Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 T22 Build

Raimie

53 minutes ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

These are the factory prop options. 

Standard = 15 x 1425 - 2249

Upgrades = 15 x 13 - 2773 and 15 x 1575 - 2277

@shawndoggy, which do you recommend? I was running 4k ballast in my '14, hopefully can go a little less on the '18. I'm not running at elevation either. Also thinking pw2 will be helping with getting on plane.

Edited by Raimie

I'd think the 2277 would be fine.  I'm using the 2279, which has a little less cup than the 2277.  works well for me at my altitude, and when we were down at shasta last summer (800') the boat pulled like a freight train.

7 hours ago, teamerickson said:

The tranny is 1.72? 

I use the 2277 in my 17 23LSV and I’m pretty happy with it. I use the 2249 if I go to altitude. 

The lift mode for the PW2 doesn’t really work for surfing. 

Thanks! Ya, 1.72 tranny. I am thinking I will get the 2249 with the boat (included in base price) and pick up a 2277 as my spare. That way I can try them both and would have a good option either way.

How much weight/crew do you typically run in your 23 @teamerickson?

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I'd think the 2277 would be fine.  I'm using the 2279, which has a little less cup than the 2277.  works well for me at my altitude, and when we were down at shasta last summer (800') the boat pulled like a freight train.

What would the difference be between running the 2277 and the 2279?

3 hours ago, Raimie said:

Thanks! Ya, 1.72 tranny. I am thinking I will get the 2249 with the boat (included in base price) and pick up a 2277 as my spare. That way I can try them both and would have a good option either way.

How much weight/crew do you typically run in your 23 @teamerickson?

~3000 surfing, 3 adults plus wedge. The 2277 handles it fine. Surfing is not the hard part it's wakeboarding. The 2277 will even handle all that weight wakeboarding. That's where PW2 really shines.

55 minutes ago, Raimie said:

What would the difference be between running the 2277 and the 2279?

probably 100-150 rpms at 28mph?  Not much to be honest.  The 2279 is slightly more aggro than the 2277.

we have a half hour cruise each way to our preferred ride spot.  With the 2279 we can go 26 and keep it under 4k rpms.  The 2249 is at 4k at 24.

On November 27, 2017 at 11:08 AM, shawndoggy said:

probably 100-150 rpms at 28mph?  Not much to be honest.  The 2279 is slightly more aggro than the 2277.

we have a half hour cruise each way to our preferred ride spot.  With the 2279 we can go 26 and keep it under 4k rpms.  The 2249 is at 4k at 24.

I am at sea level (40') on a very very small lake.  No cruising at all and I will want to get to surf wake speed as quickly as possible (and of course to keep it with the lowest RPM possible) Primarily surfing with some wake boarding and tubing.  Prop advice?  2249, 2277 or 2773? Will be a 2018 T22

Edited by Wavemaker
wrong prop number

2249 will have better holeshot and get you to speed faster.  And will have higher cruising rpms.  2773 will definitely work, but won't have quite the jump out of the hole.  On a small lake where cruising isn't important, assuming you plan to load the boat heavy frequently, I guess I might go 2249.  Really depends how much you prioritize "as quickly as possible" over "with the lowest RPM possible."  Those two are mutually exclusive, and each prop compromises one for the other.

I wouldn't go 2279 at your altitude.

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

2249 will have better holeshot and get you to speed faster.  And will have higher cruising rpms.  2773 will definitely work, but won't have quite the jump out of the hole.  On a small lake where cruising isn't important, assuming you plan to load the boat heavy frequently, I guess I might go 2249.  Really depends how much you prioritize "as quickly as possible" over "with the lowest RPM possible."  Those two are mutually exclusive, and each prop compromises one for the other.

I wouldn't go 2279 at your altitude.

Thank you very much - I corrected 2279 to 2277 but I'm guessing that doesn't make a big difference in your recommendation since they are very similar.  I'll probably have to sacrifice rpm's for a quicker hole shot and quicker to speed since I'll have only about 3 minutes of surfing and will then have to turn around. 

Great discussion, thanks!

Now another topic... so I know it's old school, but I liked having a cd player on the boat. I had a few mp3 discs and some mix cds I left in the boat. My mom/driver who is not tech savy AT ALL could change music while she puts up with me surfing for an hour or more. The 2018s don't have that (I believe its been gone for a while) So, what is the best way to setup playlists for a usb drive to make it easy for her? I have never really gotten into music on my phone, but maybe that is a good solution as well?

I have 0 experience with the infinity headunit. We didn't even turn on the stereo on the demo, just didn't have time to mess with it.

I'd rather not spend money on this, but I also wondered if going back to a headunit with the cd player (like in the '14) is a feasible option?

Edited by Raimie

The stock location on a new Axis doesnt allow for CD type head unit. The brain of the system is under the glove box and all you see at the dash is the remote display. Im actually going to have to make a different trim panel for my 17' for the new wetsounds unit. So unless you wanted to remote 6 disk setup tucked away Id think a flash drive is way easier. Most of the time I run spotify or pandora via bluetooth or usb and thats it. I also have a ton of music on my 128gb iphone 7 plus. I would think integrating cds would be a pain. For what its worth I am ripping out a brand new stereo in a boat with 20 hours because I hated it so much. My wife says Im "never" satisfied.  

15 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Great discussion, thanks!

Now another topic... so I know it's old school, but I liked having a cd player on the boat. I had a few mp3 discs and some mix cds I left in the boat. My mom/driver who is not tech savy AT ALL could change music while she puts up with me surfing for an hour or more. The 2018s don't have that (I believe its been gone for a while) So, what is the best way to setup playlists for a usb drive to make it easy for her? I have never really gotten into music on my phone, but maybe that is a good solution as well?

I have 0 experience with the infinity headunit. We didn't even turn on the stereo on the demo, just didn't have time to mess with it.

I'd rather not spend money on this, but I also wondered if going back to a headunit with the cd player (like in the '14) is a feasible option?

I can't help you on the boat side of things... I can say that I have used Apple Music since they released it and I love it. I am somewhat tech savvy and I love music. It is very easy to use and very easy to make playlists and shuffle them or however you would like to play them. If you have an IPhone then I would definitely suggest giving it a try, I think they have a 1 month free trial. It is right around $10 a month for a single person or you can get the family plan for $15 a month for up to 7 people. I have the family membership, my wife and I use it along with both of my parents(in their 60's) and 2 of my brothers. They all love it and have found it very easy to use. They also have premade playlists for several activities(workout, party, etc). I haven't found one for "lake" or "surfing" so I have been forced to make my own... Bummer! ha

Hope this helps

4 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Raime, why not just rip your CD to a playlist and put that on your phone?  Connect via bluetooth and there ya go.

You make it sound so easy. Do I just copy the mp3s over the phone and the playlist file...I forget the extension of those?

4 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

I can't help you on the boat side of things... I can say that I have used Apple Music since they released it and I love it. I am somewhat tech savvy and I love music. It is very easy to use and very easy to make playlists and shuffle them or however you would like to play them. If you have an IPhone then I would definitely suggest giving it a try, I think they have a 1 month free trial. It is right around $10 a month for a single person or you can get the family plan for $15 a month for up to 7 people. I have the family membership, my wife and I use it along with both of my parents(in their 60's) and 2 of my brothers. They all love it and have found it very easy to use. They also have premade playlists for several activities(workout, party, etc). I haven't found one for "lake" or "surfing" so I have been forced to make my own... Bummer! ha

Hope this helps

Thanks for the input. I am an Android owner, however. Additionally, my mom still uses a flip phone, so I'm not sure how she will be about finding and changing playlists on my phone...

3 minutes ago, Raimie said:

You make it sound so easy. Do I just copy the mp3s over the phone and the playlist file...I forget the extension of those?

I'm apple, not android, but I assume that you have some kind of music/file manager for android that allows you to create a playlist or folder full of files on the phone?

It really should be that easy.  

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

I'm apple, not android, but I assume that you have some kind of music/file manager for android that allows you to create a playlist or folder full of files on the phone?

It really should be that easy.  

I have never messed with it :blush: If anyone has any suggestions for Android apps to handle music, I appreciate it!

I know absolutely nothing about Android. Some may say I drink the Apple koolaid... Haha

I would imagine they have Spotify/Pandora on Android. You could try those. Its is as simply as touching the skip button on the screen, even if the phone is locked. 

Find a millennial nearby, I am sure they would love to lend a helping hand. I would if I was close!

Happy Hunting! I hope you get it figured out. Change is not fun sometimes, even on simple things like this. I am sure there are some more Android folks around here that can help. 

23 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

I know absolutely nothing about Android. Some may say I drink the Apple koolaid... Haha

I would imagine they have Spotify/Pandora on Android. You could try those. Its is as simply as touching the skip button on the screen, even if the phone is locked. 

Find a millennial nearby, I am sure they would love to lend a helping hand. I would if I was close!

Happy Hunting! I hope you get it figured out. Change is not fun sometimes, even on simple things like this. I am sure there are some more Android folks around here that can help. 

Haha thanks. For the record... technically, I am a millennial.... whatever I do I need to make easy for my mom who drives me 80% of the time.

I use Spotify on a tablet at home and like it quite a bit. Maybe it's worth paying for premium during the summer months....

Edited by Raimie
12 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Haha thanks. For the record... technically, I am a millennial.... whatever I do I need to make easy for my mom who drives me 80% of the time.

I use Spotify on a tablet at home and like it quite a bit. Maybe it's worth paying for premium during the summer months....

If you are an amazon prime member you are already paying for prime music, which is commercial free and pretty decent.  Just download the app.

16 minutes ago, Raimie said:

I am a millennial as well. My dad is the one driving 90% of the time in our boat too. He is not the most tech savvy but he can keep up after we explain it to him a couple times, not bad for a 67 year old. One of us usually has to jump over there to skip the song or change the playlist when we are ready to. Although everything was done from the phone on our old/current boat, 2001 VLX, we are happy to upgrade and see how much easier it is for us. We had to use the Aux input on the old head unit to play our music, it did have a CD player but we rarely used it. So when it was time to skip songs or change playlists we would see my dad fumble the phone around while trying to keep the speed steady(no PP) and steer and watch the rider. It was quite comical. Then one of us would come to the rescue and take the phone and let him focus on driving. It was a burden with no PP and with the "suckgate" on the side it pulled hard towards whichever side the gate was on. 

17 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

If you are an amazon prime member you are already paying for prime music, which is commercial free and pretty decent.  Just download the app.

Awesome. I will try that.

There is one other caveat to this discussion that I will probably also take heat for... I have a pre-pay cell plan that limits my 4G data to 3 gigs. I would think a few hours every week on the boat won't be an issue, but it's something I will have to keep in mind. You get data past the 3 gigs, but it is really slow and probably wouldn't stream music. So, utilizing the USB loaded with mp3s is still desirable for me. (Not that I can't use a multi-faceted approach)

Edited by Raimie