge bracket, one for use on Diamond hulls, and one for use on Wake hulls. These stop positions simulate the proper position of the existing standard wedge or pro wedge.

So, unlock it and let it down, it will hold itself against the stop (unless you contact something hard). When done, just pull it up to the stored position.

Peter

Quick revist here -

The 07 wedge I used an incorrect term of "free floating". The wedge does not lock down, but it does seek a lower position constantly. There are two stop positions in the wedge bracket, one for use on Diamond hulls, and one for use on Wake hulls. These stop positions simulate the proper position of the existing standard wedge or pro wedge.

So, unlock it and let it down, it will hold itself against the stop (unless you contact something hard). When done, just pull it up to the stored position.

Peter

I certainly do not have a degree in hyrdrodynamics, but I was certain therw was no way for this thing to swing free AND find the optimum position for downforce.

And my point on your boat always being parrallel to the water seams to be lost. When your bow pitches to go over a wave, the water is no longer parallel to the horison, or it would not be a wave.

I agree that going accross flat water the attitude of the boat can be changed with weight distribution, but the comment above was that this wedge would somehow change postion when going through wakes.