Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 T22 Build

Raimie

On 9/11/2017 at 6:23 PM, Raimie said:

Today I said goodbye to my 14 T22. Mixed emotions for sure, we all really loved that boat. Lots of tears shed by my kiddos...it is hard to sell a boat with a 4 & 6 year old around...here is my little guy hugging the boat one last time.

So, now the build process can start on a new one! Here is what I'm thinking so far...

IMG_20170911_111421343_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170909_080112285_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170909_075851262.jpg

Vapor all day long

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:35 AM, Raimie said:

Getting the build narrowed down...

Still torn between blue and vapor blue.

build.jpg

CS Mooring Cover and Bimini with surf/rope storage.

Base motor (409)

SP1 plus bow speakers

White tower

Surf Pipe, Surfgates, Power Wedge II

Spinner Racks

3 outlet heater - will add additional 4th vent using the 'y' adapter

Softgrip flooring

Ski Pylon

Depth finder

2nd battery w/switch

Entry Ladder

Cleats

Trailer: Alloy wheels, spare tire, white with elite shield coating

Things I will add later...

Soft grip on top deck. Will order gray to match floor from GatorStep and install myself.

SS Cupholders - Will order aftermarket from Amazon

Seat Riser

Sub/amp - maybe

Still deciding...

Tower Quick release latch - I only lower the tower for winter, willing to pass for budget

Prop -  not sure what prop yet...hoping to have some feedback from the crew before I order - Leaning towards base prop based on Anderson24 running @ 4k RPMs with the torque prop. More info needed, however.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Raimie said:

SP1 plus bow speakers

3 outlet heater - will add additional 4th vent using the 'y' adapter

Things I will add later...

Sub/amp - maybe

Still deciding...

Tower Quick release latch - I only lower the tower for winter, willing to pass for budget

Prop -  not sure what prop yet...hoping to have some feedback from the crew before I order - Leaning towards base prop based on Anderson24 running @ 4k RPMs with the torque prop. More info needed, however.

Bow speakers add next to nothing.  If you forego you won't miss them.  

Re the heater ... be warned that the way that malibu installs the pull out vents in the walkway will significantly interfere with your options for a sub.  Sealed 10 or 12 is fine, but the vents make a ported 12 much more difficult.

the QR latch is pretty cheap isn't it?  I'd just buy it.  Makes folding the tower really easy.

At your altitude, I'd go acme 2277 or 2279.  Probably 2277 tho.  I have the 2279 at 4000' and it's about perfect, so have no doubt you can get away with more cup at lower altitude.

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

Re the heater ... be warned that the way that malibu installs the pull out vents in the walkway will significantly interfere with your options for a sub.  Sealed 10 or 12 is fine, but the vents make a ported 12 much more difficult.

the QR latch is pretty cheap isn't it?  I'd just buy it.  Makes folding the tower really easy.

At your altitude, I'd go acme 2277 or 2279.  Probably 2277 tho.  I have the 2279 at 4000' and it's about perfect, so have no doubt you can get away with more cup at lower altitude.

The 2018s have the heaters tubes installed in the drivers seat base.  There is a fixed vent in the sub area but out of the way. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

With the speaker placement on the '18 moving one cabin speaker by the driver, you are probably right. I was more concerned how it would look without them since that is now fiberglass panels (I think). I didn't have them on my 14 and it looked fine with the textured vinyl in that location.

The heater pullouts have moved to under the driver seat.

I think MSRP was $229. I will probably leave it in.

Appreciate the input on the prop. The 2273 is the torque prop option from the factory.

Edited by Raimie
6 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

2273 would be perfect.  I guess I missed that the drive shaft went from 1 1/8 to 1 1/4?

The 6.0 needs to be wound out a bit more than the 5.7 as the meat of the torque curve is a bit higher.

My only concern is that is the prop @Anderson24 is running and he was at 4k rpms...

That’s how things go if you run heavy with the 1.72 tranny. Less weight will keep rpms down as will bow weight.

arse heavy and or lots of wedge with bow to the sky you have to spin more rpms to get the boat moving fed through the water because the prop shaft is at a more aggressive angle. I ran a more aggressive prop before this one and rpms weren’t really much different.  Biggest factor in bringing down rpms is balancing the boat front to back, not the prop.

I hit 41 mph with the 2279 at shasta (at redline) so it has plenty of top end. The 6.0 is a higher revving motor too. I wouldn’t get to hung up on an arbitrary rpm number. 

• 2 weeks later...

^Great write up^   I'm going in next week to take a hard look at these boats and this helps with some of the things I need to pay attention to. Thanks for all the details and pics are awesome!  Congrats!!

ahopkins22LSV

The new interiors of the Axis lineup are fantastic. Much better materials and well put together. I was with @Raimie to test that T22 yesterday and we were both very impressed. Also I didn't do a full sweep of the boat but we took the shipping cover off and helped prep it for the lake demo. So we were in and out of it a lot. Boat was is great shape from the factory. New gel lines are awesome and it performed great on the water. I didn't surf because I had the baby with me but messed around with the dash while and really liked it. Home run for axis imo. And for the price it's basically impossible to beat right now. T22 would be my surf boat if we were not skiers :biggrin:

Congrats on the order and I'll help take delivery in the spring if you want :) 

19 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

@Raimie you can definitely definitely definitely get away with the taller prop.  The 2249 is too much and really offers zero advantage that I have found (running heavier than you did in your demo, and at altitude).

I'm confused... I believe the 2249 is standard and I know the 2773 is the high altitude/torque prop option. I'm not sure I'm following what you are saying Shawn. @shawndoggy

Edited by Raimie
corrected prop number on the high altitude
2 hours ago, Raimie said:

I'm confused... I believe the 2249 is standard and I know the 2273 is the high altitude/torque prop option. I'm not sure I'm following what you are saying Shawn. @shawndoggy

2277 = taller. 

On the 1.72, the 2249 performs a lot like a 2315 would've on the 1.5:1 transmission.  I've tried both.  The only advantage I could see with the 2249 is if you are wakeboarding super heavy and need to get over that 14-17 mph hump (maybe... hypothetically).  Hole shot is slightly less at my alt., but not "slow" by any means, just not "dislocate your shoulders" hard.  Honestly at 4000' it's about perfect for wakeboarding with moderate ballast/peeps or skiing with no ballast and 3-6 in the boat.

But for surfing, if you are gonna "hit the wall" it's going to be at the same speed with both, just with about 300 rpms higher with the 2249.  At your altitude, it's just overkill (IMHO, YMMV, etc etc).  The boat will not go faster with the more aggressive prop, it'll just spin higher rpms.

(obviously my experience is on the "old" hull, but with similar drivetrain)

23 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

2277 = taller. 

On the 1.72, the 2249 performs a lot like a 2315 would've on the 1.5:1 transmission.  I've tried both.  The only advantage I could see with the 2249 is if you are wakeboarding super heavy and need to get over that 14-17 mph hump (maybe... hypothetically).  Hole shot is slightly less at my alt., but not "slow" by any means, just not "dislocate your shoulders" hard.  Honestly at 4000' it's about perfect for wakeboarding with moderate ballast/peeps or skiing with no ballast and 3-6 in the boat.

But for surfing, if you are gonna "hit the wall" it's going to be at the same speed with both, just with about 300 rpms higher with the 2249.  At your altitude, it's just overkill (IMHO, YMMV, etc etc).  The boat will not go faster with the more aggressive prop, it'll just spin higher rpms.

(obviously my experience is on the "old" hull, but with similar drivetrain)

Ok, got it. But, the 2249 is the base prop. 2277 isn't an option.