Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to Upgrade Our T22

BlknYlwT22

41 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

i love all this chat about "i want a simple boat that I can maintain...." who exactly is going to do their own work or try and replace parts on an axis / malibu that is covered bow to stern by a 5yr warranty. 

I do. It is a big deal for me to get my boat to the dealer. Lotsa time and effort. Very inconvenient. On my last boat I had a cracked fitting on my fuel tank. Covered under warranty, my dealer was willing to ship me the part so I could replace it myself. Took me about 10 minutes to replace. Would have spent half a day getting the boat to the dealer and another half of a day getting it back.

cracked fittings is something that can happen on all boats no matter the tech. Let me know what the dealer says when you ask to replace surf gate actuator or the black box for the radio, or the lcd on an axis. highly doubt they will ship you the part.

For us our dealer provides 3yrs of free oil changes, and $99 to come dock side to do it. Thats about $20 more than me paying for the oil myself so i eat the dock side cost and if i have any issues with the boat i give them a list and they resolve them when they come out under warranty. 

We are getting further and further away from being able to wrench on our own boats much like our cars. besides maitenance.

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

cracked fittings is something that can happen on all boats no matter the tech. Let me know what the dealer says when you ask to replace surf gate actuator or the black box for the radio, or the lcd on an axis. highly doubt they will ship you the part.

For us our dealer provides 3yrs of free oil changes, and $99 to come dock side to do it. Thats about $20 more than me paying for the oil myself so i eat the dock side cost and if i have any issues with the boat i give them a list and they resolve them when they come out under warranty. 

We are getting further and further away from being able to wrench on our own boats much like our cars. besides maitenance.

She’s not complaining. She simply answered your question of who works on their own boats that are still covered under warranty.... 

And I bet most dealers would let you replace a larger item. It may just come with a clause that the work isn’t covered for future claims.

And your dealer is one of the free that would offer that oil change deal.

Start a pole you’d be surprised on how many people on here do their own oil changes and winterizing regardless of age of their boat. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Those are all maintenance items. Most warranty stuff has started to be required to go through dealer, like car manufacturers. They then charge back to manufacture after the repair is done properly. 

I wish we could still work on our own boats but this is the direction it’s going and I’m glad axis and bu back up those product with 5yr warranty

8 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

She’s not complaining. She simply answered your question of who works on their own boats that are still covered under warranty.... 

And I bet most dealers would let you replace a larger item. It may just come with a clause that the work isn’t covered for future claims.

And your dealer is one of the free that would offer that oil change deal.

Start a pole you’d be surprised on how many people on here do their own oil changes and winterizing regardless of age of their boat. 

Thanks @ahopkinsTXi, you got it for sure.

And yes, @agarabaghi if I had a surf gate actuator or the black box for the radio, or the lcd go bad, I would try to fix it on my own before bringing in my boat for service. If my dealer was able to help me/confirm that I root caused the issue down to a particular part like you mentioned, I would absolutely be working with them to get the part sent to me so I could replace it. Send the defective part back to the dealer and they can work it out with Malibu. My hubs and I are pretty handy & my dad was an auto mechanic for 40 years, I think between the 3 of us, we could get it figured out.

Just because you don't change your oil or winterize your engine (probably not necessary in FL;) ), doesn't mean that a lot of people don't do this themselves. Maybe its a territorial thing, but the midwest is full of DIY'ers.

My dealer never saw my boar after they sold it to me. Shipped out warranty items and had my mechanic install it. Fuel pumps, electronic throttle control and a ruder unit all under warranty. 

Just make a good relationship. 

ahopkins22LSV
11 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

Those are all maintenance items. Most warranty stuff has started to be required to go through dealer, like car manufacturers. They then charge back to manufacture after the repair is done properly. 

I wish we could still work on our own boats but this is the direction it’s going and I’m glad axis and bu back up those product with 5yr warranty

You brought those items up lol. Are you having a debate with yourself?

And again you are just assuming everyone that says they want a simpler boat still has the dealer do the work. Then you get one person who responds with an example and you say that doesn’t count because it’s a standard part. Ok... Good talk. Then you bring up oil changes and get another response that you don’t like so you try to debunk that too. Don’t ask for facts if you can’t accept them when you get a response. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 2

Flush Kit - Worth having?

I have the flush kit and love it. I installed the Flush Pro and later had my dealer install the thru-hull fitting on the transom (it was the first year i had the boat and i couldn't bring myself to drilling a hole - lol). 

I use if for winterizing running and de-winterizing running on the trailer - it is a quick hook up.  I have also used it a few times after being on a lake that was not very clean just to flush out anything i might have picked up.   

id be super curious to see is any dealer with the new warranty program on axis and malibu will honor that deal of sending parts to a user. Seems like such a liability headache.

My 2006 X1 with 2300 was solely wrenched on by me, but thats a boat from a different generation, with no factory warranty on components. But hey enjoy the new boat and I have a feeling you wont need your dealer to service anything! our 2017 has been flawless for 100hours since august. 

22 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

i love all this chat about "i want a simple boat that I can maintain...." who exactly is going to do their own work or try and replace parts on an axis / malibu that is covered bow to stern by a 5yr warranty. 

For me the warrenty is just a safety net.  Simpler boats will have less problems, less vinyl to get damaged, cheaper repairs...etc.  It's more about minimize risk of lost time on the water then about who is doing the repair.  Summers are short here in MN. 

This is hard for me to admit... I hate boats. But, I love what the boat allows me to do, be on the water all summer, water sports, teaching people how to wake/surf/ski, having the kidos out on the water.  Adding complexity to a boat just makes ownership more stressful for me.

To try to get this back on topic, it's hard to directly compare an Axis to a Malibu. The best way to try to make a decision is ask questions about the Malibu specific features and see what people's opinions are on those features.  When a question on a specific upgrade/feature comes up you will get a lot of specifics, Pros and cons.  Then you can decided if it's worth the added cost in money or age of the boat.