Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting my boat all the up on the trailer

trmat79

Hey everyone, 

I'm new here ...mailbu 23LSV and its great...pics to follow but one thing I noticed is that when i drive it up onto the trailer (all the way to the bump stop) and hook up the winch and tighten it everything looks good .......then I pull the truck forward up the ramp and get out and the boat is about 2-3' away from the bump stop......please tell me how to be less of a new guy!!!

50 minutes ago, jrvs23 said:

Your strap may not be wound real tight on the drum so it stretches or the boat slides back until tight. I float mine on then crank it up the last five feet. No power loading and everything is tight and straight.

Interesting thought.  I sometimes have this issue as well.  Perhaps it is because the trailer was too deep, and the winch wasn't really used to pull the boat on the trailer.  I always thought of that as a good thing as I am not dragging it across the bunks.  But maybe you are right and need to really use the winch the last couple of feet to take the "slack" out of the strap.....

From my experience having a too steep ramp is what causes the boat to slide back.  When it’s steep, the back of the boat is floating high and then when you pull forward the boat slides back. So what you have to do is pull forward a few feet and then crank it up again and hopefully it stays 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone...this was not a problem the day we took delivery of the boat....but the lake level has come up since then a little bit so maybe that is the case.....I will try what you guys have suggested..thanks again.....

What else do I need to know that I don't already know?? 

Great boat! once I figure out how to post pictures I'll put some up

Also trying having your trailer not so far in the water. Cranking the boat in the last 6 inches or so is probably best. That way you don’t have to worry about accidentally floating over the trailer or something. 

A fisherman talked me into winching my boat up. I had always power loaded it. Never power loaded since. Mine will fall back a bit too, so I pull the truck up just two feet or so after the first crank, then crank again. I also put some soap on the bunks before winching to reduce friction. Seems to help.

Steve B.

Edited by Steve B.
correction

I think the issue may be the angle of the boat comparied to the trailer when you first tighten the strap.  When you pull the boat out on to the trailer that angle changes giving you a little more strap.

Edited by phinz

Pay attention to how much the fenders over the tires are out of the water. For me around 3 inches. On steeper ramps 6 inches. The angle of the ramp will determine where you need to be. 

Edited by foxriverat
  • Like 3
22 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

If you can easily float all the way to the bow roller you’re too deep. 

Agreed.  Mine floats until its 3-5' (depending on ramp angle) from the roller then I winch it on.  Power works too but I prefer the winch. 

• Like 2

Probably too deep with the trailer. It took me a while to realize when I got the boat its best to back all the way in until all bunks are wet then pull up until the tops of the fenders are out of the water. As long as you aren't too deep you can push the boat onto the trailer without the back swinging to the side and hitting the trailer with your prop. At first I was kinda scared to do it this way and would float the boat on but that causes the bow stop problem and it's a gamble weather it will be straight or not. Don't be the guy that has to back down the ramp 4 times to get the boat straight it's embarrassing. 

On a side note what lake are you on @trmat79 ? I have one boat by Allatoona and the other in central GA. 

10 minutes ago, robbennett said:

Probably too deep with the trailer. It took me a while to realize when I got the boat its best to back all the way in until all bunks are wet then pull up until the tops of the fenders are out of the water. As long as you aren't too deep you can push the boat onto the trailer without the back swinging to the side and hitting the trailer with your prop. At first I was kinda scared to do it this way and would float the boat on but that causes the bow stop problem and it's a gamble weather it will be straight or not. Don't be the guy that has to back down the ramp 4 times to get the boat straight it's embarrassing. 

On a side note what lake are you on @trmat79 ? I have one boat by Allatoona and the other in central GA. 

I keep it at highland marina resort on west point lake....we live on the south side so that is the easiest lake without dealing with Atlanta traffic

5 minutes ago, trmat79 said:

I keep it at highland marina resort on west point lake....we live on the south side so that is the easiest lake without dealing with Atlanta traffic

Makes sense. I'm a little burnt out with driving through both ends of the city to get to the lake so looking at a place on Sinclair maybe. Allatoona is getting crazy crowded though it's still not as bad as Lanier

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:16 AM, Steve B. said:

A fisherman talked me into winching my boat up. I had always power loaded it. Never power loaded since. Mine will fall back a bit too, so I pull the truck up just two feet or so after the first crank, then crank again. I also put some soap on the bunks before winching to reduce friction. Seems to help.

Steve B.

What was is case for not power loading?

Cant say i have ever had a slack problem. I always float till about 3to 5 feet from the bow stop as well then wench. I went out to west point a few times this summer. I stay close to the west point dam since i live in harris county. I camped and boated this summer at the campground close to the dam. 

I have tried to winch it on, But My Daughter loves backing the trailer down, ( Puts most of her Guy Friends to shame lol) But honestly she does not have the strength to winch it up the last 3' or so, So I just do a quick bump as she cranks to help her out, Should I go deeper to make it easier to winch? I have her dip the trailer so all the bunks are wet and then just the front fender of the trailer sticking out of the water, about 3" exposed, 

2 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

I have tried to winch it on, But My Daughter loves backing the trailer down, ( Puts most of her Guy Friends to shame lol) But honestly she does not have the strength to winch it up the last 3' or so, So I just do a quick bump as she cranks to help her out, Should I go deeper to make it easier to winch? I have her dip the trailer so all the bunks are wet and then just the front fender of the trailer sticking out of the water, about 3" exposed, 

If you're  driving just make sure you're straight and power load it.  If the trailer is at the right depth it doesn't take much power.  You dont wsnt to get too deep because then the boat can get crooked and come out if the water funny or hit the prop. Wetting bunks will help them last longer. Most experienced inboard guys I know always power load.

I don't because often I back the trailer and my wife or friend brings the boat. Me winching is safer than a less experienced driver power loading my boat.  I'm pretty proud that I've taught several people how to be safe and quick on the ramp and even if i have an inexperienced helper were still on and off in a jiffy.  

For my trailer the best depth seems to be when the boat will float about 3 or 4 feet from the bow roller.  Then I need a little power or winch to get the rest. 

Edited by Gavin17
  • Like 1