Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Poor Wake on 2016 Malibu 25LSV

Justinww11

16 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

I use the BlackStix Futures fins in my DoomsWell board... I ride duals not quads... the fins will also generate speed when pumped by flexing back and fourth in the water... I prefer the duals over quads because I like a board that is slippery (not locked in) 

I have lent my fins to other board owners that have the future fin box in them and they can tell a huge difference...  They generate speed instantaneously...

@The Hulk If you really want to try aerials, use the 2 fin set up at least.. this will provide you better drive and control.. feet spread apart (rear foot at very back of board, front foot towards very front of pad), build speed with small carves.. ride .25 to .5 way in the wake, knees bent.. turn into wake.. stand.. bring knees up.. then put that grin on as the fins come out of wave :).. 4 fins will increase the drive and  control...  also, I can 360 and 720 with the dual fins. 

You dont flat spin this board like a skimmer though right?  You must go up the wake and around?

Also to go back to the OPs problem. You need more weight.  If ever you feel like the wave isnt big enough and the rub rail is still above the water you need more weight.  That being said, you probably shouldnt start with poor wake on a 25 lsv or youll start this up again cause youve got a damn good wake as is.  Ive been on a G25 with no additional ballast and that thing was fun but Id be lying if I didnt say I wanted to try it again with another 5,000 lbs of ballast especially when I wasnt paying for the gas.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

You dont flat spin this board like a skimmer though right?  You must go up the wake and around?

If I have enough speed I do.. My 3's are at the platform.. I get as far back on the wave as i can.. get low.. charge the wave... close to the platform I dip hand in and rotate.. for 7's I use same technique.. but approach prop wash to break fins for the 7. 

56 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Also to go back to the OPs problem. You need more weight.  If ever you feel like the wave isnt big enough and the rub rail is still above the water you need more weight.  That being said, you probably shouldnt start with poor wake on a 25 lsv or youll start this up again cause youve got a damn good wake as is.  Ive been on a G25 with no additional ballast and that thing was fun but Id be lying if I didnt say I wanted to try it again with another 5,000 lbs of ballast especially when I wasnt paying for the gas.

And less wedge.. IMHO he is using to much wedge as well..

@The Hulk keep up the good fight sir!  There is some genius mixed in with the madness.  

A couple thoughts/observations.  Why a 25' giant wave?  Well as stated us larger guys need more push/power in the wave.  Second recovery, its easier to recover in 25' than 15'...  that extra wave makes a difference.  

As for Ashley Kidd riding closer to the platform, well she also slows the boat WAY down.  Like 10.5 where most are 11.1-11.3.  This gives her more time to do tricks in a given distance as boat is moving slower.   Worlds this year,  wave was big and long... 

I don't necessarily agree with 25' of depth needed, but i would say anything under 15' and you start to lose size/push/shape.  Ridable, but way more work, and some of us don't like to work that hard.

There are those who simply want the peak performance, others are content with less.  However to be fair even moderate performance today, would have been amazing 3 years ago.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2
58 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

As for Ashley Kidd riding closer to the platform, well she also slows the boat WAY down.  Like 10.5 where most are 11.1-11.3.  This gives her more time to do tricks in a given distance as boat is moving slower.   Worlds this year,  wave was big and long... 

I don't necessarily agree with 25' of depth needed, but i would say anything under 15' and you start to lose size/push/shape.  Ridable, but way more work, and some of us don't like to work that hard.

Wakesurf scoring is not like trick skiing where you're trying to hit points per trick.  It's a subjective score based not on the number of tricks but on execution, style, variety, and difficulty.  Not to mention the difference between 10.5 and 11.1 is 5%.  Notwithstanding all of that, the point was no pro rides, or even wants to ride, as far back what people are coaching the OP to do with his wave.  

This thread sounds like being a passenger on y'alls boats must be a real hoot with all the standing around! 

30 years ago the barefooters mocked the skiers, then the skiers mocked the wakeboarders, then the wakeboarders started (understandably) knocking the surfers.  Now surfing has turned into wakeSTANDing.  At this rate people are going to start buying boats merely to provide a wave pool for folks who don't even want to stand on anything anymore.  

Edited by 85 Barefoot
1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

A couple thoughts/observations.  Why a 25' giant wave?  Well as stated us larger guys need more push/power in the wave. 

So youre saying the problem isnt with the wave? 

28 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Wakesurf scoring is not like trick skiing where you're trying to hit points per trick.  It's a subjective score based not on the number of tricks but on execution, style, variety, and difficulty.  Not to mention the difference between 10.5 and 11.1 is 5%.  Notwithstanding all of that, the point was no pro rides, or even wants to ride, as far back what people are coaching the OP to do with his wave.  

This thread sounds like being a passenger on y'alls boats must be a real hoot with all the standing around! 

30 years ago the barefooters mocked the skiers, then the skiers mocked the wakeboarders, then the wakeboarders started (understandably) knocking the surfers.  Now surfing has turned into wakeSTANDing.  At this rate people are going to start buying boats merely to provide a wave pool for folks who don't even want to stand on anything anymore.  

Actually, having taken lessons from THE HEAD JUDGE at this year's event 10 days before the event, i am going to say your mistaken.  

The direction you are given, is to ALWAYS drop back.  Start your tricks from the curl.  Pump forward, then do your air, spin, etc.  Avoid the first few feet beyond the platform.  Drift back and repeat.... 

34 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

This sounds like a conversation I had with a guy wakeboarding with me a few weeks back.  He couldnt clear the wake toe side and was convinced it was because we didnt have enough ballast in the boat and werent riding fast enough.  

2 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

The direction you are given, is to ALWAYS drop back.  Start your tricks from the curl.  Pump forward, then do your air, spin, etc.  Avoid the first few feet beyond the platform.  Drift back and repeat.... 

Interesting, Ive always started my spins just standing in the pocket.  I may need to try getting a little running start. 

• Like 2
Just now, DarkSide said:

Didn't say that, i am saying there is a reason some people like 25 foot long wave aside from "because they can"

Just giving ya s***.  Id like the wave, but just wont invite any of you guys on my boat cause I can only imagine how disappointed yall would be.

48 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Interesting, Ive always started my spins just standing in the pocket.  I may need to try getting a little running start. 

Momentum is your friend, as your skills progress, less momentum is needed.  I still need speed...lol

Note rider drops back and resets!  

Like this... not me riding!

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 3
41 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

My wife finally got her first two 360s on the last two surf runs of the year she finally charged wave a little bit with some forward momentum and was able to stay in the wave after! The more you do it the easier it gets with less forward speed as you get the feeling.. even after a few years of doing them now I'm starting to get the feel of ridingb backwards just for a second but it allows me to keep a little bit more forward momentum moving forward and was able to slow down my spins a bit... I swear it's a great feeling but it just makes me want to get out there more and more when you start nailing hard tricks easier.. I think we're all in a crappy mood as the season comes to an end I know I am!

Edited by The Hulk
50 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Momentum is your friend, as your skills progress, less momentum is needed.  I still need speed...lol

Note rider drops back and resets!  

Like this... not me riding!

Please tell me at Norris that you'll swap me a couple of footing lessons on my boat (with/without a boom) for a couple of surfing lessons behind yours.

25 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Please tell me at Norris that you'll swap me a couple of footing lessons on my boat (with/without a boom) for a couple of surfing lessons behind yours.

Brother man, you are more than welcome to have some ride time...

2 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

On my skim yes... on my wakesurf i get a running start.. especially for the 7's...

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

My wife finally got her first two 360s on the last two surf runs of the year she finally charged wave a little bit with some forward momentum and was able to stay in the wave after! The more you do it the easier it gets with less forward speed as you get the feeling.. even after a few years of doing them now I'm starting to get the feel of ridingb backwards just for a second but it allows me to keep a little bit more forward momentum moving forward and was able to slow down my spins a bit... I swear it's a great feeling but it just makes me want to get out there more and more when you start nailing hard tricks easier.. I think we're all in a crappy mood as the season comes to an end I know I am!

The season ends??? It became more difficult for me (can't launch in my neighborhood anymore and have to put in at main lake and ride to river) but I until February before it is too cold for me.. wait 2 weeks and season starts again :yahoo:

53 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Brother man, you are more than welcome to have some ride time...

I need pics of the DarkDide footing :) .... You will have a great time with it 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

This sounds like a conversation I had with a guy wakeboarding with me a few weeks back.  He couldnt clear the wake toe side and was convinced it was because we didnt have enough ballast in the boat and werent riding fast enough.  

It's a lot easier to clear at 65 off than it is at 80.  I don't add any ballast for wake boarding because I have to go to work on Monday.  Also, unless you are going less than 18 miles an hour the rider should be able to generate all the speed he needs on the cut, shouldn't he?  I have a Murray board the is 150 in length.  You can send it big time on that thing.  The landing kinda sucks for the old guys... being less flexible and all.