Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any one upgrade there 2017 21 VLX yet?

2017vlxpanda

Are you hoping to get size and shape from pics? Its a composite material and its size/shape will be influenced by the boat its in. This may be one reason the 21vlx does not have one. Be much easier to just spec out your own shape and size that fits and gives you close to 1.0 ft3 internal volume. 

We only surf but were still not happy with how loud we needed to play the stereo to hear it surfing. So I added a second pair of Icon 8s to my 2017 21 VLX thinking this would help. It helped a little but not a lot. So I had my dealer added a factory surf pipe. Not only did it help with the fumes but we can now hear the music clearly from the tower speakers while surfing without blasting everyone sitting in the back of the boat.  The surf pipe was pricy, $1,500 but you can't order a 21 VLX from the factory with it. Dumb. The only other good option I added was a 400lb sack in the area where the batteries use to be stored. I had to build a divider to protect the amps from getting splashed.  It made the wave much longer wave without having to put a sack on the seats up front.     

• Like 2
On 8/30/2017 at 11:02 AM, JeffC said:

Curious if you have had any issues with the amp dropping out at low volume (like conversational volume sitting in a cove). 

My 17' 21 VLX does this consistently.  It is only the interior speakers.  The tower speakers do not drop out.  I can turn the tower speakers down to 0 volume and isolate the interior speakers.  As you turn down the volume the problem gets worse and worse.  The lower the volume the more/longer the dropouts.  It usually requires being below about 5 or so volume setting.  The issue really isn't noticed on the lake as a volume setting of 4 or lower on a windy lake you can't even hear so radio is always higher than that.

My bigger stereo problem is my tower speakers which emit a very loud static sound even at 0 volume setting after the stereo is powered on for more than about 30 minutes or so.  The static is so loud it can be heard 50+ft from the boat.  Dealer picked up boat at the house and it spent 9 days at the dealership to fix the two stereo issues.  Neither the interior dropout or tower speaker problem was fixed.  They said they couldn't make it do it.  Guess next time I will have to start it making the sound at home, leave stereo on and pull to the dealership and let them hear it.  Waiting until season ends before attempting to get them to fix it a second time.

Interior dropout on volume of 4 setting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zROoI2DyhTg

• Like 2
On 9/15/2017 at 0:34 PM, D_Turner said:

My 17' 21 VLX does this consistently.  It is only the interior speakers.  The tower speakers do not drop out.  I can turn the tower speakers down to 0 volume and isolate the interior speakers.  As you turn down the volume the problem gets worse and worse.  The lower the volume the more/longer the dropouts.  It usually requires being below about 5 or so volume setting.  The issue really isn't noticed on the lake as a volume setting of 4 or lower on a windy lake you can't even hear so radio is always higher than that.

My bigger stereo problem is my tower speakers which emit a very loud static sound even at 0 volume setting after the stereo is powered on for more than about 30 minutes or so.  The static is so loud it can be heard 50+ft from the boat.  Dealer picked up boat at the house and it spent 9 days at the dealership to fix the two stereo issues.  Neither the interior dropout or tower speaker problem was fixed.  They said they couldn't make it do it.  Guess next time I will have to start it making the sound at home, leave stereo on and pull to the dealership and let them hear it.  Waiting until season ends before attempting to get them to fix it a second time.

The dropout is exactly the same problem as I have, only I hear it at higher volumes than that too.   The louder it goes, the less it does it. 

On 9/17/2017 at 0:39 AM, 2008vlx said:

Had the issues with the amp dropping out at low volume. there is a remapping from malibu for that. solved the problem on 2 22 VLX here. ask your dealer.

I am very interested in more details on this.   Have been working with the dealer all season to resolve this problem unsuccessfully.   They have replaced the amp, and supposedly have a new black box on order.    Is there a service bulletin for this?   Anything else you can share?   PM is fine too... there are several of us who are trying to resolve (different dealers).

On 9/15/2017 at 1:34 PM, D_Turner said:

This is a result of the "noise gate" on the amplifier turning on. Unfortunately its not adjustable by the end user. At low volumne the "noise gate" turns off the amp outputs so there is no noise. Its kind of a band aid to help cover stereo noise issues. There were a few amp companies back in the day that used to use them. Wet Sounds has told me it is adjustable, but you need their software to do it.

Tower speaker static could be a pinched wire somewhere. or an issue internal on the amp that doesnt act up until everything is warm or hot.

Edited by COOP
14 minutes ago, JeffC said:

I am very interested in more details on this.   Have been working with the dealer all season to resolve this problem unsuccessfully.   They have replaced the amp, and supposedly have a new black box on order.    Is there a service bulletin for this?   Anything else you can share?   PM is fine too... there are several of us who are trying to resolve (different dealers).

I think on the newer boats the plug in programmer they use at the factory to setup the amps has changed the noise gate setting. Your dealer should be able to replace the amp under warranty. The new one they order should be setup with the newer settings.

Edited by COOP
28 minutes ago, JeffC said:

They have send a DSP programmer to my dealer (small box with cable). Then you just (copy from email from malibu):

"It's pretty easy. If you look under the removeable top part on the amp you will see a little white plug. Turn the system on and then plug the programmer into it. Press and immediately let up on the button on the programmer and a red light will turn on. When it goes back to blue lights leave the programmer in and then turn the stereo off and then back on. The amp will be programmed and then you can remove the programmer."

Absolutely no need to change the amp and the remapping is 2-3 seconds.

Hope this help.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

OK so over the weekend I traded in my Icon8 and picked up a new set of REV10 from the local shop in town. Was told it would mount right up to the 2017 VLX. Went to install them today but the speakers are much bigger than the Icon8 that they hit the tower hoop when i attempted to mount the on the shelf that the icon8's were mounted to. I know this might sound basic and silly but is there a bracket that can be purchased to mount them to the tower (I do not want to drill any holes on the hoop). 

Really hoping the factory amp that was powering the Icon8's has enough juice to push the REV10. Im sure itll be underpowered but was hoping not to upgrade amps just yet. Any shops in the Central Valley have the knowledge of retuning our 2017 factory wetsounds amps? 

6 hours ago, 2017vlxpanda said:

OK so over the weekend I traded in my Icon8 and picked up a new set of REV10 from the local shop in town. Was told it would mount right up to the 2017 VLX. Went to install them today but the speakers are much bigger than the Icon8 that they hit the tower hoop when i attempted to mount the on the shelf that the icon8's were mounted to. I know this might sound basic and silly but is there a bracket that can be purchased to mount them to the tower (I do not want to drill any holes on the hoop). 

Really hoping the factory amp that was powering the Icon8's has enough juice to push the REV10. Im sure itll be underpowered but was hoping not to upgrade amps just yet. Any shops in the Central Valley have the knowledge of retuning our 2017 factory wetsounds amps? 

Chucktronic’s should

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MLA said:

Sounds G3 Dual https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/ta-malibu.html

Although the Rev-10 will handle more wattage, the OEM Syn-DX2DSP will drive them fine and you still gain a little volume and mid-base due to the increase in speaker size. 

@MLA so going with the wetsounds G3 dual bracket is a better option than going with the G3 single bracket? 

Thank you. 

The G3 single will work, however. Most prefer the dual as it gets the speaker pod as high as possible making for better head room lass in-your-face for aft seated passengers. Also means you one have to make another change if a 2nd pair is ever added. Never say never :whistle: 

• Like 2

@MLA its human nature to want more.... lol. 

For those who have purchased the 2017 Malibu 21 VLX here is a run down of the exact components of your stereo system by wetsounds (Direct from the factory)

6312038, WS Amp, Subwoofer + Interior, SYN6, Malibu, '17-, Malibu-SYN-DX-DSP-6

6312039, WS Amp, Tower Speakers, SYN2, Malibu, '17-, Malibu-SYN-DX-DSP-2

6352036.1-BLK, Speaker, Tower, Malibu 8" ICON8 (Coax), Black, Split Sun, Katalyst, '15- (speaker only 6169304-SP)

6312032, WS 6.5" Interior Speakers, Malibu, '17-

6312035, Malibu 12" Subwoofer , '17-, Malibu-XS-12 S4 v2

Anyone have any advice on upgrading the int. WS 6.5s? I've blown 2 this season.  They're under warranty but I'm thinking of upgrading them first before the icon8 to Rev 10 swap. 

On 10/10/2017 at 2:40 PM, MLA said:

Yes, solve the reason they are blowing. Sounds like an amp or source issue. 

I did not look at the first speaker but I will this one when I remove it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I resently purchased a set of rev10s and a wetsounds amp to power them. Does anyone know where I can plug in the aux cables to power this additional sub? Do I have to splice it into the existing aux cables?  I have a 2017 21’ vlx

On 9/10/2017 at 0:40 PM, ConnollyCrew said:

Many people are making harnesses to avoid the splicing. I will see if I can find any that can be purchased. I beleive @wbama387 made his own.

Arty luck finding this harness?