Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 Supra SL & 2018 Malibu 23LSV

NorrisMike

1 hour ago, kerpluxal said:

This is my opinion and I am sure everyone else would have a different one. That is why I always stress demo and see for yourself ;)

For the price point the Supra is does not have the amenities of the Malibu. 

Tank gauges are on timers and are an estimate. Piggyback a bag, change your timers. Change piggyback bag size and back to adjusting timers again.  

I prefer the dash on the Malibu and do not like the Supra at all. It seems to me that Supra technology in this area is 4 years behind Malibu and Nautique.

I prefer the wedge to the wake plate. For me I can change the shape of the wake/wave on the fly for different rider levels.

I prefer the cabin space in the LSV (more room in cabin, less room in bow) than the cabin space in the Supra. 

For the riding experience, they are very similar in wake/wave to me (minus the adjustability of the wedge) in transition and firmness.

Just my 2 cents.

This is my opinion and I am sure everyone else would have a different one. That is why I always stress demo and see for yourself ;) Yes, I agree.  A demo will make or break a decision.

For the price point the Supra is does not have the amenities of the Malibu.  in-floor storage/cooler, PTM power tower, two 2-way Jabsco ballast pumps per tank, dual sub woofers, same PTM racks, awesome bimini setup, batteries in the bow, flip back seat, trash compartment, heated/electric captain seat .... and More!  LOL (all standard stuff on a Supra).  What am I missing?  

Tank gauges are on timers and are an estimate. Piggyback a bag, change your timers. Change piggyback bag size and back to adjusting timers again.  The new SL has all hard subfloor ballast - no piggy backing and no bags. 

I prefer the dash on the Malibu and do not like the Supra at all. It seems to me that Supra technology in this area is 4 years behind Malibu and Nautique. I really like the newer Malibu dash.  The previous dash system I was not a fan of at all.  I do like how Supra also gives switches for everything.  

I prefer the wedge to the wake plate. For me I can change the shape of the wake/wave on the fly for different rider levels. I think Malibu has the best surf system and I love the wedge.  A demo will determine if Supra has made improvements in this department. 

I prefer the cabin space in the LSV (more room in cabin, less room in bow) than the cabin space in the Supra. Me too!  This new SL offers a nice balance. Similar to the LSV but with a slightly larger bow. The extra 5" length adds a little too. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

I think the mc looks good but it does seem kind of odd having all those finishings on the "outside" of the boat.  My 2004 gets smacked in the butt by our own wave every time we stop surfing to pick up our rider.  If i had those seats they would get soaked repeatedly.  Is that not an issue on new boats because of increased freeboard?  

The trunk storage area is kind of cool. Does that mean you can remove a trunk divider and have more access to the rear of the engine for service?  Any modern boat owners change an impeller yet?  My engine is inches from my transom. 

Good question about the possibility of a truck divider.  That would be cool and make things easier.  

1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Short version is that autowake is for people that know absolutely nothing about boat setup for surfing. It helps in that scenario.

For any scenario that involves people that know how to setup, and even out the crew..... it is a downside, and you will want to turn it off.

It sounds a little gimmicky and I honestly haven't even inquired about it.  I did hear about it at the dealer.  The upside is you can turn it off!  Surfgate for the WIN

• Like 1

I like Malibu's new steering wheel with the stationary control hub.  What does everyone think about the stock sub woofer setup?  Both Malibu and Supra (and others) have molded in sub spots now.  It takes away the fun of building a custom box and installing a gigantic sub!!  Do the stock subs perform alright? 

Screen_Shot_2017_09_15_at_10_05_55_PM.pn

1 hour ago, NorrisMike said:

I like Malibu's new steering wheel with the stationary control hub.  What does everyone think about the stock sub woofer setup?  Both Malibu and Supra (and others) have molded in sub spots now.  It takes away the fun of building a custom box and installing a gigantic sub!!  Do the stock subs perform alright? 

Screen_Shot_2017_09_15_at_10_05_55_PM.pn

I've been in 2 17's and both left something to be desired out of the stock set ups as far as subs go. 

Neither had been adjusted outside the factory tune tho...

2 hours ago, NorrisMike said:

Come on bro, you can do better than that! Your reply lacks effort...  

The couch area on the Supra SL is actually a pretty cool. You can fit multiple boards in there, ropes, wet vests, etc.  The Malibu had a couple shallow plastic trays for maybe storing sun tan lotion, wet gloves, lube.... :blush: The Bu couch seats and hinges felt very flimsy and cheap to me too. 

Screen_Shot_2017_09_15_at_11_55_17_AM.pn

Do you like MC's lounge seating configuration?

353948_p_t_640x480_image11.jpg

Lacks effort??  Surely you jest!  The only thing lacking effort in this thread is that sorry excuse for transom seating that Supra is putting out. It's nothing more than a hard, shallow bench. If they were pricing their boats like MB or Axis (same setup), then I wouldn't be so critical.  But when you're charging Big 3 money you gotta try harder.  

The X23 transom seats are well built, but poorly designed. Only works for two people, and who wants to sit in a hole (seat bottoms aren't level)?  Plus they are sooooo big they destroy the entire sun pad / locker openings. 

Finally I'd sooner put one of my kids in that hole than my $1,000 Soulcraft. Why are people so enamored with surf board storage in places like this?  I guess they just hate their gear. :dontknow:

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Finally I'd sooner put one of my kids in that hole than my $1,000 Soulcraft. Why are people so enamored with surf board storage in places like this?  I guess they just hate their gear. :dontknow:

Im actually looking at a tige with the same locker design right now.  I would only put a board in there while inside a padded board bag with towels surrounding. I was also thinking it would make a really good ski locker 

7 hours ago, IXFE said:

Lacks effort??  Surely you jest!  The only thing lacking effort in this thread is that sorry excuse for transom seating that Supra is putting out. It's nothing more than a hard, shallow bench. If they were pricing their boats like MB or Axis (same setup), then I wouldn't be so critical.  But when you're charging Big 3 money you gotta try harder.  

The X23 transom seats are well built, but poorly designed. Only works for two people, and who wants to sit in a hole (seat bottoms aren't level)?  Plus they are sooooo big they destroy the entire sun pad / locker openings. 

Have you ever sat in the transom lounge seats on a X23 or X26?? They are the absolute most comfortable seats I have ever sat in, in a boat. The fact that they are leaned back, is the whole point of the "lounge" option. They are like sitting in a recliner. Not to mention, the standard rear seating option is a regular flat bottom rear seat. You can get them either way....... if I was ordering again, I'd definitely get the lounge again. Not to mention, they are safer if you do actually sit back there. You are leaned right back sitting into the seat, and there is dual grab handles to hold on to. They hold you nice and secure.

That said, for what they are used for, I think Malibu, Supra, and MC all make rear lounges that are good enough for what's needed. 

As for board storage...... I completely agree with you. I'll put cheap beginner boards in my compartments sometimes, but that's it. A compartment is a terrible place to store them. It just beats them up.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, NorrisMike said:

Please elaborate more.  If the used pool is small, wouldn't that be a good thing?  

There are very few buyers in the used market for these boats. I have two buddies that have had he luxury of buying new Supra's and both have struggled to sell the boats, and they are buying at dealer cost......Please don't misinterpret this as me thinking this is not a great boat. They are just hard to sell if/when that day comes.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, IXFE said:

I'd stick the SC board in the bimini.  But all the other boards, skis, vests, ropes, etc would go in the transom locker.  Seems very convenient. 

"But when you're charging Big 3 money you gotta try harder."  Can you please elaborate more on this? What am I missing?  What is the Supra lacking compared to the big 3?

6 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Have you considered a centurion?

I have!  Are they considered in the BIG 3 now?  @IXFE ?  They are pretty pricey these days.

They are VERY nice boats.  I actually got to demo @DarkSide new boat.  I've never seen anything like it.  Everything about it was supersized, including the surf wave!  The surf wave is MASSIVE with great shape and crazy push.  Boat interior was on point and had many features that I liked.  

That said, we don't have a local dealer here. 

1 hour ago, NorrisMike said:

I have!  Are they considered in the BIG 3 now?  @IXFE ?  They are pretty pricey these days.

It depends on what parameters you'd use to rate the manufacturers...units manufactured? Units registered? 

Just curious, but who told you Supra turned down 200 boats last year?  

14 hours ago, Fman said:

Imho...The Big 3 not only have brand recognition but they have a stronger dealer network as well.  More dealers across the region.  The closest dealer to me is 2 hours away which is a huge deterrent for me ever buying a skiers choice product.

KIA and Hyundai build nice cars these days, but they don't get the resale love that Honda, Toyota or even Nissan have.  That is how I have always viewed Supra, MB and Centurion.  I think on resale you have a much higher risk of taking a bigger hit on those 3 compared to Malibu,MC or Nautique.  I'm not saying they don't build a quality product but brand recognition is huge.

OP is in Knoxville.  Malibu, Mastercraft, and Skier's Choice are all in the metro area, 30-45 minutes from downtown.  Resale isn't too much of an issue around here, Supra's are pretty popular.  So while that may be true for you and most of the country, for the OP, I would argue that the situation is a bit different.  A friend of mine (I'm also in Knoxville) bought a Moomba Craz because of the dealer.  He liked the Axis T23 a little more, but had had some sort of bad experience with the closest dealer, and the other option to him (dealer) was too far away.

That said, am I the only one who finds the newer Supras to be just flat out ugly?  Something about their bow that I just can't help but find really ugly.

28 minutes ago, 67King said:

That said, am I the only one who finds the newer Supras to be just flat out ugly?  Something about their bow that I just can't help but find really ugly.

I really like the newer Supra boats too, but they do have a bit of a whale look to them.  I don't know what it is, but my wife and I don't like the front end either.  Really nice boats, just not for me.

1 hour ago, tjklein said:

I really like the newer Supra boats too, but they do have a bit of a whale look to them.  I don't know what it is, but my wife and I don't like the front end either.  Really nice boats, just not for me.

It is like the boating equivalent of a spork.  Not really a picklefork, but not quite a conventional bow.  Somewhere in between.  But yeah, otherwise they are nice boats.  And my friend's Craz looks really nice.

5 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Nice video. What does that have to do with this thread? Is he surfing behind one of the two boats being discussed?

It's allegedly the new SL.  I think that is one of Supra's team riders.

7 hours ago, jwl019 said:

I think my deciding factor between the two would be which boat does not require a bag on top of the seats in the bow and still have a nice wave.

I just Demoed the new 18 23 LSV and that was on my list, I hate running a bow bag, And the new 23 did great without one! 

• Like 2