Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 T22 Build

Raimie

ahopkins22LSV
8 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

@Raimie is that a service bay or the showroom floor? Very clean boat regardless nice work! Congrats!

It’s their prep area. 

The vapor looks great on the new T22 lines. Will look great in the blue water of the channels :)

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Spent a few hours working on engine break-in this morning. A few things I have noticed so far...

1. The seat pivot handle has moved. This was a degradation to the pivot feature. The pivot handle on my '14 was an easy left handed operation, now its located way underneath and you push it down which is awkward. Going to take some getting used to.

2. The head unit is pretty bad. I was trying not to be biased about it from what others have said on there, but I find it very difficult to work with. I am constantly turning on scan unintentionally, and it seems like there will be a pretty painful learning curve... I hope to upgrade it to the WS1 at some point, but that is not going to happen anytime soon.

3. The depth alarm is obnoxiously loud when pulling on a hoist. Just need to get used to that or change the settings on it.

4. The throttle is very sensitive compared to my '14. I like it, just pointing out the difference. 

5. I haven't spent much time on it, but I already miss the toggle switches. Not a big fan of the soft-touch buttons.

6. The manual says you can push the ballast buttons twice for 1/2 fill, 3rd time for empty. Mine aren't like that. Once for fill, a second time drains. Maybe this feature was removed?

7. GatorStep floor is amazing. I love it. It feels great on your feet, isn't hot to the touch and dries very quickly. When my boat was delivered, the floor was pretty dirty and it cleaned up perfectly with a little dawn, soft bristle brush and warm water. This is such a highlight on the new boat.

8. The OEM mooring cover is really nice. The improvements since the '14 are plentiful. Very happy with this cover.

9. Storage areas aren't finished gel coat. In my '14 the storage areas were finished gel, which would get scuffed up depending on what you put in there. I prefer the unfinished.

10. Automatic blower is nice. Blower comes on when the key is turned on. That is a nice feature.

11. The 'shelf' into the bow area kinda sucks. I have hit my shins on it both times I was covering my boat. On the Axis forum a user had some gatorstep made for that area, I plan to place an order for those pieces as well.

12. I seem to have less control over the boat in reverse. Not sure if this is related to our high water/faster current or maybe just the spring learning curve? It just seems like the boat isn't behaving how I am expecting it when maneuvering onto my hoist. More to come on that...

13. New tower is nice. Seems like less to bang elbows on. No bruises yet, so that is good.

14. The 409 is impressive compared to the 330. I haven't added ballast yet, but it sure has a lot more get up and go.

5 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Reverse differences could be because of the different prop too. 

Beautiful boat though!

Ya good point and thanks! Looking forward to seeing her on the water. So far I have always been inside the boat.

On 5/21/2018 at 4:43 PM, Raimie said:

6. The manual says you can push the ballast buttons twice for 1/2 fill, 3rd time for empty. Mine aren't like that. Once for fill, a second time drains. Maybe this feature was removed?

Mine is the same way.  I wish there were some light or alarm that would flash when half full and completely full.  I guess we have to step up to a Malibu for stuff like that!

12. I seem to have less control over the boat in reverse. Not sure if this is related to our high water/faster current or maybe just the spring learning curve? It just seems like the boat isn't behaving how I am expecting it when maneuvering onto my hoist. More to come on that...

I completely agree - my last boat handled much better in reverse although it wasn't a V-drive.  It's been awhile but if I recall my direct drive handled better in reverse also.  Not a big deal.

21 hours ago, Wavemaker said:

I completely agree - my last boat handled much better in reverse although it wasn't a V-drive.  It's been awhile but if I recall my direct drive handled better in reverse also.  Not a big deal.

My DD handled better but I believe that was due to the smaller size and very little draft. I haven't had a chance to mess around with it much more....hopefully Monday I'll be surfing!

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Got in a few sets behind the new boat. Surf wave is fantastic. There are definite improvements over my '14. Typically I would only surf the port side running against the current on the river I am on, but with the '18, the wave seems to have the same push/meat running either way. Starboard is awesome either way (same as my '14). Looking forward to more time to play with the setup, but this is what I settled in on this weekend...

All ballast full (750's in the rear), wedge at position 4, speed 11.0, driver and 65lb spotter. I did not need to list to the surf side or add any additional ballast. Really excited to see what I can get out of this wave with a little additional ballast (or people).

5b1dc30745ef0_2018T22goofy.thumb.jpg.c106cf79b5b6b6e2fb0dbfb4f2009c61.jpg

For fun I tested getting the boat up to wakeboard speed fully loaded but without the wedge. The 409 had no issues getting up to speed. I'll have to test out the lift feature to see how that helps too!

Lift mode helps tremendously getting up to wakeboarding speed. Were the 750's full?

22 hours ago, st22eve said:

Lift mode helps tremendously getting up to wakeboarding speed. Were the 750's full?

Yes. They fill the locker up pretty well. Just a couple inches left on top.

58 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Yes. They fill the locker up pretty well. Just a couple inches left on top.

I run the 550's and have about 4-6" left 😁

I have the 1100's and the push the rear cup holders out if completely full but in our limited time out we have had them about 80% full.  I want to add more bow weight and fill the rears but the newborn has been making it hard to get out and experiment. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

Lift mode is only for wakeboard speeds. so it wont help at surf speeds. 

Pretty sure the factory used to use lift mode on m235 surf demos. Not sure if they still do or not. 

15 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Pretty sure the factory used to use lift mode on m235 surf demos. Not sure if they still do or not. 

I use lift for every surf launch too and it’s a noticeable improvement in rpms and time to get up to speed.

So you set it to lift, then manual set the position once you are at surf speed?

AUTO WEDGE: Auto wedge will automatically move the wedge from Lift to a user-selected Wedge 1 thru 6 position when speed goes above 17 mph. This function only works in wakeboard speeds. It will return to Lift when the speed drops below 15 mph.

14 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

So you set it to lift, then manual set the position once you are at surf speed?

Yes, I do it manually. Just takes a quick tap on the screen right about when the speed control kicks in.